R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
still wont fit fk04 eh?

Is it feasable to run this pack 3 qaulifiers and a main in one night race? At 90$ thats about 3 nihm backs of the lower matched level. Sort of inline with the spec theme of this pack...So its starting to look almost affordable if, if it can be used and abused. Can it take the recharging and discharging in a quick paced evening race? Or would there be time to get it recharged?
you could setup the fk04 with a 6 cell side by side and a battery strap. I beleive that will fit the lipo packs. and with them being lighter, it should not unbalance the fk04 much.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Orion LiPO pack Review

I have been using these Orion/Peak racing 4800 LiPo packs for 5 months now, as well as a couple of other racers at our local tracks. They are much lighter than regular 6 cell packs, and have more power, punch, and longer run times than 4200-4300 cells. They can be cahrged over and over time after time, and need no recharging. They keep very cool compared to 6 cell packs, and have given me or m friends no trouble whatsoever. THey fit perfectly on the HB Cyclone, Yokomo MR4TC-BD, Yokomo LCG, PRO 4, FT TC4, and most of the guys at our area are using them for practice and set up. We are going to start allowing them now for regular club racing in stock, 19t, and mod, since they are so much lighter and easier on the motors, and have much longer run times, so we can run 7 min mod, and 8 min in 19t and stock. THis is the way to go...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Will this LiPo have to be charged at 3.2 amps?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
still wont fit fk04 eh?

Is it feasable to run this pack 3 qaulifiers and a main in one night race? At 90$ thats about 3 nihm backs of the lower matched level. Sort of inline with the spec theme of this pack...So its starting to look almost affordable if, if it can be used and abused. Can it take the recharging and discharging in a quick paced evening race? Or would there be time to get it recharged?
I can not answer the question about your car..

But... Discharge.... no need. Running, in Stock 27T, you can get about 20 to 23 mins out of the 4800 pack. I run mine for the quaifiers then charge it a bit for the main, just to play it safe. When I come off the track, I charge it, no waiting for it cold down. Affordable, think of it this way, this one pack should replace the 2 batteries (if that is what you use) and you get a LOT more runs out of this pack, and you get the same punch time after time, with out topping it off.

I can not tell what dream it is to have the 4800 pack, and as soon as my other batteies go, I will be replacing them with LIPO...

Our track allows them.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
If you have a ICE charger, and you set the cap. to 3200, yes, the max will be 3.2. Maybe with other charges you can change this, as people have been known to charge them higher, but that is risky move... Why play with this, when the safe way is to charge per the MFG instructions... But that is your call...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

Joel, that's the beauty of the LiPo's. You can run only a little bit of the energy out of the pack and stick it right back on the charger. You don't have to worry about heat buildup either because they actually cool as they charge. And there is ZERO memory effect to worry about.

So... Yes, you can use it for 3 quals and a main in a fast paced club race environment. You won't have any issues at all as long as you use the proper charger and use it correctly.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #37
Tech Addict

As the Designer of both the 4800 Platinum and 3200 Race Spec I wanted to answer some questions both current, future and past:

The Flat Spot - The flat spot down the center bottom can be used to put VelcroŽ or servo tape for those wanting an even more secure fit. For those willing to go further you could drill holes through the bottom but this will more then likely void your warranty (though we have less then .1% failure rate so warranties rarely if ever get used) the battery as a whole is compact enough that those with buggies will not have to run the battery upside down.

The Capacity - The capacity is less for three primary reasons:
1. This allows a more similar performance to today's matched 4200/4300 Ni-MH cells in runtime, allowing it to be easier to get approval from various local clubs and racing organizations.
2. The smaller size allows us to use the original shape we wanted for our 4800 but could not due to packaging issues.
3. The lower capacity allows the price to come down making it more accessable to the masses.

Running over and over again - This is a nother advantage of Li-Po that many have yet to discover with zero memory and no dischrging you simply come into the pits and re-peak, you can do this as many times in a row as you wish unlike older technology where there is a "resting period". We have several customers who run multiple cars in a day with one battery. I personally like to have 2-3 and have them pre-charged before I go to the track no waiting for charging just plug in and go. Between Li-Po's and the New Revolution Endbell with plugs my pit space needs have been cut in half as I no longer need to bring: power supply chargers, dischargers, soldering iron, cell trays etc. Just car, radio, tools and spares.

The stick pack shape - I personally think the square shape is a superior design and I feel depending on the future and further meeting with the chassis manufacturers of the world it may go that route as it provides for the lightest and lowest CG. But as many people are hesitant for change we felt the need to provide somthing that represents a common shape to make the transition easier for everyone. Also I wanted to make a battery that could be used by somebody in their first RTR say a Tamiya TL-01 and since the lifespan is so long when they move up to say a cyclone the same battery will still provide them the performance and fitment they require. The final product will very slightly from the images shown as this is our 98% complete shape. The final will fit even better. Some chassis (Xray, Tamiya MSX) will have clearance issues because the bulkheads are designed to tightly conform around a cylindrical cell tightly. However in testing we founf we could use the stick pack chassis option or dremel a small amount away from the bulkhead to provide excellent fitment another more extreme option is to sand the bumps down wich will give the clearance as they are just plastic with nothing inside (however this again may void the warranty)

The 4800's - We will still continue to produce these as they are still very higly desirable as the ability to run 3-4 five minutes races on one single charge* is something that many are drawn to. Plus for those that a just hobbyist and are not in an organized race the longer runtime is something highly desirable. (*depending on the class and motor this runtime can increase and decrease)

We feel now this gives two very good options for Hobbyist and Hardcore Racers alike.

I want to thank all the customer who have called us over the last year with their support to help bring battery technology into the future.

We are at a very revolutionary period in our hobby with many great technologies happening at once and I see great things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
That would be awesome! Then I just gotta contact Orion about my royalties for making that suggestion the week the 4800 came out! LEt me know what you find.
I have bad news for you Or8ital lol! I had this design back in late 2004 before we even released the 4800's and the dated drawings to prove it. We just did not have the cells at the time to make it small enough to make it work. Sorry, but thank you for trying lol! (I assume you are joking about the royalty thing) we do like to see people suggest things we already have in the works and it let's us know we are going the right direction.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
The 4800's - We will still continue to produce these as they are still very higly desirable as the ability to run 3-4 five minutes races on one single charge* is something that many are drawn to. Plus for those that a just hobbyist and are not in an organized race the longer runtime is something highly desirable. (*depending on the class and motor this runtime can increase and decrease)
Do these packs have the same performance over the 2nd and 3rd 5 minutes as they do during the first 5 minutes ?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Quote:
Do these packs have the same performance over the 2nd and 3rd 5 minutes as they do during the first 5 minutes ?
And 5th and 6th and 14th....etc.

Just like the 4800's they do show any signs of degredation from run to run.

We have a pack that we have run weekly for over a year and we have yet to see any loss in voltage compared to a battery we just charged last week for the first time.

Another benefit is say you and 5 of your friends all have the 3200 & 4800's you will all have the same performance punch wise so nobody will have an unfair advantage in power.

The Li-Po cells have near zero power loss do to heat under normal temperature the car will come off the track, the motor will be hot the battery will be the same temp as the ambient. The only time we have been able to get a battery hot under normal conditions was running under extreme temps with a 7x1 for long runs where the chassis itself was baking do to the extreme heat being put off by the motor and esc. Even then we could hold it in our hand as it was not blazing. We took it out of the car it cooled right off and then we put back on the charger in less then a couple of minutes. Once we charged it up we ran it again with out any loss in power.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

^^^YEP. No fade at all.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
You don't have to charge at 3.2 amps (1C). However, I've been testing Kokam LiPo's at work for an non-RC application. Charging at over 2C (2x capacity, or 6.4amps for the 3.2Ah cells), resulted in the battery losing capacity in as little as 40-50 cycles. When charged at 1C, the battery still delivers over 95% capacity at over 200 cycles.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Wow! Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the info, MrBlack.

I'll be hitting up the LHS/track and bugging them to let us run these ASAP. I'm trying to get them to let us run the Novak 13.5 BL in our local stock class right now. As a newbie I'd much rather concentrate on setting up and tweaking my car and practicing driving rather than taking care of batteries and doctoring motors. This would be the perfect combo.

Next question, where are we at getting the RC governing bodies such as ROAR to allow these?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

MR BLACK: Thanks for the post and others too, finally i think im getting the info i want to hear about lipo.....

In theory then i could SHOEGOO my lipo into my chassis and just top off between runs(or not) and go racing. I would imagine showing up fully charged go out for a few practice setup runs and then top off for the qualifiers... I have been watching and posting with doubt the last few months and im starting to feel convinced....

The packs sound to be very liniar and perhaps more consistant from pack to pack. Unlike NIHM where there is spec,sport,race,team and factory driver matched cells... I suppose my next worry or question is Will we see the same trends that nihm and nicads had in the past? Cell comes out say IB3800 you can buy a sport pack for 25$ and a pro pack for 100$... Does Lipo take away the matchers? OR will the days of chasing orion/trinity/smc/ect,ect for the next best HIGH VOLTAGE MATCHED LIPO continue as we do now for nihms?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Business is still business, someone will find a way to "rate" packs and price them accordingly.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
I have bad news for you Or8ital lol! I had this design back in late 2004 before we even released the 4800's and the dated drawings to prove it. We just did not have the cells at the time to make it small enough to make it work. Sorry, but thank you for trying lol! (I assume you are joking about the royalty thing) we do like to see people suggest things we already have in the works and it let's us know we are going the right direction.
Damn! I did mention though the week I got the 4800 (which was the first week) that it should have something on the bottom to let it sit in cars with battery slots better. I wouldnt mind seeing the 4800 retro fit with a new case that had something similar. It is really difficult in my opinion to keep it from sliding around in the newer touring cars. Ive tried everything. Tape is problematic because it wont hit on the sides of the squared off corners and battery straps just wont hold it tight enough.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote