Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #316
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbckevin
Can I charge the lipo with the Much More Racing CTX charger ?
Yes but really really slowly...Max charge rate of 1amp..

The Avionics is the best bang for the buck up to 5amp charge rate, Of course your don't want to charge these at 5 amps...more like 3.2amps but you get the point.......
Plus you already saw how small it is...LOL
-SHookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #317
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
If you are racing standard 5 minute qualifiers, you should be able to do the entire day on one Platinum 4800 battery. You will just re-peak it between qualifiers. Ryan Cavalier and Joe Pillars used the same Platinum 4800 pack for two qualifiers and the main without recharging!

But with the Carbon 3200, you will likely not have enough time to recharge the pack between qualifiers, so you will probably need two.

With either type, two packs is probably the minimum simply to allow you to practice without having to wait for a single battery to recharge.

i ran the Ko race this year with one platinum 4800, it took about 30 to 40 min to repeak, i wish i would have hade a second pack, mainly becase if i wanted to make any changes to the car i had to wait for the pack to charge so double check ride hight and camber..... ( kinda hard to accuratly check those with out a pack in the Car.
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #318
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC
i ran the Ko race this year with one platinum 4800, it took about 30 to 40 min to repeak, i wish i would have hade a second pack, mainly becase if i wanted to make any changes to the car i had to wait for the pack to charge so double check ride hight and camber..... ( kinda hard to accuratly check those with out a pack in the Car.
jason.. you could have gotten two runs. last parking race i ran one pack in back to back 19T qualifers
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #319
Tech Adept

I thought one of the advantages of these batteries was the fact that you didn't have to repeak them. Aren't they supposed to give the same voltage throughout the discharge? If I had a 4800 pack couldn't I run it for many 5 minute heats without recharging?
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #320
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9s
I thought one of the advantages of these batteries was the fact that you didn't have to repeak them. Aren't they supposed to give the same voltage throughout the discharge? If I had a 4800 pack couldn't I run it for many 5 minute heats without recharging?
Repeak with LiPo is more like topping it off. You're recharging it without having to discharge first. It's not like repeaking NiMH to get that extra punch.

Yes, you could run many heats with a 4800 LiPo.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #321
Tech Apprentice

ive always wondered about runtime with the lipo 4800s and 3200s and a 27t motor. how much continuous runtime could i get with that setup before hitting the min volt limit on the packs? and what about with, say novaks 13.5t brushless? would that give me more runtime? and for my last question, which im sure many people won't like, is what if i was using pvc/abs/pe tires for drifting? im assuming that will give me more runtime too since theres alot less resistance and the motors don't have to work as hard.
SSJChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #322
Tech Regular

does anyone know if the Carbon Edition 3200 will fit in the jrx-s
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 AM   #323
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo
Does anyone know who has the 2mm plugs for balancing in stock? I just received the Avionics balancer and Tower has had the plugs "On Order" for awhile now...
I too was waiting for the Team Orion 2mm plug to be in stock... but doing a search for "2mm" at Tower, I got me these:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPY0&P=ML

I just ordered the Great Planes Electrifly Balancer. Looks the same as the Team Orion-Avionics unit.
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #324
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJChar
ive always wondered about runtime with the lipo 4800s and 3200s and a 27t motor. how much continuous runtime could i get with that setup before hitting the min volt limit on the packs?
I have personnally run a 23T at Tamya's facility in a TA-05 and run over 24 min. easy. Everyone drives a little differently and conditions and chassis very so it is very hard to give a specific time. Also the 3200 will give you the same runtime to today's matched high end 4200 IB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJChar
which im sure many people won't like, is what if i was using pvc/abs/pe tires for drifting? im assuming that will give me more runtime too since theres alot less resistance and the motors don't have to work as hard.
With drifting you will usually get more runtime then racing due to less resistance, how much will very from drifter to drifter on how they modulate the throttle.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #325
Tech Apprentice

runtimes sound good. its strange though, because when i go drifting with my cheap ebay 3200mah packs(which charge to around 2850) and a p2k2, they last me for something around 45 minutes when drifting, and others with good gp 3000s or whatever mah incriments they use, have just as good and even better runtimes going into an hour and abit, but can drifting really be that much less, i guess hard on the motor? i really want to try an orion 3200 pack. boy would that last me a good while.
SSJChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #326
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
I have personnally run a 23T at Tamya's facility in a TA-05 and run over 24 min. easy. Everyone drives a little differently and conditions and chassis very so it is very hard to give a specific time. Also the 3200 will give you the same runtime to today's matched high end 4200 IB's.

With drifting you will usually get more runtime then racing due to less resistance, how much will very from drifter to drifter on how they modulate the throttle.
I have used the platinum and reached 28mins with a 23turn RZ and tao5. But I drive pretty conservatively.
I also drift and using a 23turn Type S with my tbo2 with pvc tires, the runtime is a non factor. I could probably use it for more than an hour. I just use 2400mah and run for nearly 40mins. Maybe using rubber compound tires like the tamiya drift tires or yokomo drift tires would yield lesser runtime but definitely not less than onroad ep.
Our video on the tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261rChluIPs
Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #327
Tech Regular

Both stormer hobbies and speedtech don't mention that they won't post these internationally or using airmail, but Tower Hobbies state the lipo's are flammable and can't be shipped via airmail ... is there any truth to that? or are tower just being overly cautious?
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #328
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K
Both stormer hobbies and speedtech don't mention that they won't post these internationally or using airmail, but Tower Hobbies state the lipo's are flammable and can't be shipped via airmail ... is there any truth to that? or are tower just being overly cautious?
They are lumping all LiPo together to simplify their shipping policies when in fact Team Orion and Peak 4800 and 3200 LiPo are internationally certified for air shipment.

It is unfortunate because these blanket policies feed the myth that all LiPo are dangerous.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #329
Tech Fanatic

I got my 3200 and Advanced charger from Stormer today. They came 2 day air.

Two very good looking pieces of equipment. The batt is sooo light and the charger is smaller than I thought it was going to be. Can't wait to try them.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #330
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
I got my 3200 and Advanced charger from Stormer today. They came 2 day air.

Two very good looking pieces of equipment. The batt is sooo light and the charger is smaller than I thought it was going to be. Can't wait to try them.
Wait 'till you pull the trigger and don't have to discharge or peak or worry about heat or anything else. It's hard to believe something so light could create enough power to be so fast after living in a NiMH world all these years. I'm beginning to think I like LiPo more than brushless in terms of how its made racing easier and more fun.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote