R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #301
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fav0re
You pretty much said how I feel about the whole subject. Now it's just a matter of getting my LHS to open up some classes to run with versus not being able to go to the track on race days. I don't see myself compromising much longer...
What is your track's argument against LiPo?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #302
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I know there's a lot of politics involved, but it's absolutely unbelievable that people would choose, even fight for brushed motors and NiMH batteries over the BL/LiPo combo.
Well your first line said it all in your first line.

Politics...

On a national scale, people still don't want to accept BL/Lipo. Mostly hiding behind safety concerns.(even while we all look a pictures of the "safe" NiMH packs blowing holes in walls when treated badly ). Its all politics at this point. The people who like the status quo will fight for it. But for most people, replacing brushes every couple runs, cutting comms every couple runs, hauling 30lbs. extra gear to the track just to condition, manage, and boost brushed motors and NiMH batteries.......... ...........it all just gets old after a while.

On a local scale, people have to deal with the initial criticism, and just let the class take hold. Eventually even the critics will have to adapt. I don't know if you remember, but around here, the initial proposal of BL/LiPo met with HEAVY resistance. Now, even some of the critics are running the class and having fun.

You say its "absolutely unbelievable" that people would fight for the old way. Its not so unbelievable when you factor in human nature. People hate change. Even when its clearly for the better.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #303
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
On a local scale, people have to deal with the initial criticism, and just let the class take hold. Eventually even the critics will have to adapt. I don't know if you remember, but around here, the initial proposal of BL/LiPo met with HEAVY resistance. Now, even some of the critics are running the class and having fun.
Yea, I was kind of pondering this the other day. 12th scale has been almost gutted as all the guys are dusting off their sedans, and running with us in 4300. It's all smiles in the 4300 class after every race. I think there's 15 guys now, locally that are running or gearing up for the class. I can't wait for the switch to Sunday, it means two nights of club racing each week. Sweet!

I'm putting my Cell Master, CTX-D, and Power Master up for sale after the wedding (3 weeks away). The Avionics charger and Power Master Mini is all I need. I don't even bring a soldering iron to the track anymore.

Thanks for the update Rick, I appreciate it. I'll just use a dab of glue if the case thing becomes an issue. Good luck in Cleveland.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #304
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I know they're a competitor, but the MuchMore Power Master Mini is a really nice companion for the Avionics charger. Mine showed up today, and didn't break a sweat powering the charger. It's small, inexpensive (~$55) and quiet. Now I can add its 24A brother to the list of equipment to sell.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #305
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Does anyone know who has the 2mm plugs for balancing in stock? I just received the Avionics balancer and Tower has had the plugs "On Order" for awhile now...
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey will the 3200 lipo fit in my schumacher mi2 ec? ie what tourers does it fit?
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:16 AM   #307
Tech Fanatic

WOOO Freakin HOOOOO! Both Stormer and Tower have these in stock as of this morning. You can find them at the following links.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=ORN14001

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNMF9&P=IA

I just picked up one and an Advantage Charger. Unfortunately for now I'll probably just be using it for practice.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #308
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo
Does anyone know who has the 2mm plugs for balancing in stock? I just received the Avionics balancer and Tower has had the plugs "On Order" for awhile now...
You can call Team Orion USA directly to buy these. We have them in stock.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #309
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Sweet now I can support my LHS shop since I have had these on back order for almost two months...

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #310
Tech Fanatic

Default How many Lipo pack do you need?

I am thinking about getting some Lipo packs for buggy racing. Assuming we probably have about one hour between qualifiers is that enough time for the Lipo pack to cool down and be charged. Would two Lipo packs be the minimum for race day?
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #311
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow
I am thinking about getting some Lipo packs for buggy racing. Assuming we probably have about one hour between qualifiers is that enough time for the Lipo pack to cool down and be charged. Would two Lipo packs be the minimum for race day?
If you are racing standard 5 minute qualifiers, you should be able to do the entire day on one Platinum 4800 battery. You will just re-peak it between qualifiers. Ryan Cavalier and Joe Pillars used the same Platinum 4800 pack for two qualifiers and the main without recharging!

But with the Carbon 3200, you will likely not have enough time to recharge the pack between qualifiers, so you will probably need two.

With either type, two packs is probably the minimum simply to allow you to practice without having to wait for a single battery to recharge.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #312
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
If you are racing standard 5 minute qualifiers, you should be able to do the entire day on one Platinum 4800 battery. You will just re-peak it between qualifiers. Ryan Cavalier and Joe Pillars used the same Platinum 4800 pack for two qualifiers and the main without recharging!

But with the Carbon 3200, you will likely not have enough time to recharge the pack between qualifiers, so you will probably need two.

With either type, two packs is probably the minimum simply to allow you to practice without having to wait for a single battery to recharge.
Wow! Thanks for the quick response Rick.

I guess two lipos are still cheaper than 4 nimhs.

While I got you online. I have an Advantage charger without the lipo feature. Can my charger be updated for Lipo charging?

Thanks
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #313
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow
Wow! Thanks for the quick response Rick.

I guess two lipos are still cheaper than 4 nimhs.

While I got you online. I have an Advantage charger without the lipo feature. Can my charger be updated for Lipo charging?

Thanks
Sorry, but we are unable to update it to the newer version.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #314
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

No but you can buy an Orion Avionics Advantage for less than $90.00 that will take up less space on in your pit...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #315
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Can I charge the lipo with the Much More Racing CTX charger ?