R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #286
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

No not done with lipo. I think it is great. Unfortunately the 2 tracks I race at dont agree. I used them in an enduro and they worked out well for that. Other then that I never use them.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #287
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ah, that's too bad to hear.

I think if our local track made us switch away from SS4300's and LiPo's after these last few weeks, most of the guys would rather quit.

I know there's a bunch of politics involved in using these things, but anybody that's raced in a class that allows them for a few weeks will wonder why they ever used anything else. I hope your tracks get with it. :-(

If I ever open a track, I may ban NiMH and brushed motors entirely, just out of spite. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #288
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Ah, that's too bad to hear.

I think if our local track made us switch away from SS4300's and LiPo's after these last few weeks, most of the guys would rather quit.

I know there's a bunch of politics involved in using these things, but anybody that's raced in a class that allows them for a few weeks will wonder why they ever used anything else. I hope your tracks get with it. :-(

If I ever open a track, I may ban NiMH and brushed motors entirely, just out of spite. :-D
Yeah Ive thought the same. If I ran a track I would only encourage the brushless/lipo classes.

Posted my two 4800s on the for sale forum for anyone interested.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #289
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Here no more complaining...

As of this post they are in stock here...
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=133&id=6266

Hope that settles you down..LOL
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #290
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Never mind he's out of stock now..LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Here no more complaining...

As of this post they are in stock here...
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=133&id=6266

Hope that settles you down..LOL
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #291
Tech Lord

What settings would you use on the Avionics charger to charge the 3200 packs?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #292
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
What settings would you use on the Avionics charger to charge the 3200 packs?
charge it at 1C.. so set the avionics at 3200mah. and it'll charge it at 3.2amps.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #293
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

double post
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks

Last edited by Hebiki; 10-12-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #294
Tech Addict

Just an FYI we still make the 4800mah packs as they provide better runtime and a great fit for monster trucks. Plus our Team drivers like they they fit in there 2WD buggies as well as the weight factor for offroad.

The 3200mAh is just providing another option in shape and weight for those who think the 4800's are too much of an advantage or have specific fitment needs.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #295
Tech Lord

Hi guys. I got my two Peak branded 3200 packs today, and they're as beautiful as I had hoped. I'll be running them at our club race tomorrow night.

I'm not sure if this is something you'll hear more about, but the case on both of my packs wasn't glued on one side. It's visibly open, slightly exposing the contents of the pack. It honestly looks like someone forgot to glue that side shut, and it will stick shut if you press on it, but pops open easily. I don't think the cells are swolen, I peaked (no pun intended) in there, and they looked okay. Hopefully you don't have a whole batch that way.

The pack fits nicely in my RDX. My only concern is that it's narrow, and can slide around in the battery slots with a decent push. Do you have any suggestions on how to secure it? I put some rubber o-rings under the battery strap which puts a lot more pressure on the pack and helps hold it in place, but I think it's tweaking the car when I do that, because the topdeck is hard to take off with the battery mounted. Normally it just drops right on top of the bulkheads.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #296
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I'd be curious as to how much you RDX weighs with the new packs. I know when I had my RDX...a long time ago...pre TRF,it was silly light! I thought about using the new packs, but I am worried I would have to add too much weight all over to get up to our 51oz. rule. My TA05 is a pig, and with the Platinum I am still light at around 50oz....which is no big deal...but to add another 2.5oz. of lead??? That's a lot of weight. I don't know where I could put 3.5 oz. of lead!! lol Plus right now my car is almost nuts on ballanced with the platinum.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #297
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I'd be curious as to how much you RDX weighs with the new packs. I know when I had my RDX...a long time ago...pre TRF,it was silly light! I thought about using the new packs, but I am worried I would have to add too much weight all over to get up to our 51oz. rule. My TA05 is a pig, and with the Platinum I am still light at around 50oz....which is no big deal...but to add another 2.5oz. of lead??? That's a lot of weight. I don't know where I could put 3.5 oz. of lead!! lol Plus right now my car is almost nuts on ballanced with the platinum.
I sold off all my scales, but I'll be at Fastlane tomorrow (you coming out?) and will figure out how I'm going to make weight. I have a bunch of those Corally weights that I got with a used car that I stacked double tall behind the battery, and a couple I put up front. The car is notoriously nose heavy, so I used it as an opportunity to shift some weight to the rear. No idea how close I am to 51oz, but it still feels light. I'll probably have to go ghetto and load up my battery strap with weight too.

The new packs are so light when you pick them up that they don't feel real. It feels like you're picking up a toy or something. I don't have anywhere to drive the car until tomorrow, but I can tell you by the way the drive train sounds at full throttle that it's faster than it was with a peaked 3800. I've got three weeks on our current layout, so I'll have a decent idea of what kind of difference it makes after a night's worth of lap times.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #298
Tech Lord

I ran the packs tonight. No problem alternating between two of them. It takes about 40-50 minutes to charge one after running it in a 5 minute heat (4300 motor). The car had a lot more punch than it did with my old 3800's, and was noticeably faster on the straights as well. The performance difference isn't huge, but it's definitely real. The car felt every bit as punchy at the end of the race as it did at the beginning. There's no fade at all with the BL/LiPo combo.

The real story is the 18 pounds of gear and batteries I was able to leave at home in lieu of a tiny charger, mini power supply and two featherweight packs. And, the absolute and utter lack of required maintenance or worrying about taking care of packs. Wow.

I know there's a lot of politics involved, but it's absolutely unbelievable that people would choose, even fight for brushed motors and NiMH batteries over the BL/LiPo combo. This is so much more rewarding than the ridiculous ritual I did in the past with batteries and motors. I had more fun racing tonight than I did with old technology. It's just that simple. I loved racing before, but I love it more now.

Thanks again, Orion. I'm still not sure how I should handle the case on both my new packs being partially opened right out of the box. A little super glue?
Old 10-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
There's no fade at all with the BL/LiPo combo.

The real story is the 18 pounds of gear and batteries I was able to leave at home in lieu of a tiny charger, mini power supply and two featherweight packs. And, the absolute and utter lack of required maintenance or worrying about taking care of packs. Wow.

I know there's a lot of politics involved, but it's absolutely unbelievable that people would choose, even fight for brushed motors and NiMH batteries over the BL/LiPo combo. This is so much more rewarding than the ridiculous ritual I did in the past with batteries and motors. I had more fun racing tonight than I did with old technology. It's just that simple. I loved racing before, but I love it more now.
You pretty much said how I feel about the whole subject. Now it's just a matter of getting my LHS to open up some classes to run with versus not being able to go to the track on race days. I don't see myself compromising much longer...
fav0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #300
Tech Elite

Quote:
I ran the packs tonight. No problem alternating between two of them. It takes about 40-50 minutes to charge one after running it in a 5 minute heat (4300 motor). The car had a lot more punch than it did with my old 3800's, and was noticeably faster on the straights as well. The performance difference isn't huge, but it's definitely real. The car felt every bit as punchy at the end of the race as it did at the beginning. There's no fade at all with the BL/LiPo combo.

Thanks again, Orion. I'm still not sure how I should handle the case on both my new packs being partially opened right out of the box. A little super glue?
I am very excited to read about your first impressions! You can use a small bit of super glue to hold the case together. The way the battery (and the 4800) is assembled, the case can separate a bit. But it will not come apart.

We saw a coouple of separated packs that we fixed before shipping. So I am not sure if your packs were just missedor if they separated in transit. Regardless, we are already in theprocess of fixing the problem.