R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #256
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Anthony has a bunch of tire weights taped to his battery strap to make weight. It's really ugly! :-D He's got more tire weights on his FK05 than I've got on my real car.

Quote:
I have no idea how many weights I'm going to end up needing with the new battery, but I'm sure it's going to require some creativity, and possibly a small business loan.
I used those ugly grey square weights you can get at any hobbystore. 8 (2oz) of them in all. Yuk! And anybody who knows how long I spend on wiring layouts, knows the look of my car is important to me, so those weights are absolutely KILLING me! But it had to be done, and for the close racing I've been hearing about in that class, I'm willing to suck it up.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #257
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
i think those are the same - are you trying to use the new top deck - i can get my orion platinum to fit fine with the stock chassis, it is the 3.9 that won't fit - i just connect it at the rear of the car where the top deck actually is inbetween the connectors...
Yea, I'm using the new topdeck which seems to conveniently block all access to the holes. I really liked how it felt on the track though. Plus, if that's the design for the new car, and I decide to stay with Corally, seems like I'm going to need some kind of access to the connector under the deck. :-(
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #258
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I used those ugly grey square weights you can get at any hobbystore. 8 (2oz) of them in all. Yuk! And anybody who knows how long I spend on wiring layouts, knows the look of my car is important to me, so those weights are absolutely KILLING me! But it had to be done, and for the close racing I've been hearing about in that class, I'm willing to suck it up.
I'm the same way, I like my stuff to look fast. I guess it's vanity.

Man, the SS4300/LiPo class is so damn fun. It really makes you want to reach out through the Internet and bitch smack these people who are trying to naysay brushless and LiPo.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #259
Regional Moderator

Quote:
I'm the same way, I like my stuff to look fast. I guess it's vanity.
Vanity. Well jezzz...you make people like us sound so bad when you say it that way.

Quote:
Man, the SS4300/LiPo class is so damn fun. It really makes you want to reach out through the Internet and bitch smack these people who are trying to naysay brushless and LiPo.
People fear change...and fear a level playing field even more. So don't be mad at the naysayers. Just pitty them, and be waiting with open arms and a hearty "welcome to the class" when they finally make the switch.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #260
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Will these work? They're 90 degrees.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPY2&P=ML
these are smaller.. but the good thing about this, you have something to grip. so when unplugging from the lipo. its easier to unplug.

the larger ones that are required for the lipo, even if you solder at a 90deg. angle. its not as strong and is harder to grab. if you solder it straight into the plug... ive had the wire come out even after soldering it and wrapping it in shrink wrap.

hopefully someone comes out with a connector thats the same as the one that syndrome has above, BUT fits the bigger connector.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
syndrome,

i belive they are the right diameter but are too short - i could be wrong, but i don't think i am....

as for the weights, i am about to do some solder weights like AWD did to his - just take your chassis and mold your own weights with solder and then tape the weights to the battery.

AWD's battery works great and helps with weight as well, but you will still need to add some more weight - on top of the battery strap is perfect
AWD=ME : )

Cool initials huh?
Andrew William Doherty

I know MCGoo said to jsut melt the solder in yur chassis, but I just wanted to clarify. Melt all the solder on a piece of wood to allow the rosin core to get out and be absorbed BEFORE you let it harden and then place the blob in the cell slot. Other wise you'll have a MESSY rosin mess all over your chassis. Amazingly the heat from the solder doesn't damage the CF AT ALL!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 10-04-2006 at 01:33 PM.
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #262
Tech Addict

Hello Everyone,

The connectors listed above are 3.5 mm unfortunatley they are too small these are the same size as the one's we use on out new V2 endbell.

The connectors needed for the Platinum and the Carbon are 4mm and are called Orion Twisted Gold plugs #ori40003

You can also use the Avionics plugs http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ac...onnectorsPlugs they have a little lip that may help with what you are doing.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #263
Tech Addict

Also just a little tip on having to weigh chassis.

The industry as a whole knows the motor hanging off the side is not the best solution especially since Batteries get heavier and heavier and electronics get lighter and lighter.

Even the push by few for 4 cell is creating a concern amoungst chassis engineers and I think you may find a more centralized placement of things in the future.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 10-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #264
Tech Lord

Will the carbon batteries come with some male connectors for our ESC wires, or should I plan on purchasing those separately? I need 4MM, right?

How long, you think, until the hobby shops start sending these to customers? Another two weeks or so? I'm using some aging 3800s in our brushless class, and I've got noticeably less rip than the guys running LiPo. It's somewhat close on the straights, but they murder me out of the turns. I'm anxious to remedy that little issue. :-D
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #265
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Also just a little tip on having to weigh chassis.

The industry as a whole knows the motor hanging off the side is not the best solution especially since Batteries get heavier and heavier and electronics get lighter and lighter.

Even the push by few for 4 cell is creating a concern amoungst chassis engineers and I think you may find a more centralized placement of things in the future.
The JRX-S TypeR is really going to test this theory, especially if LiPo becomes legal, and weight limits are dropped.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #266
Tech Addict

Quote:
Will the carbon batteries come with some male connectors for our ESC wires, or should I plan on purchasing those separately? I need 4MM, right?
Yes they will come with two male connectors wired to a Tamiya style connector. The reason we do this is by far the largst seeling battery conficguration is still the stick pack, also batteries either come with a tamya connector or now connector at all so those that use other connectors are obviuosely capable of resoldering.

Quote:
How long, you think, until the hobby shops start sending these to customers? Another two weeks or so?
We are scheduled to recieve them into our locations in the U.S.and Europe tomorrow. There was delay with the shipping company that delayed things by a couple of days. We will be sending them out next week and you should see them arriving in better hobbyshops within the next 10 working days.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #267
Tech Lord

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I've got another two or three race nights worth of lame old NiMH in my car. I hope you guys sell a million of these things, you deserve it. I don't know about the rest of the world, but locally, you're making people love racing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Yes they will come with two male connectors wired to a Tamiya style connector. The reason we do this is by far the largst seeling battery conficguration is still the stick pack, also batteries either come with a tamya connector or now connector at all so those that use other connectors are obviuosely capable of resoldering.

We are scheduled to recieve them into our locations in the U.S.and Europe tomorrow. There was delay with the shipping company that delayed things by a couple of days. We will be sending them out next week and you should see them arriving in better hobbyshops within the next 10 working days.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #268
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

WORD...............

-Shookie <><

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Sounds like I've got another two or three race nights worth of lame old NiMH in my car. I hope you guys sell a million of these things, you deserve it. I don't know about the rest of the world, but locally, you're making people love racing again.
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #269
Regional Moderator

Quote:
I hope you guys sell a million of these things, you deserve it.
They certainly do!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #270
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

One suggestion I would like to see with these packs is maybe in the next gereration to add weight internally to match the weight of say a 3800mah Nimh pack. To really keep with the current TC's handling the same. I am going to lay weight into the recess anyway to match my 4200's weight and then put a sweet Carbon Fiber sticker over it that way until the current rules change I can pratice with these packs without changing my setup.

OK I am done, It was just a thought........
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote