R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #241
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Anybody know if Tower carries a brand of connector that will work in the new packs, and it 90 degrees rather than straight?

Same connectors as for the 4800mAh, I presume. Either the Orion plugs or the Trinity plugs. As for one with a 90deg angle, haven't ever seen one. But all you have to do is solder the wire onto the top instead of inserting it into the hole. That would give you the angle you want.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #242
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

E hobbies has them with female connectors
Here is a link...
http://www.ehobbies.com/ItemDetail.d...=ItemDetail.do

OR you can just ge the part number and order them from your LHS....
that is what I did...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #243
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Also if you need a good Lipo charger, Look no further than this....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRH8&P=7

It will charge any battery, Lipo, lion, nicd, nimh, lead acid...
What more could you ask for...Oh yea it charges up to 5 amps, so you can still use it for your nimh packs..
Added extras,
You get a pair of the twisted plugs in with it, so you can add them to either your charger leads or your ESC...
And it is really small for a cleaner pit...
Couple it with one of these and your pit will be very trick..
http://nexusracing.net/product_info....375353987fe659
Thought that was a nice little extra.

Sorry just excited to get these packs...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #244
Tech Addict

You can use the plugs that come with the tamiya harness and simply unsolder them and re-solder them to your ESC wires at a 90 degree angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-90deg.jpg  

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."

Last edited by MrBlack; 10-04-2006 at 08:43 AM.
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #245
Tech Addict

Also here is a step by step explination on how to wire up a balancer for the Platinum and Carbon Edition batteries. Note* the Carbon edition obviously have the balancing port on the same side as the power ports, so plug in accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-harness_instr.jpg  

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 AM   #246
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Will these work? They're 90 degrees.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPY2&P=ML
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #247
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

I don't see why they wouldn't. But again, like the people before said, why not save the money and just resolder the ones that came with it into a 90 degree angle?

After all, even if you get those connectors, your still having to do some soldering anyway.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #248
Regional Moderator

I was seriously planning on replacing my original Platinum with the new Carbon edition once it came out, but after having to slap a full 2oz on my car just to make weight in the local class, I don't think I'll be switching to the Carbon edition just yet.

I thnk people have to take a good look at just how light the new Carbon edition is before they use it. The Platinum was already light, that Carbon is really LIGHT!

But with the lower price, I can see why people are ready for it to come out. Its a great deal.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #249
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

those are actually too small - i thought the same thing as you, but too small
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #250
Tech Lord

My concern with soldering the existing connectors is how tall they are. I'm going to have to try and squeeze that thing under my topdeck, so I'm going to be seriously limited on space.

I'd LOVE to use the 4800, but cars w/o a tub or something to hold the battery in place are out of luck. It seems like the 3200 is my only option on the RDX unless I want to get creative with weights shaped like the cell slots mounted to the bottom of the battery to keep it in place.

Making weight is going to be interesting. I might finally have a use for the 800 weight slots that are cut into the Corally chassis. Too bad the weights are made out of solid gold... or at least you'd think, based on the price.

So those connectors are too small? I thought 3.5MM was the right diameter for the Orion LiPo?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #251
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Making weight is going to be interesting.
Yeah I bet it will be. As I was adding weight to my TA05 with the Platinum, I was thinking, 'MAN, what are those Xray and RDX guys gonna do?' Add to that, your situation where you have to use the lighter 3200, and wow! Its gonna take some creative weight placement.

Quote:
I might finally have a use for the 800 weight slots that are cut into the Corally chassis. Too bad the weights are made out of solid gold... or at least you'd think, based on the price.
Yeah, they should be made of 'something' more valuble, considering I've heard those things are quite damaging to the wallet.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #252
Tech Master

syndrome,

i belive they are the right diameter but are too short - i could be wrong, but i don't think i am....

as for the weights, i am about to do some solder weights like AWD did to his - just take your chassis and mold your own weights with solder and then tape the weights to the battery.

AWD's battery works great and helps with weight as well, but you will still need to add some more weight - on top of the battery strap is perfect
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #253
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Yeah I bet it will be. As I was adding weight to my TA05 with the Platinum, I was thinking, 'MAN, what are those Xray and RDX guys gonna do?' Add to that, your situation where you have to use the lighter 3200, and wow! Its gonna take some creative weight placement.
Anthony has a bunch of tire weights taped to his battery strap to make weight. It's really ugly! :-D He's got more tire weights on his FK05 than I've got on my real car.

I have no idea how many weights I'm going to end up needing with the new battery, but I'm sure it's going to require some creativity, and possibly a small business loan.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #254
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
syndrome,

i belive they are the right diameter but are too short - i could be wrong, but i don't think i am....

as for the weights, i am about to do some solder weights like AWD did to his - just take your chassis and mold your own weights with solder and then tape the weights to the battery.

AWD's battery works great and helps with weight as well, but you will still need to add some more weight - on top of the battery strap is perfect
Yea, I may have to do that. It almost seems like the Platinum version would make more sense if we need to make weight. I wonder if we can talk someone like Tamale into machining up some weights for us? :-)

Problem is, the battery is so tall, it makes that connector really hard to get to under a top deck. I think I'll have to use the carbon version for that reason alone.

I wonder if these will work? They actually look exactly the same, so maybe they'll be too short too. I'll have to see how deep the regular connectors go in to see if they're viable to use at 90 degrees I guess.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #255
Tech Master

Quote:
Yea, I may have to do that. It almost seems like the Platinum version would make more sense if we need to make weight. I wonder if we can talk someone like Tamale into machining up some weights for us. :-)

Problem is, the battery is so tall, it makes that connector really hard to get to under a top deck. I think I'll have to use the carbon version for that reason alone.

I wonder if these will work? They actually look exactly the same, so maybe they'll be too short too. I'll have to see how deep the regular connectors to in to see if they're viable to use at 90 degrees I guess.
i think those are the same - are you trying to use the new top deck - i can get my orion platinum to fit fine with the stock chassis, it is the 3.9 that won't fit - i just connect it at the rear of the car where the top deck actually is inbetween the connectors...

i have talked to tamale and he says that would be super easy to do - he jas just been swamped with everything else....i will ask him again this weekend...