R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Trover
Default New Operation cost?

what does a full turn-key operation cost? I have plenty of money, and im not looking for the worlds greatest operation, but i want to know what it costs for a fairly decent, local frontrunner r/c racing operation.

PS. Im a karter, and know very well what it takes to race, and also know a ton about racing machines. I also know its not cheap, my karting operation has costed us $30,000, and i really don't think R/C's can run up that much money, or even close to that unless you want it to.
Trover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gatrbite

I spent almost as much racing RC as I did racing karts. Depends on the level you plan on racing and how competative you are. PM me and we can talk.
gatrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I suppose it depends if you want to buy stuff that will get you racing then upgrade later as needed or if you want to buy good stuff now that you won't out grow.

I've spent just over a grand in the last month and a half and I've had 3 race days. I'm sure I could come up with another grand in equipment I might like to have but I'll bet you could get racing with everything you'll really need for about half too. Especially if you found some gear in the for sale section here or on ebay.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Ummm . . .for one racer maybe $5,000 to get started for a year not traveling and then maybe $3,000 each year after.

Kit=400
options/hopups=250
radio=450 (assuming spektrum)
batteries=600 (4 batteries at 75$ ea twice a year)
electronics=550 (servo, pt, esc, lot of motors)
tire lathe=250
comm lathe=150
tools=200
soldering iron=120
chargers\dischargers=500

tires=750 (assuming you get 8 races out of a set and race most weeks + practice)

extras=950 (broken parts, pinions, spurs, wire, sauce, bodies, etc)
GRAND TOTAL=$4,320

I rounded up because there's always a reason to spend more as I am sure you well know racing karts. Did I miss anything?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Turn key?

If you're talking about a full turn key track and inventory, I can give you a hint. To any one who would actually try to maintain and run the operation to the benefit of the racers; and who wouldn't fold it up six months from now; I'll sell my indoor RC carpet track for 90% of the paid value of the mercahndise on the wall. Need another hint? Running an RC track is a great way to get rid of any spare cash you have laying around. Sad, but true. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

For a year of club racing with decent stuff I would assume around a 2k start up price, and then for each regional level trophy race maybe a few hundred, and for a national race including travel and 4-5 days of hotel you are looking at 1 to 1.5k. Its all at what level you want to compete, although to compete at the highest level of stock racing the country no more than around 7k a year, mod maybe 10k max with no sponsorships. Club racing maybe 3k max with what you actually need.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Not too bad at all compared to karting, and definatly not that bad compared to my earlier years in Motorcycle Racing. I already have lathes and a soldering iron and plenty of solder, so thats a good chunk of money out of that...6 years ago i had a wreck on my motorcycle in N.Y. and broke my back i was 11 years old, and wore a back brace for 2 years. When it came off i immediatly got back into karting which i hadn't done since i was 8. My back is beginning to have serious pains again, and jarring it around in a kart seat isn't helping, so i have to give it up for atleast a 1/2 year.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I've put in 10 grand over the last couple to few years, not including "start up" which was years before that.

Keep in mind that upgrades need to happen, with electronics and equipment. And new cool stuff is always comming out.

Heck, I just spent nearly 700 for stock nats that was an hour away...
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Tech Master

you failed tomention got got whipped by a 9yr old, sounds like everyone did.
busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New Operation cost?

I feel that the "operation cost" will vary b/t racers. Are you trying to race at a local club level or are you attempting to race at the national / international level? BTW, I found out the hard way that you cannot buy talent (not that you dont already have talent).

Loren
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamont
I feel that the "operation cost" will vary b/t racers. Are you trying to race at a local club level or are you attempting to race at the national / international level? BTW, I found out the hard way that you cannot buy talent (not that you dont already have talent).

Loren
local club level, i don't need to win every race i just want to be slightly competitive. I hope running at the World Karting Championships in Sarno,Italy in 2003 and nearly winning tunica in 2003, and winning Lowes in 2004(the last year they ran) is talent considered by you.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default lotso o cashola

Andrew has it pretty close....i did my program on a budget...and I was pretty well known to have every car that has come out..and all the bells and whistle...
last 2 years think I've spent around 8k....but for the most part I've gotten about 2/3rds back...from selling off stuff and buying from good guys..

think my real time out of pocket grand total for race fees, parts and depreciation around 3K.

but if I went all out and just kept stuff...it would have been a bit over the 8k.

I have thought about opening my own track...but after quite a bit of research...i calculated a loss of around 85k for a 30months upkeep of a track.
lease, utilities, stock, and always the unknown 20 percent unknown $$$ spend. You'll love the sport or is it Hobby...i can't tell anymore...
hell i even work on my car during break at work....it's addictive.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1
I have thought about opening my own track...but after quite a bit of research...i calculated a loss of around 85k for a 30months upkeep of a track.
lease, utilities, stock, and always the unknown 20 percent unknown $$$ spend. You'll love the sport or is it Hobby...i can't tell anymore...
hell i even work on my car during break at work....it's addictive.
as long as i have been in racing, its a hobby to some and a sport to others, motorcycle racing was a hobby for me, karting is a sport to me. I personally like karting better. We actually used to run a small track, and it took a little less than $2000 a year, because we used to have a local guy who kinda brought a small shop with him so we didn't have to stock anything, we have already gotten permission to use the lights, utilities, and lease was fairly cheap. It wasn't bad at all, and a good time, but its hard to keep that many forms of racing going at once.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1armed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman
you failed tomention got got whipped by a 9yr old, sounds like everyone did.
I race frequently with Dakota, we have very good competition around this area and he is always near or at the top.
1armed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trover
local club level, i don't need to win every race i just want to be slightly competitive. I hope running at the World Karting Championships in Sarno,Italy in 2003 and nearly winning tunica in 2003, and winning Lowes in 2004(the last year they ran) is talent considered by you.
Trover

I was not trying to imply that you lack racing talent (I don't even know you). Your kart list is impressive to say the least. It's just that there are those who feel that it is possible to "buy their way" to the top. If you have the talent and the money, then more power to you. I would love to have endless funds for racing (or anything else for that matter). Anyway, good luck to you and your racing future.

Loren
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote