Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
I'm using "blah, blah, blah" and it's DIALED!!! >

I'm using "blah, blah, blah" and it's DIALED!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm using "blah, blah, blah" and it's DIALED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default I'm using "blah, blah, blah" and it's DIALED!!!

How many times have you heard someone say, "I'm using Jeff Cuff's Vegas setup" or "I'm using Barry Baker's Snowbird's setup, and it's DIALED!"? If you aren't Jeff Cuffs or Barry Baker, and you aren't racing in Vegas or Orlando, why would you believe that their setup for that track will work for you at your track? I realize that you have to start somewhere, but the instruction manual gives you a good starting point so why use Cuff's Vegas setup while you're racing in BFE? (Not trying to flame any driver, just using names of the popular guys.) If Cuff's Vegas setup is the "magic" setup, then all RDX's should come out of the box with it and there should be no reason to tune the car yourself. Unless the traction is similar, you really can't expect your car to do the things that his car does. Yet driver "A" in Chicago and Driver "Y" in Des Moines, both seem to think that their car is now as good as it gets. These setups never tell you what the radio settings are either. I make radio adjustments all of the time and the car feels different with each jog of the dial. So unless you get lucky and guess what dual rate he was running, steering response, throttle trim, etc... it really doesn't matter what springs or camber he was running. Just a little food for thought, now let's hear some opinions.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I dont understand what you are asking? Are you saying they arent really dialed running those setups? How do you know they arent? If it works for them then thats great! Maybe you dont know about the 10 other setups by other drivers and different events they tried that didnt work.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

No, I'm not saying that it didn't work. Maybe it did. Example: our local track (at best) is medium/high traction. I'm sure that after several days of Paragon, the Snowbirds track was super high traction. So why would I try to run a setup from one of the winning cars? Instead of trying 10 different setups from ten different races for 10 different drivers, why not just learn how to setup a car and make your own adjustments?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think using the car setup that works for the pros is a great way to find a setup that works for you. The car setup along with the track condition is a major part how a car runs. Radio setting do play a part in how the car gets driven, and everyone has their preferences. But, using others setups are a great starting point. I just got a JRXS and I am using what seems to be the popular rubber/carpet setup, the Josh Numan setup. When I drove the car for the first time it was great...and that was originally an asphalt setup. I will have to make small tweaks to the setup to match my driving style, but without that setup I may have spent a while setting up my car. To say using others setups is BS it not exactly true. You never know, people may have similar driving styles as the people who made the setup sheets.

my 2 cents....
Old 07-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I think he is just starting thread to talk about the topic.

He makes very good points. I have found that someone elses set up from another race has never worked for me. I go by the stock set up and go from there. I will at times try set up ideas from others and try.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Well I like to try and find my own set up and enjoy the challange. But times there are set ups that work well at most tracks for starting point from racers posted set ups. Ex I got a new Corally and was having slight issues in Cali and asked for help to Corally driver and used there set up and wham perfect till this day and havent changed a thing . Winner of Outdoor Nats had T2 Travis posted his set up, that set up was used to dominate Express race stock and 19T by another driver against some great drivers.. Sometimes they work sometimes your own work better...
Old 07-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't really know what you're talking about but I'm using Paphon's setup and it's dialed.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

I took the easy way out on my setup... I handed my T2 to Dave Johnson, an XRay factory driver that runs at my local track, and said, "Set my car up." He handed it back to me a couple minutes later and it was "dialed" Only thing he changed was the droop setting so I guess I was pretty close on my own.

Tony
Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I didnt change my setup one bit on my FK05 from my home track to Snowbirds this year and did pretty well. I've found that carpet setups transfer from track to track way better than asphalt setups, obviously becasue most carpet track in the country run the same rug.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Well, personally I think that IF I had the skills and could drive like Cuffs, Baker or any of the top name drivers then I'd want to start with their setup. BUT.... since I (and most others) don't have those talents and years and years of experience I'd rather try this or that to find what works for me. The learning experience of how to set your own car up alone is very valuable!

That's MY .02 cents worth!
Old 07-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default agree

my reflexes aren't up to par with those guys...
so i setup my cars to my driving style....
part of the fun is trying to find that perfect setup.

but i have to say some of the pro setups are a great starting point for most.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think setting up a car is just another skill beyond driving. Some or maybe most racers just don't have this skill to set up a car. And I mean to ability to recognize and diagnose when and if a problem exists and then solve it. Like a car pushing or a lack of grip to a lack of on power steering while exiting a turn. So if your trying to solve a setup problem or problems, then downloading and trying some top driver's setup may be a good starting point. But you may not learn anything.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Orlando..... Glad to see your still around! You still racing??? Hows the great state of PA treating you?? PM when ya get the time and let me know of any chassis you might have for sale.

ThanX!
J.W.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:24 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ran the setup Marc Rheinard ran at Reedy race at the same Tamiya track the Reedy race was held at. It worked well, but isn't the same as my style. I thought it was a good base, but I made changes to help suit my driving.

If you can use the same setup as the pros, at the same track, then it is a good idea to try. Otherwise, seems likea waste.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
I thought it was a good base, but I made changes to help suit my driving.
Thats what I use, as I am becoming more experienced I an using the setups as a base and then changing it to suit my driving style.

First serious race on rubber ashphalt I used a team driver setup and it worked great, however I then tried a setup from a carpet race fromt he same driver and it was shocking, even as a base setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.