R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
butrflynlambie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 192
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC4 Shock help

I have a bought a used Team TC4 with a leaking shock and need to rebuild it.

The shock is the blue anodized type, I don't believe this is the shock that comes with the original team kit.

I race carpet only with foam tires.

1.) I need to acquire shock oil what brand and weight
What brand and weight?
Do I need a different weight for the front or back?

2.) When rebuilding, I am unsure what parts to actually replace.
What parts can I keep and which should be tossed?

Do I need to pick up something like this?
http://www.thercshack.com//index.asp...OD&ProdID=2272


3.) I have found a rebuild kit but am unsure if this is for the shocks I have
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLTX9&P=7

4.) I found a shock set on ebay, any benefit to buying new
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
santinuchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YOUNGSTOWN
Posts: 199
Default shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by butrflynlambie
I have a bought a used Team TC4 with a leaking shock and need to rebuild it.

The shock is the blue anodized type, I don't believe this is the shock that comes with the original team kit.

I race carpet only with foam tires.

1.) I need to acquire shock oil what brand and weight
What brand and weight?
Do I need a different weight for the front or back?

2.) When rebuilding, I am unsure what parts to actually replace.
What parts can I keep and which should be tossed?

Do I need to pick up something like this?
http://www.thercshack.com//index.asp...OD&ProdID=2272


3.) I have found a rebuild kit but am unsure if this is for the shocks I have
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLTX9&P=7

4.) I found a shock set on ebay, any benefit to buying new
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks
i'm not sure what comes with the tc4 kit as far as shocks go, what i do know is for the rebuild is that the 2 o-rings inside the shock are what you need to replace to stop the leak, any associated macro shock rebuild kit will work, be sure to cover the rings in associated green slime b4 reassembling the shocks....
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
scottwk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 61
Default

If you can find one in stock, I would recommend the VCS2 upgrade kit. Makes the shocks much easier to build.
scottwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
butrflynlambie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 192
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Thanks

What oil brand and weight should I be using?
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
santinuchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YOUNGSTOWN
Posts: 199
Default oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by butrflynlambie
Thanks

What oil brand and weight should I be using?
associated, as far as weight, i think it's best to ask some local guys at your track.
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
scottwk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 61
Default

For carpet, I use 60Wt Associated oil for the front and 40 wt associated for the rear. A decent setup to start with is the Barry Baker IIC setup for the TC4

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...r_iic_2005.pdf
scottwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Tech Adept
 
santinuchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YOUNGSTOWN
Posts: 199
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwk1
For carpet, I use 60Wt Associated oil for the front and 40 wt associated for the rear. A decent setup to start with is the Barry Baker IIC setup for the TC4

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...r_iic_2005.pdf
very true, 60-40 is what i run in my car....it's a tc3 BUT it's a car that held stock TQ for a couple of rounds at last years IIC driven by Jim Herrmann, and the car is still rock solid, so much so, i'm taking it back to the IIC this year to see what it will do.
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: boise, ID
Posts: 62
Default

I have a tc4 team kit with blue anodized threaded shocks and when I first got it I didnt build the shocks well enough and they leaked. The problem I had was the two little o rings at the bottom at the shock didnt seat very well so they leaked all the oil out of them. Im not sure if this would be your problem or not, but after I built them the right way they didnt leak at all. But I have VCS2 upgrade kit now and they havnt leaked.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Default

I had the same problem with my shocks leaking and it was down to the O rings. I replaced the bottom O Rings with MIP blue seals (o-rings) Part No.1043 - $2.50 for a pkt of 8.
Mike Haswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
Tech Adept
 
santinuchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YOUNGSTOWN
Posts: 199
Default o rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haswell
I had the same problem with my shocks leaking and it was down to the O rings. I replaced the bottom O Rings with MIP blue seals (o-rings) Part No.1043 - $2.50 for a pkt of 8.
there really is no need to purchase mip o rings, just rub green slime on the associated o rings, they wont leak....just a thought....the associated stuff works....
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santinuchi
there really is no need to purchase mip o rings, just rub green slime on the associated o rings, they wont leak....just a thought....the associated stuff works....
They will still leak, even with greenslime, when you can see daylight between the shaft and the o-ring!
Mike Haswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Tech Adept
 
santinuchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YOUNGSTOWN
Posts: 199
Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haswell
They will still leak, even with greenslime, when you can see daylight between the shaft and the o-ring!
thats something that i have never bothered to check, but, i dont experience any leaks...just my personal experience.....
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I don't know
Posts: 201
Default

sound like the shaft is worn or the wrong size
rockdog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 495
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I agree. I don't even use green slime and my shocks don't leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog200
sound like the shaft is worn or the wrong size
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone
Xray T2 007
KO Helios
Duratrax ICE
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog200
sound like the shaft is worn or the wrong size
No, O-rings not the right spec.
Mike Haswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: LST shock with hard coated body and Ti-Ni shock shaft yahhoo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 03-27-2008 01:04 PM
NEW HPI Shock Set SteveM R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 03-18-2008 09:08 AM
CST SHOCK OIL AND SILCONE SHOCK OIL Quietroit Nitro On-Road 2 02-09-2008 06:43 PM
TC3 FT aluminum shock tops w/Lunsford "quick tune" shock mounts? billwilner Electric On-Road 2 01-06-2005 08:49 PM
NTC3 Shock and Team Associated Shock Caps Question jcrouse Nitro On-Road 4 07-13-2003 10:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net