R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2001, 09:58 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default heat shrink melt/cooling

Running a 12t speed gems in a Pro2 with some 3000s saddle. Ran this last week and had the batts slide out and possibly touch in the middle(not sure). A little bit of smoke and the heatshrink,the "insulator" cover and the Sanyo 3000s labels melted and cracked. Unsoldered the whole pack and checked each cell with a meter. They show some signs of life. ESC and motor works.

I'm guessing that this happened because the motor was overworked. Geared in at 116/32. I've been looking for a way to cool the motor for a while. They don't make a heatsink that will fit in a Pro2.
Is it because the speed gems series don't have vents ? Since the labels melted and cracked, can I just put heatshrink around the bare chrome cell ?
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
ScottPro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

They make shrink wrap for individual cells. You should be able to get it at your LHS. If the cells are still good, re-wrap them, and put them back together. You should be able to get a couple feet of the shrinkwrap for a couple bucks, or they have them pre-cut ( i'm not sure who "makes" the stuff... I think Racer's Edge carries it...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 11:33 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info.

I have the clear heat shrink for each cell (bought a pack of 100 to split with friends).
When the labels came off, there were a total of 3 layers. Layer 1 was a white layer that seemed to be like an insulator. Layer 2 is the Sanyo label and Layer 3 is the clear heat shrink.

I guess my question is, can I just put the clear heat shrink on ? The other 2 layers (1 and 2) have melted/cracked and peeled off.
Thanks
Old 11-01-2001, 01:51 PM   #4
RCTech Member #2

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottPro2
I guess my question is, can I just put the clear heat shrink on ? The other 2 layers (1 and 2) have melted/cracked and peeled off.
Thanks
Well, I dont see why not... I have seen people run with plain silver...with no shrinkwrap at all, so i dont think it would hurt anything.

Also another idea - Put a custom graphic under the clear shrinkwrap? I have a pack that has been sitting apart to convert to side by side, and i have been thinking about sliping a graphic under the shrinkwarp.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:02 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

yeah, that's a kool idea about the graphic. Only thing is, if my batts get hot again, they might catch on fire ? ha ha ha
When I pulled them out of the car, and put them on the pit table (wood), everyone was like "Anyone smell wood burning ?" . My friends and I were cracking up.
Maybe pictures of fire
Old 11-01-2001, 10:28 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

If you do decide to solder them cells back together, make sure that no battery bar is touching the outside part of each cell. The outside of any cell is negative while the postive runs through the middle. The outside(negative) of a sub-c cell runs all the way up and over the top lip near the positive tab on the battery so be careful. Clear single cell heat shrink isn't going to insulate the body of the cell enough. If you do, you can have an explosion and its not pretty.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 10:30 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

.......I sure hope you read this in time.

Last edited by webspinner; 11-01-2001 at 10:32 PM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 09:24 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Proudwinner, Thanks for the info.
Do you know where I can get some kind of "insulator" wrap to put on the cell before I can put the shrink wrap on ?
On another note, I'm guessing that the purpose of battery washers is to avoid the battery bar touching the outside of the cell. Can I cover the cell with a piece of paper ? I think it would be a bad idea (flamable). Hope you have some more advice,.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-02-2001, 10:53 AM   #9
RCTech Member #2

You should be able to shrink-wrap it around the end of the cell. Just set them so it hangs over a bit, then take the hair dryer to it.

To keep from wrinkling, slowly rotate it... with the heat on a med. setting...
RCTech Member #2