R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #76
Tech Regular

Hi,

yes, I made a mistake somewhere... Not sure how that could happen...

Cheers
Chris
powered by Nosram/Reedy
speedy-932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #77
Tech Rookie

UPDATE:
all results are online now, INCLUDE TECH CHART of ALL Cars
Later following around 200 new Pictures include the TC5.
OlliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #78
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Congradualtions to Teemu Leino for a strong 2nd place finish for Schumacher. Against 5-10 man factory teams our one man team podiums...again
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #79
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Ali Graham Send a message via Yahoo to Ali Graham

Andy Moore was also spotted testing an updated version of the prototype KO Vantage radio:

Old 08-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #80
Tech Adept

That looks mint
tcfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #81
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Congrats Andy!

TEAM STEVE!!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #82
Tech Initiate

movie clips?
Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #83
Tech Rookie

.... more than 470 pictures are now online
OlliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #84
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Emil

Congratulations to Andy Moore for following up on his Worlds title! Seems the HB Cyclone is the car to beat on tarmac. Rain or not it amazes me how little discussion there has been on the issue of a brushless system winning a major race! Not much info is out there on the new Team Orion system apart from an article on www.rczone.net. I am not sure what to read from the reports from the Euros other than the BL system being much faster than the brushed but also if I understand correctly more fragile? Was this due to the rain or heat or just the fact that we are in the early stages of this technology? Those of you who have tested these prototype systems please give us some info on pros and cons, "feel", powerband, durability, heat, gearing etc. What are the main issues being sorted before production? What are the differences between the manufacturers?

Please enlighten us.

Regards,
Emil
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #85
Tech Regular

Hi,

the brushless system that Team Orion used, was developed by GM Racing who are offering their system aswell. The TO one is, according to them, modified regarding the software.
Türkheim is a super-high speed track that would normally be considered as to big for electric racing. But with today's power it's just fine. This was a track where the brushless systems could show what they are able to do.
You are right, when you say that the motors are a problem at the moment. This is because of the IFMAR/EFRA rules. They only allow bonded neodym magnets which develop a lot of rpm with less torque and less efficency. The problem is that a bad bearing or a crash can cause that the magnets tear apart. Together with heat that's a huge problem.
In Germany we are allowed to use sintered magnets. That means they are a lot stronger and the motors work with low RPM but high torque. They work a lot better if the right glue is used to glow the magnet to the rotor. There were a few problems with that in early productions but they are sorted out and everything is fine now.
The fact that the brushless systems worked even in the rain or in wet conditions showed that they are very controllable and they aren't that different in the feeling to a brushed motor.

I'm using the GM system since 4 months now and I'm very satisfied with it. I tested both -bonded and sintered magnets- and if the rules allow it, it is a huge advantage to use the sintered ones. You have to gear these motors a lot lower. In Türkheim I used a ratio of 4.8 with the sintered magnets and something around 8 with the bonded ones. Unfortunately the bonded ones don't last that long...
The main problem is the heat. At the moment I use 1 or 2 fans on the speedo and the motor to stop the thermal shutdowns. But to be honest... the brushed guys have the same problems...
But the best thing of the GM system is the speedo. It's just amazing how many changes you can make to the settings. And everything works how you expect it to work...

At the moment the brushless systems are starting to show their potential. The development will be pushed and we'll see more and more power. If it won't be stopped by a new rule (4 cells, anyone?)...
In my opinion it will be interested to see what will happen when the big european and asian guys come to Vegas to the IIC. I think on carpet with foams the advantage of the more powerfull brushless systems is bigger then with rubbers on asphalt.

Cheers
Chris