Newbie Questions on Gear Ratio and Rollout

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Questions on Gear Ratio and Rollout

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I read some posts that indicated that it's best to have the spur and pinion closer to the same size as opposed to a giant spur and tiny pinion gear. This way they mesh better and more efficiently. Does this sound logical and true?

Speaking about meshing gears, how is that best done? When I'm installing a motor/pinion what's the best way to make sure things aren't too tight or sloppy?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlamMan
I read some posts that indicated that it's best to have the spur and pinion closer to the same size as opposed to a giant spur and tiny pinion gear. This way they mesh better and more efficiently. Does this sound logical and true?

Speaking about meshing gears, how is that best done? When I'm installing a motor/pinion what's the best way to make sure things aren't too tight or sloppy?
Put a piece of paper between the spur and pinion, and tighten it all the way, then turn the spur gear and remove the piece of paper, that should give you the right amount of space. Of course, after a while you can just set the mesh by hand/eye. Basically you want there to be a slight amount of play between the gears.