R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Nice to see most of you agree that 11+ cars per race would be cool! Even better to know that some places are doing this already. I know it depends on the size of the driver stand and pit area as well, which is why I said it's technically possible to run more cars. And to be honest I think having 30 or more cars on a big track (think permanent 1/8th scale) would be tremendous

To go further, I think the step after getting more cars in a heat is...longer races! like someone has mentioned already. It lets people have more fun on the stand and gets them home sooner!

Hopefully with today's battery capacities and transponders/frequencies supporting higher numbers of racers on the track, this will be something we can move to soon.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

More than 15 is ridiculous in ROAR and IFMAR type events IMO.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

RC Scoring Pro only allows 10 cars per race, but if you upgrade to the pro version, you are able to run 20 cars. We have the 20 car version and we've been running more than 10 per heat in some classes.

At this year's Beat the Heat Race in Memphis we'll be running up to 20 cars per heat in many of the electric classes because the track is so big (nitro size). We'll have to see about mod sedan tho... not sure how well a crowded track will be with a 7x1 and 4200's on a 200' back straight... :O Talk about fun!!!!!!
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

The track I currently run on regularly has mod guys regularly pulling low 9's and 10 cars is just too tight. We run eight cars per race and it seems good, but in the slower classes we have tried 10 and it just makes the drivers use more skill to get around the other drivers, this is good for developing skills.

I am all for larger mains IF the track can handle it. There was a recent large event held on a very big track, Mod guys doing 16 laps and with only 10 cars in each final there were very large gaps between the drivers and if there were more cars involved it would have made for a more interesting race.
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

I'd like to see Supercross style starts from the beginning of the staightaway. The first turn might be a hack fest, but it sure is fun!

Last edited by CHRIS CHAVEZ; 07-20-2006 at 10:45 PM.
CHRIS CHAVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Forget 20 drivers... I would like to see 20 marshals . ..
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 PM   #37
Tech Master

I believe its 'do-able' only if the track is big enough... Like running 1/10 scale on 1/8 scale tracks for example.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Hey, I heard someone say that upto 79 people can race with spectrums at the same time!? that would be insane! lol
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #39
Tech Master

I'm all for it, the on-track mayhem always occurs behind me anyway (maybe that's because all the other cars pile into the one I just spun out....LOL)

Plus, I don't think you'll need 20 marshalls for the tracks I go to. Hopefully this means less marshalling for me
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 AM   #40
Tech Elite

the hardest part is having enough room for qualifying. so rule of thumb is if the lap times fall within 12 sec per lap then it would be hard to get more than a 10 car field going so track size and fast lap times should be considered.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 AM   #41
Tech Fanatic

At the moment I think the maximum number of cars should be directly related to the lap time of the class that will be running. Say for a good-size track you get 15-second stock times and 12-second mod times, then maybe a 14 or 15 cars should be the limit in stock and in mod maybe 11 or 12 cars. For club racing with several classes in a night or whatever, this might not bring about any time savings but at a big non-ROAR event this could mean everyone gets 6-minute heats and mains.... Anyway, just throwing this suggestion out there, I hope it sticks!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

I think that's a great idea but there is one thing I see wrong with it and that is having it directly related to average lap time. If you seed the mains like that, the number of cars could vary greatly from weekend to weekend depending on track condition. This may not be a big deal indoors but it would have a great impact on outdoor racing where the majority of racing is held. Surely, there is an alternative to lap times/#of cars.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds stupid. A few of us where at an event last weekend. 4 of us in mod were churning laptimes approx 1sec / lap or more on the rest of the field. What happens if we had to dodge (15/race) 11 cars about 5 times each in the one race! I got hacked by backmarkers which may have cost me TQ at the time..

10 is plenty for finals.. qualifing could be more but it will still be hard on the fast guys always passing and the slow guys who spend 1/2 of every lap off line to let ppl through.