R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
Where is the announcement for the rule change? Just curious. Kind of a strange reversal, and opposite to IFMAR/BRCA/EFRA/etc. rules. The 2006 ROAR rules (6.1.1, 6.1.17.2.1) still state that TC bodies must resemble those that have run in full-size TC racing.

Frank, Dale at Protoform mentioned here on the forums a while ago that the body committee for ROAR was going to be more open to approving bodies that aren't labeled as a real car or brand, almost exclusively because of the astronomical costs of product licensing today. If I am not mistaken, the reason this body was created was because of that change in policy by ROAR. If I also recall correctly, I believe that the Protoform Nemesis is also or has already been submitted to ROAR for approval.

I believe that the control over the bodies not becoming funny cars or slot car door stops lies solely in the hands of the few who make up the ROAR body approval committee. As long as no body is allowed that doesn't completely disregard the spirit of the class and TC racing in ROAR, I don't think anything will change in RC racing bodies anytime soon—other than the fact that we will soon have a lot of choices in what bodies to use.

doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

For those that are complaining that RC "RACE" bodies don't look like the 1:1 size bodies......

Goto a Nascar event and pull you Ford, Chev, or even your Dodge up next to a Cup car and tell me they look the same!

Next goto a NHRA event and pull you Mustang up next to John Force's ride and tell me they look the same!

HEll even goto SCCA race here at VIR and pull your Vette up next to a "FULL ON RACE" car and tell me they look the same!

WE RACE THESE! WE/I want the best aero I can get for that, if you want realism they make those bodies also.... You just need to run one and LOOK GOOD but suffer the 2 laps you will be off because of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme
For those that are complaining that RC "RACE" bodies don't look like the 1:1 size bodies......

Goto a Nascar event and pull you Ford, Chev, or even your Dodge up next to a Cup car and tell me they look the same!

Next goto a NHRA event and pull you Mustang up next to John Force's ride and tell me they look the same!

HEll even goto SCCA race here at VIR and pull your Vette up next to a "FULL ON RACE" car and tell me they look the same!

WE RACE THESE! WE/I want the best aero I can get for that, if you want realism they make those bodies also.... You just need to run one and LOOK GOOD but suffer the 2 laps you will be off because of it.
Very well said!
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Agreed! R/C Nascar was supposed to be a 'scale' class, but how many real cars do you see with the entire rear of the body cut out? And those HUGE so-not-to-scale rear wings or spoilers? Hmm, maybe the next step forward in TC performance will be to allow US to cut out the entire rear of the body. MMMM, more speed for ALL!
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme

I second that!

Also, if you want to race realistic looking cars... Race the Tamiya TCS series. Or just run a Tamiya body and quite complaining..

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #51
Tech Fanatic

ApexSpeed - thanks for the reply it just seems a curious turn of events, but I'm told that the JMRCA also have no rule that a body must represent a real TC racer...the racers there just happen to use bodies that represent real TC racers like the 6 and Accord, etc.

Personally I'd like to see bodies like the Impreza, Seat Leon, RSX and others be made into RC TC race bodies, but I appreciate that there are funky designs like this available for the racers that like them. A nice change to the 10-car Stratus mains!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

While I'm not necessarily against so-called racing bodies, there should be some sort of rules to keep bodies looking at least a little bit scale. Using licensing fees as an excuse to make them is a cop-out.

The buck doesn't really stop with ROAR. If there are no guidelines other than what's already there, who are they to say what's legal and what isn't? How do they know what is "scale" looking? I'd hate to build a body and have it *arbitrarily* decided not to be legal. We all want the best, as others have said, that is why the envelope will continue to be pushed...and that is why rules are needed to contain that development.

The farther away you get from what looks real is the farther you get from bringing new people into your segment of the hobby. Witness the rise of the Truggies, or MT's, or Stadium Trucks...and TC's long ago. I guess that's another argument for another time, though.

BTW, I've been to NASCAR, NHRA, and SCCA events and they all have their various stock or close to stock classes as well as the big-league crap you see on TV. The big league races are about branding and marketing, not about looks. Note that full-size TC's around the world actually look like their street-driven cousins. R/C doesn't have that luxury, if speed was all that mattered, 1/12 and 1/8 on-road would be the most popular classes. Looks matter too.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Full size Touring Cars ARE their fullsize cousins... They take a Street car and modify it for racing....
Old 07-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Some Swedish influences perhaps?....
http://images.google.se/imgres?imgur...lr%3D%26sa%3DN
Anders- I never thought I'd say this, but that Saab looks awesome.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #55
Tech Elite

I actually have an aversion to Saabs...
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Full size Touring Cars ARE their fullsize cousins... They take a Street car and modify it for racing....
This isn't a "cousin" to anything. Like PW said, this is a pure bred R/C "Race" body. Designed for one use only. It's not supposed to look like any full scale car.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #57
Tech Elite

i'll be mounting up a P35 gtp body with dual side dams on my tc. please dont complain that i'm leaving you in the dust because my body doesn't look like a touring car.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
This isn't a "cousin" to anything. Like PW said, this is a pure bred R/C "Race" body. Designed for one use only. It's not supposed to look like any full scale car.
We're pretty much taking the Nascar route...

Nascar started out as Stock bodied Sedans, you could take one off the showroom floor make the necessary safety mods and race it. Now Nascar has become Spec bodied cars. The greenhouses are all the same, each brand has their own bumper fascia's and side windows, a few little differences also but otherwise they are all the same car.

SCCA Touring car and GT are still stock bodied cars with certain mod's allowed or required. I've poked my head under the hoods and inside Volvo's, GTO's BMW's Acura's and so on, they were street cars...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My personel opinion is the car companies just want there share. I Really don't mind this body. Have you ever seen a Ferrari as in Formula 1- Toyota? Honda?What kind of car is a Jordan?This body does not look like a slot car body it looks real and the body rules should be ammended.The major thing is the cost of everything is going up -this is one way to reduce the cost.You want realistic then race the 1/32 slot cars.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Some Swedish influences perhaps?....
http://images.google.se/imgres?imgur...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

That is the only Saab I've ever seen that did not look like a warmed over turd. They have had the ugliest car on the market since their inception..
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote