R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
edracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 93
Default what's the best clipon heatsink?

What's the best clipon heatsink? With a Fan and without a fan? And has anyone tried a thermal paste? (on a cpu it really helps heat transfer but it could be a bit messy). Is there a comparison chart somewhere?
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Nicadrauspro4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A., Italy
Posts: 674
Default

Check out 3-Racing heatsinks. That's what most people use.

__________________
works1200.weebly.com
nicadraus-lamborghini.weebly.com
Nicadrauspro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
AngryAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I bought a whole bunch of those 3racing heatsink fan units for the guys down here.

They're pretty much rubbish. The fans are mounted the wrong way (sucking, not blowing air onto the heatsink) and the fans themselves are weak. Of course, nothing sotpping you from mounting a stronger muchmore fan on there...

The trouble with all these aftermarket heatsinks is that they're aluminium. And they don't have enough contact area on the bottom. Front a mainenance POV, i'd stay away from thermal compounds because it's messy and you need to reapply if your heatsink shifts... (not to mention that stuff is a carcinogen!)

Personally, I think it's better to buy a fan or two (the much more ones are nice and strong) and aim them at the motor can and the endbell especially. Much more effective!

(The heatsinks are a nice bit of bling though...)
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #4
Company Representative
 
Team Kwik's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 517
Send a message via AIM to Team Kwik Send a message via MSN to Team Kwik
Default

We have been buying the 3Racing heatsink/fan combo from a person on Ebay out in the Washington area. They are like 6 bucks and he ships very fast.

What we do is take the fan off, flip it upside down and mount it using only the 2 outer screw holes to it hangs over the side. Basically you are left with a heatsink on the motor that doesn't restrict a lot of outgoing air flow and a fan blowing directly into the endbell. For 6 bucks it actually does work. With this setup we usually break the fans pretty quickly in a side impact (doesn't take much) but the fans are available seperately from the same guy on Ebay for like 3 bucks. We just grab them 2-3 at a time =)

Have fun,
Nick
__________________
Team Kwik
http://www.teamkwik.com
Team Kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

If I was to consider using a clip on heatsink try to make sure it doesnt cover the holes of the can.

I think Associated do a narrow one. Might be worth checking out Then have a fan blowing on the endbell.
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
[[john]]'s Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 852
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAsian
The fans are mounted the wrong way (sucking, not blowing air onto the heatsink) and the fans themselves are weak.

Im Pretty Sure The Fan Is Supposed To Suck The Air Outa The Motor. As The Air From The Armature Rotating Would Usually Come Outa There Anyways, So In Fact The Fan Just Aids And Helps The Hot Air Escape Quicker ?

What Most People Do Is Mount The Fan On The Two Rear Holes, So The Fan Hangs Over And Cools The End Bell


-
John
[[john]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
hpipro321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[john]]
Im Pretty Sure The Fan Is Supposed To Suck The Air Outa The Motor. As The Air From The Armature Rotating Would Usually Come Outa There Anyways, So In Fact The Fan Just Aids And Helps The Hot Air Escape Quicker ?

What Most People Do Is Mount The Fan On The Two Rear Holes, So The Fan Hangs Over And Cools The End Bell


-
John
the three racing ones with a new fan are the best youcan get
__________________
d[-.-]b d[-.-]b
d[-.-]b d[-.-]b can you feel the bass? d[-.-]b d[-.-]b
d[-.-]b d[-.-]b
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 127
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Integy fan

Integy fan and heatsink are also nice and effective. Check them out.
rcfordummies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik
We have been buying the 3Racing heatsink/fan combo from a person on Ebay out in the Washington area. They are like 6 bucks and he ships very fast.

What we do is take the fan off, flip it upside down and mount it using only the 2 outer screw holes to it hangs over the side. Basically you are left with a heatsink on the motor that doesn't restrict a lot of outgoing air flow and a fan blowing directly into the endbell. For 6 bucks it actually does work. With this setup we usually break the fans pretty quickly in a side impact (doesn't take much) but the fans are available seperately from the same guy on Ebay for like 3 bucks. We just grab them 2-3 at a time =)

Have fun,
Nick
Nick, are the fans 25mm or 30mm? Thanks
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I like the 3 racing clip but the stock fan is garbage. I do like Nick mentioned from Team Kwik and flip the fan over and hang it off the end to blow on the endbell. It really has helped keep the heat down. But I replaced the fan with a Novak fan and have had no problems since.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
tbeardmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: aka "Rock Star"...!
Posts: 879
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I like the 3 racing clip but the stock fan is garbage. I do like Nick mentioned from Team Kwik and flip the fan over and hang it off the end to blow on the endbell. It really has helped keep the heat down. But I replaced the fan with a Novak fan and have had no problems since.

I agree Jon - I bought the 3racing heatsink+fan and the fan stopped working after one week. I now have the novak fan on order.
__________________
BMI DB10R, Corally RDX PHi, BMI 12R..!!
Need a "real" car... contact me at:
www.beardmorechevy.com -or- www.beardmoresubaru.com

Last edited by tbeardmore; 07-18-2006 at 10:57 AM.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

If those Novak fans are the same as the one on the GTB they are pretty terrible. Ive broken lots of those and they are expensive. If those are a lot better then the 3racing ones then those must be bad!!
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
If those Novak fans are the same as the one on the GTB they are pretty terrible. Ive broken lots of those and they are expensive. If those are a lot better then the 3racing ones then those must be bad!!
They are that bad. The problem is that the size needed is a 30mm fan and they're just not as common as the 25mm or 40mm fans out there. You can get a decent quality 40mm fan fairly cheap but it won't fit on the heat sink.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #14
Tech Champion
 
R40Victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: N.W. FL___L.A.___Lower Alabama
Posts: 7,823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hopefully, these will come out soon, at least for those of us running brushless systems...



or for brush motors:



They don't look like they'd take much of an impact though...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
KoE
Tech Master
 
KoE's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Blue Marble
Posts: 1,228
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KoE
Default

been using yokomo magnesium power cooler heatsink... nice
__________________
Yo!
KoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F/S: LRP Q2 w/heatsink Dasupacat1 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 12-18-2007 05:30 AM
AE TC3 TC4 Heatsink with Fan Big B R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 12-21-2006 10:34 PM
Heatsink scoops Liko Electric On-Road 1 01-22-2005 10:58 AM
JCE Heatsink w/ Cooling Fan Nrctc3 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 09-13-2004 10:58 AM
Where to get heatsink for esc? renben Singapore R/C Racers 6 06-19-2003 10:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:25 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net