R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Dale does awesome work on both, his race bodies, and his hobby level "realistic" bodies. His Cadillac body is a great example of that. I could be wrong, but I doubt this body was designed with the track in mind. It's good looking and will probably work well for what it was designed for. But I doubt it'll be much of a performer on the track. Never know though. I do want to see what this new carpet body is going to look like. Might have to get one painted up for Vegas
Cadillac not good for A-main racing? A "C-main" body?? Hmm. Hey Dale, it's better than that, give yourself some more credit, a body that looks good and works well.

I've been running the CTS body for quite a while now (since they came out) in Touring car rubber tire stock motor racing indoors on carpet (Trackside in Wisconsin), and I've had very good success with it. I was tired of all the look alike Stratus type bodies that everyone else seems to run. Yeah, I can tell the difference in handling between it and a Stratus, but then I changed my setup a bit to take the handling characteristics of the CTS body into account and it works very well. People who try out my car (Tamiya MSX chassis) for a test run comment "Boy, that thing really turns in". Now if I was running mod on a huge outdoor track, well then the CTS might not be the body of choice, but for stock motor speeds on 100' x 50' carpet track, it's great. I certainly put it in the top third to top half of the A main at the big rubber tires races we hold here (The Novak, The Summer Sizzler, etc), for regular club races, it's a regular A -main top finisher. "Stylin' and Flyin'" in my CTS!

The newest Charger body looks really sweet, and I would guess it will handle a lot like the CTS. I think I will try one for stock racing on carpet as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Hey Dale, want to send one of those Charger shells off to Paul Lemieux so he can pass it on to me here at Trackside to do a bit of testing??

Last edited by minidriver; 07-18-2006 at 04:41 PM.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #17
Tech Master

VERY pretty body!

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
Tech Addict

C Main body

minidriver:
Guess I should clarify clarify that "C Main" statement. I was not refering in any way to the Pf Caddy CTS body as being C-Main material - but I was trying to say that the new Charger SRT8 was not designed with the intention of it being a 100% serious race body. We do call our company PROTOform Race Bodies - so I didn't want to mislead anyone and have them disappointed with the performance of the Charger. Who knows, it may work very well in a particular setting.
The CTS body was definitely designed with more priority on performance, while at the same time trying to preserve the unique Cadillac style. (that made its execution and completion a lot of work - I recall) It's quite gratifying to hear reports like yours regarding the good on-track performance of the CTS body. Glad you like it.

Dale - PROTOform

Last edited by daleepp; 07-19-2006 at 05:55 AM.
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Looks very cool...would be great for the drifting crowd
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp
Jon Kerr:

I'm hoping there's still a market for those guys that want to look "stylin'" as they qualify securely in the "C" main at the local club race.

Dale - PROTOform
Hey....Hey....Hey......

Some of us A-main guys also like to look "stylin".

I wouldn't fear losing too much handling by running this body.

I mean ANYTHING is better than another Stratus body or Stratus body with an alternate nose on it.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

There are a ton of guys going fast with the CTS-V at 301 Raceway running nitro.......... I don't see any reason why this Dodge body cant be just as good , the only thing holding it back may be the front air dam sticking out , it may get folded up in a crash.
Paul..................
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Hey Dale, I wasn't offended by the "C-main" comment at all. Just wanted to highlight the point about realistic bodies. Thanks for taking the time to make a stylish and good performing shell.

Hey, I like the responses, seems I'm not alone in being tired of seeing all the same bodies running around the track.

These days, RC racing bodies, for the most part, are all virtually look alikes with different nose stickers to make them into one brand or another. Just like NASCAR, where those bodies are no longer Ford, Chevy or Dodges, but NASCAR's with Ford Chevy or Dodge "pictures" on the front end. It wasn't too long ago that they were really "stock" car bodies with really distinct brand bodies. (Those ESPN Classic races come to mind.)

Maybe it would help if a big name sponsored racer proved it is possible to do really well with a more realistic body. (I think someone may just be planning on doing just that - at least I hope so.)

I give Tamiya credit for continuing to make highly detailed RC bodies that depict actual cars. (That's not intended as a slight of Protoform, but just a bit of praise for Tamiya). At this year's TCS Nationals, they are requiring one class (GT-2) to use actual Touring car bodies (non ferrari, non NSX) - Skylines, Mercedes sedans, etc.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

I'll buy one. I'll race it. And if it kills me, I'll make the body work well enough to meet or exceed my driving abilities.

Very nice. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidriver

These days, RC racing bodies, for the most part, are all virtually look alikes with different nose stickers to make them into one brand or another. Just like NASCAR, where those bodies are no longer Ford, Chevy or Dodges, but NASCAR's with Ford Chevy or Dodge "pictures" on the front end. It wasn't too long ago that they were really "stock" car bodies with really distinct brand bodies. (Those ESPN Classic races come to mind.)

I think the whole "All the bodies look the same" argument can be applied to almost any form of racing. Take Formula 1 racing. To someone who doesn't follow it or doesn't pay attention to the detail, they could say all those cars just look alike. They all are open wheel, big wing in the back, wing on the nose, ram air box over the driver, etc... Yet we know that some cars are FAR superior to others aerodynamically. The teams will make a change that no one will ever notice and can change the whole balance of the car. The same holds true for RC Cars. To someone just looking at the grid, they could say that all the cars look alike. But there could be 5 or 6 different type of bodies out there. Personally, I think we have a wider selection of bodies now, that do look quite different from each other if you don't just glance at them, and give different handling, than we've had since I started racing. I mean PROTOform has 2 or 3 very competitive bodies, Ride has a couple, Yokomo, Parma, Tamiya with the Legacy bodies, etc... 4 years ago if you didn't have an original Stratus on the car you were lost. Then Losi and their Alpha came out and everyone had that on their car. Now you could see anywhere from 3-5 different bodies on the track. Granted, Dales' Mazda 6 dominated the worlds a couple of weeks ago. (Congrats on the by the way Dale ) It just worked in that application better than anything else. But to say they all look the same just isn't fair IMO.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 07-19-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedracer008

almost like the cadillac body but with round lines instead of sharp ones
speedracer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that looks mean as hell, if I can get a good price on 4 of them, for me and the kids, I am in, hate jelly mould shells.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
I think that looks mean as hell, if I can get a good price on 4 of them, for me and the kids, I am in, hate jelly mould shells.

Ooooohhh, a Jell-o mold! I know what I'm making for the next holiday dinner. Hemi orange Jell-o, too.

Sweeeeeeeeet.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Ooooohhh, a Jell-o mold! I know what I'm making for the next holiday dinner. Hemi orange Jell-o, too.

Sweeeeeeeeet.
94_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

How are they doing the trim lines on that?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

now that is a sweet bod getting tired of all these look alike blobs pretending to be in any way realistic touring car shells....
that other new shell for carpet is the beginning of the end in my opinion...
give it 2, maybe 3 years for all race bodies to be lola style totally unrealistic blobs just my opinion.
blue hornet. is offline   Reply With Quote