R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default newbie- need car: tt-01, 19T, 2S lipo?

guys, i'm new to hobby grade rc cars. been messing with everything else r/c forever though, and im an engineer so i pretty much know my stuff.

looking for a car to hop up, and do some mods to. i was looking at formula one cars, as i'm looking to test the effects of an electronic stability control system- and i figured their aerodynamics were better than other cars. - mainly adding a gyro and putting micro servos on the front and rear wings, and adding vertical stabilizers(like a rudder on a plane).

however, i couldnt find any all that cheap- there's a nikko one, part of their 'premium' line of cars with spare parts and stuff($150- 100 at radioshack)..but i'd have to replace the radio and esc, so it'd be just as expensive as a hobby level car. if you know of any f-1 cars <200 im all ears. but since i couldnt find any others that cheap,

i was looking at the tamiya tt-01 with either the ferrari or nsx painted bodies. (i cant paint worth jack). i have no idea what kind of speeds this car gets, but i'd like as fast as possible. if there are other cars you recommend, again im all ears. (yes, i know everyone says this, and speed costs money- but for my aero testing, the faster it goes the easier it will be).
i've put li-ion in an old nikko- hopped up speed pretty good.

therefore, i was thinking i'd get a 2S 2200mAh 15C thunder power lipoly. based on the watts ive seen 540 motors drawing- 140W or so- that works out to 20A, so these cells will work. if i'm wrong, please correct me. thought about a 3S- but didnt want to blow up the gear box. if i can do it though, that'd be great.

i also have an esc question- why are they rated for turns, not amps? suggestions on the esc- there was a duratrax ones for 20-40 that looked okay- but i couldnt find anything rated more than 8cells, which id need for 3s lipos.

also looking at a new motor- if you have suggestions that'd be great. i read somewhere 19T was the best you'd want in the tt-01. do i need a bb motor? any other 'hop ups' for the car- bearings/metal shaft?

finally- any estimates on speeds im likely to reach? 35-40mph?
how much maintanence should i expect?
as far as a rtr vs kit- tt-01 compared to the tt-04;

how hard is it to tune a car? will the instructions give me standard settings?(this is why i looked at the 01, not the 04, figured if things arent adjustable, it must work just the way it is).

how big are aerodynamics as far as top speed- would i really be better off with an f-1, or will a touring car give me the same speed.

thanks,

scott

Last edited by iamscottym; 07-17-2006 at 07:14 PM.
iamscottym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

c'mon guys- newbie here. bump?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

QUESTION: Does anyone here or knows who sell a GOOD charger w/ a DISCHARGER? I mean GOOD.. Plus also some Battery Packs that are GOOD ENOUGH for PRACTICES or much better, for RACES but they shouldnt be LASPAG ha?.
Xanavi_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if you want to drive an rc fast, I dont recomend you to get tt01 kit because they can not, I repeat, they can not handle fast or strong motors like the 23 turns motor, they can handle it for awhile, but later on you will see the effects.. 23 & below 23 turns motor, the tt01 kit ca not handle that kind of motors.. If you want, get the trf415msx or evo kit, or lets say tb02 or the new of tb kits will do.. But most of the fast rc drivers use the trf415, trf415ms, & trf415msx... hope I helped..
Xanavi_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get a TA-O5. If u don't mind putting a kit together then get the kit and used the extra money saved, on electronics.
As for power get a brushless system very low maintence and very fast.From there gear the motor to achieve the speed desired.
Where do you plan to run it on an oval or on a straight strecth of road.
With this setup you could get it going 60mph when tuned properly.

Hope this is of some assistance
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
Tech Regular

tt01 will break if you look at it too quickly.
Can you get the new Academy STR4 Pro2 there? its very well suited to high power and high speed at a decent price.
Or you could go all out and build something worthy like this:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...5&page=2&pp=30

2wd pan car is the way to go and aerodynamics are very important.
PerformanceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think you would need a mod (9 to 7 turn or 5.5 to 4.5 brushless) motor to feel any real difference with what you are doing. You would need a decent car (doesn't have to be top of the line) to handle a good mod motor. A touring car would probably be the best to play with. I have seen pics of guys running 4.5's in a TA05 so it would probably handle it. You should try making active suspension or something like that. That would be mad if you get it to work. Good luck and I hope this helps, Drew.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"

Last edited by Drewdc90; 07-18-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Tech Master

if your starting off this is what you need
-tt01
-stock motor
and nothing else
learn how to drive the car first before you go and mess with modd motors and end up crashing the car into a curb.
take the first hand experience

good times wrecking a couple cars back in the day
hpipro321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

okay, so I should get a ta-05- why not a ta-02? isnt the belt drive more finicky? i'll be running on streets/paths- not prepped tracks.

can anyone tell me what kind of speed I can expect out of a stock ta-05, or 02?

how much of a difference does the motor make- ie: stock 27T, compared to 19T, or the 5-9T someone suggested?

id like to go brushless, but that's too much money at the moment- as it is i've had to drop 500 for electronics for the stability control system

bottom line- can anyone give me expected speeds- for anything? also, any additional upgrades i'd need along with motor, etc.

also- i read in the ta-05 thread that it can only take a 3cm by 4cm esc- this true? i either want the duratrax for 40 or the rebel 2...both of which are around 3.5x4 cm. will these fit?

UPDATE: found the gearing on the car, so i've estimated speeds. also, found that the ta-02 is better for running off prepped tracks- so i'm gonna go with that. looking at the Team Orion 10 Turn Double Formula SV2 Pro BB motor- however, dont know what esc will fit.

will the duratrax 8T work?

as for gearing- figured I'd keep it stock, 70,22 i believe. i dont want to be wrecking motors. i have a gp3300 pack; i'll probably run with that for a while. may switch to lipo later, since i'll be adding electronics, and thus weight. hopefully by keeping the gearing stock i wont draw too many amps and can get away with the 2s 2100mAh 15C pack.

thanks,

scott

Last edited by iamscottym; 07-18-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Belt driven cars are uaually better when low turn motors are used and from my experience they are a lot easyer to look after. The most speed you could get out of a stock is around 40 to 45 Km/h, a 19 would probably be around 50 to 55 Km/h and a mod would be from 60 to 80 Km/h. From what I have heard about the Team Orion Formula SV2 Pro BB motors is that they go nothing like they should for there turn (A 10t going like a 19 turn or more).
Hope this helps, Drew.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote