R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #61
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip seaball. I'll let you know how the first run turns out. I'm not expecting to figure it all out in one weekend. It took me about three-four weekends on the carpet before I got the set up for my STR4-Pro where I like it. So, I'm patient enough to find something I like with the new car.

Leon heres a pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kx-one.jpg (96.8 KB, 500 views)
Old 01-30-2003, 09:10 AM   #62
Regional Moderator

Leon: heres another pic. The pics seem a little blurry. The lighting were I took them isn't the best for picture taking. I'll take some better ones at the track this weekend. The lighting there is much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kx-one_3.jpg (98.3 KB, 635 views)
Old 01-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #63
Regional Moderator

Seaball: hows the breakage on the suspension components? They seem like their molded of some pretty tough stuff and I've never heard of breakage of this type being a problem for the car. Any weak points to be wary of:

Knuckles?
C-hubs?
Suspension arms?
Hinge pins?
Universals?

Anything of that sort? I'm aksing you because you seem to be one of the few people who kept the car long enough for anything other than the one-way to break!

Thanx
Old 01-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's very tough car, I ran it over 1 years and I have no idea how long the previous owner ran. So far the only thing I have to replaced is 1 way. On the other kyosho thread someone talk about the chassis as being the weaking point of the whole car. Just a month ago, someone t bone me and send my car flying for 3~4 feet, I pick it up and find nothing is broken put it back and ran till end of the day. When I got home that night, I find there was a crack on the chassis, near the 2nd screw of the lower hinge pin holder. I use CA to fix it and seem to work out good.

P.S. The car that t bone me was a TC3 with ntc3 kadex ( spelling) bumper. Anyway his front end is broken from the crash.
boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:31 PM   #65
Tech Regular

Also check 2 small bearings go into the 1-way hub and bearing on the front outdrive hub. I had to replace them because they disintergrated. Don't ask me how it happen I have no idea. I just had a bad luck with the bearing on this car.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:08 PM   #66
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

yup, it's real tough. i never broke anything. i did pull a screw out of the rear hingepin blocks, but i went to aluminum tubes to join the chassis back there and all was fine. i had around 100 runs on it as well.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:17 PM   #67
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Leon

Darkseid. You got the car on foams? Wow... if traction rolling was a problem this is going to be intersting to see you get this thing to work.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #68
Regional Moderator

Yeah, its on foams, but the key here is that those foams are trued down very low as you can see. When their mounted up, the car is at 4.5mm of ride height front and rear. The minimum allowed by the carpet track I race at.

I'll try it out on the foams and rubber. Stock and 19turn motors. I'm going to keep a notebook to chart the results of each combination.

The pressure to get it to perform is really low, since I plan on keeping the car no matter what. So, like I said before, I'll be taking my time getting it right.

So we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #69
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

yup, try the low roll center by going to the upper hingepin holes in the hub if it's going over. that may help.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:02 PM   #70
Tech Regular

I have been racing the car with 9mm ride height on untrued 63mm foam tire and have no traction roll problems. But when I first get the car, I have the car's ride height set to 2mm I roll my car on very turn. As I have mention at the begining of the thread, KX1 have a lot of inital turn in. Just spent some time and to understand how the car handle and you will be fine.

A good setup for Kx1 is Team Kyosho driver Ito's setup for Japanese national in 2002.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:03 AM   #71
Regional Moderator

boner: 9MM RIDE HEIGHT!!! 63MM FOAMS!!! Wow, thats something!

Personally, I'm not too worried about the traction rolling. Its something that can happen to any car in high traction situations, and with the right tuning it can be taken care of on any car.

My main area of concern is the one-way. From what I've been told and read, it should be okay as long as I have the front shock's up travel limiter on. They give thick and thin limiters with the kit and recommend using one thick one on every shock. I decided to add an additional thin one up front, just to make sure the universals can't bind the drive cups of the one-way. So, I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes this weekend.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:35 PM   #72
Tech Regular

Darkseid: I'm cheap. Don't want to pay $10 to have them trued by LHS. Plus I get more life out of them if it's untrued.

I tried the limiter but it doesn't seem to help, it still "kill" the 1 way bearing. Plus you can replace the 1way bearing, if you need the part # let me know. It's cheaper to replace the bearing instead getting a 1way from kyosho. If I remember correctly, $10 you can get about 5 or 6 1way bearing from boca. It's very easy to replace them. All you need is a hammer, 15mm socket and 5m shaft ( I use the JR Voyager main shaft).
Old 02-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #73
Regional Moderator

Default First outing

Well I must say that I really enjoyed the car in its first outing. I saw little to no signs of the problematic roll overs I have heard about. I was only .3 secs off the pace I was carrying with my other car. The only time I experienced rollover was in one particular corner where not only my other car, but several other racers' cars also had problems with rolling over. And that corner really wasn't a problem until the A-Main when I chunked one of my rear foams, causing the car to roll if I took the corner to tightly.

I tried the car in a couple different configurations with the same basic set up.

-Rubber tires and stock motor- the car was stable, never getting near rolling over. The rear was a little loose, which was caused by the car having so much steering. Following the advice laid out by one of Kyosho's set up sheets, I dialed my Dual Rate down to 80%. That wasn't quite enough, so I went down to 70%. Better, but not, best. 65% seemed to be just right. Keep in mind that this is on a tight indoor track, yet 65% was more than enough steering.

-Foam tires and stock motor-As DarthVador once said; "all too easy". This was simply too easy. THe speed the stock motor put out was easily handled by the foam tires, which didn't allow me to see any handling problems that might be natural to the car. So on to the next test...

-Foam and mod-Whoooooaaaa baby.....I know I said before that I was going to take it easy and stick with stock until I had purchased some extra parts, but the car was doing so well that I couldn't resist. Ahhh, all the essential rules of running with a one-way quickly popped into my head as the car zipped down the straight and headed into the sweaper. It would have been obvious to anyone watching that I was a little nervous about running the car so fast. I was definitely in caution mode. The foams allowed me to put the dual rate back up to 70% without losing the rearend. The car was stable and only neared roll over in the previously mentioned corner, which seems to have a nack for inducinging such problems. Other than that, it was just a pleasure to drive. Even in caution mode, I still managed to lap only .3 seconds behind a car I've had time to properly set up.

First impressions
As you can tell, I'm quite impressed with the car. It was very well behaved, even on a track where no one else(including the fastest guys) run one ways. I didn't notice the car rolling over anymore than any other car on the track and the car is super effiecient to boot. Allowing my to go a full tooth higher than what I usually run in my shaft car without fear of dumping. Pretty sweet.

I can't say how the car reacts to set up changes, since I haven't tried toying with the set up yet. But, its good to know that no matter what I try, I can always return to the set up I ran today. I also want to try the car with a diff up front, at least for the indoor season.

Anyway....thats about all...

Hopefully, more goodnews to come.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:23 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Glad to see another happy camper of KX-1.
Traction roll on this car is result of driver's driving style.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:48 PM   #75
Regional Moderator

The funny thing is that my STR4-pro nearly rolled over in that same corner every lap. And Academy list on the box of that car that "it has the lowest CG of any touring car in its class". Go figure.

Can't wait to get some more set up time with it.