R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   electric v nitro (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/12190-electric-v-nitro.html)

bosko 01-20-2003 02:39 PM

electric v nitro

Hi guys

I am new to electric r/c and am thinking maybe i should have gone to a nitro car. How many batterys should i own ?
I have 2 and i don't get much time out of them maybe 7-8 min. each. What is the best way to charge them ?
I'm trying to find the advantage over nitro...
Can someone help ??

Mike:batman:

Neil Rabara 01-20-2003 03:08 PM

Do you intend to race your car, or just run it on the street with friends?

bosko 01-20-2003 03:43 PM

I have been using my local r/c race track thinking about racing down the track

Boomer 01-20-2003 05:29 PM

The main advantages to electric are:
  • You can race indoors
  • much quieter
  • much cleaner (no oily mess)
  • much simpler

Probably the main advantages to Nitro are:
  • You can run longer (just refil the tank and GO)
  • much louder (for some this is a bonus, but not your neighbors!)
  • in some ways it's cheaper (less batteries, less chargers and power supplies, etc.)

These are NOT absolute, but are pretty general.

Now, 2 battery pack will do. They will do even better if you are using NiMH packs. Nickle Metal packs don't have a "memory" like NiCads do. You can re-use them multiple times per day (just keep them fairly cool) - it's not recommended to re-use NiCads many times per day. NiMH batteries also have a bit longer run-times than NiCads do.

Get a good "Peak" charger. If you have NiMH batteries, get one that is capable of charging them. They are a bit more sensitive but chargers exist for charging them properly. There are a lot of chargers. I use a Novak Millenium Pro, it works just fine for me.

Steevo 01-21-2003 12:09 AM

Bosco,
What track in brisbane are you going to??
What sort of car, motor turns, batteries do you have?? Are the batteries NMHi or Nicads?? How many Milli amp hours are they??

I too used to wonder If I should have gone Nitro.... But now I love my electric and to me, the only downside to an electric is run time.... But to me its the best 6 mins you can have with your clothes on:lol: :lol:

Steevo:tire:

bosko 01-21-2003 04:05 AM

thanks Boomer..

Steevo,

I use the track at the workers club in wynnum.
I have a Kyosho TF-3 4wd,19 turn yokomo prostock 2 motor and 2 1700 Ni Cads.

Maybe i need Ni MH batteries and a good charger

Steevo 01-21-2003 04:17 AM

Yes I would recommend getting some 2400 or higher NiMH Packs, 2 would be a good start. If you plan on getting a low turn motor then get 3000mah packs. Either of these will improve your run time with your current set up. And yes buy yourself a good peak charger to suit. The best you can afford. I have not been to the wynnum race meets as yet but hope to check it out soon.
Stick with the electric and have fun and don't be scared to ask questions...

Steevo:tire:

bosko 01-21-2003 04:21 AM

Thanks for the advice !

bosko:batman: