R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default pan car tirers

would it be a good idea to reuse the original rims when the tires wear down. are they just glued to the rim? if so boil them in hot water for a few minutes so the glue softens up.

when i run my car on ashpalt what tire should i use for long lasting wear and performence isn't much of a factor. i also saw rubber tires made by bolink. dose anyone know where they sell these?
70mph pan car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you should ask it here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=&threadid=145

they will help you.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: pan car tirers

Quote:
Originally posted by 70mph pan car
would it be a good idea to reuse the original rims when the tires wear down. are they just glued to the rim? if so boil them in hot water for a few minutes so the glue softens up.

when i run my car on ashpalt what tire should i use for long lasting wear and performence isn't much of a factor. i also saw rubber tires made by bolink. dose anyone know where they sell these?
Easier way, for any foam tire - true the tire almost all the way down to the rim, then soak them in Lacquer Thinner for a bit and they will come right off. Since they don't use CA (usually) I'm not sure how well boiling them will do. I do know that LT will work very very well.

The other questions are Pan Car specific, so I would answer them there. . .
Old 01-21-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Tech Master

Lightbulb Pancar tires

TRY THIS, cut across foam from edge to edge on wheel(down to the plastic). Soak in hot water a few minutes. Then carefully peel the foam from the wheel. You may have to soak it a couple of times. As foams are usually glued on with contact cement the heat will soften the glue, or peel as much foam as you can and apply contact cement remover to the foam and it will rub off. MakeSURE you have good ventilation when using lacquor thinner or contact cement remover.

Terry.
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Default Take it from a Veteran...

Lacquer thinner is the quickest, easiest way. Forget truing, cutting, whatever. Get an old pot, fill it with enough lacquer thinner to submerge the tires for about 20-30 minutes, and the tires will slide right off by themselves.

By the way, TRC still sells their tire glue formula in the can. If you can't get it at your LHS, you can get it from either Horizon or Tower. If for whatever reason, you still can't get it, a good quality rubber cement will do.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
Tech Adept

are rubber tires worth the money if i plan on not racing? where are they sold?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Pro-Line used to have a line of "Road Hawg" tires, among which were a set of rims for 1/10th Pan cars. You might want to check the Pro-Line website to see if they still produce them.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:36 PM   #8
Tech Master

Post rubber tires

Turn & burn is rite . You live in Edmonton, go to Hobby Wholesale. They should be able to order them for you. They are reasonably priced. What type of pan car is it. They will make your car IN SANE on unprepared asphalt. If I can find my proline catalouge I'll post the part numbers.

Terry
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I think you're hosed, pan. I just checked the Pro-Line website, and they are not even listed anymore in their product list.

Your other option is to try an old dirt oval trick. Cut grooves into the foam tires with an X-acto knife... not too deep, about an 1/8 of an inch or so. About two lengthwise cuts along the circumference of the front tires (evenly spaced), then cutting across every 1/4 inch of so. On the wider rears, about every 1/4 inch on the circumference, and again, about every 1/4 inch across. You won't see the cuts at first, but as the tire wears, you'll start to see "treads" develop. This will everntually give you a bit more traction on the unprepared asphault.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: Take it from a Veteran...

Quote:
Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Lacquer thinner is the quickest, easiest way. Forget truing, cutting, whatever. Get an old pot, fill it with enough lacquer thinner to submerge the tires for about 20-30 minutes, and the tires will slide right off by themselves.

By the way, TRC still sells their tire glue formula in the can. If you can't get it at your LHS, you can get it from either Horizon or Tower. If for whatever reason, you still can't get it, a good quality rubber cement will do.
You're right, TNB, but that actually burns up a lot of LT just because what remains of the donuts soak up a lot of it. By truing it down to about 1/16" you don't use as much thinner and it comes off nice and pretty!

The only problem with rubber cement, and contact cement, is that they are broken down by turpentine, which is the primary ingredient in most (if not all) traction compounds like Zip Grip, Paragon, etc. I haven't tried the water based contact cements yet, and I hope that those will be less apt to be softened. . .
Old 01-23-2003, 03:14 PM   #11
Tech Adept

thanks