Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gearing/Battery Time/Motor Temp >

Gearing/Battery Time/Motor Temp

Gearing/Battery Time/Motor Temp

Old 01-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gearing/Battery Time/Motor Temp

okay...so here my statement...correct me if I'm wrong.

I need to gear my car with a stock motor so that I use up as much of the battery as possible in 5 mins without dumping while still maintaining a decent temperature on the motor.

So, if I have like 2mins left on the pack when i discharge it, and my motor isnt hot... should i keep gearing up? Also, since I have a 48p spur and pinion made by tamiya, the largest i can go is 61/25 cuz they dont make a 26 pinion. should i just spur down?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

With the high capacity batteries available it is very unlikely you could possibly dump them with a stock motor in 5 minutes.

IHMO just gear for the track. If you monitor your motor temp and lap times there is a point at which adding one pinion tooth causes the motor to overheat and your lap times to drop. At that point just drop back one tooth.

BTW.. Changing the spur is a much bigger change than one pinion tooth. Change the pinion too so you get a change closer to one pinion tooth
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

actually i am at that point with my MF XXX-T. my matched 2400's are dumping right before i get to the finish on a lightspeed P2k with 86/20 gearing.

my touring car is different... got a revenge monster with 61/25 gearing ...but the motor is still cool after the 5mins and the pack has bunch of time left on it. Its super fast but two guys are still a little faster. I need a 26 or 27 tooth pinion, but tamiya dont make it. RATS!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Post pinion????

You can buy another brand of pinion Kimbro, Roberson, losi, associated, as long as you match the pitch of the gears. ie- 48/
64/ 32/, kindwall pitch which I belive is 54/ pitch they will run fine. , as for the MF XXX-T drop to a 18 or 19 was that too hard I don't know how big your track is but this should get you the time you need to finish the race with 2400's I've been racin for 17 years we started with 1200's this is where knowing how to gear realy paid off, because we ran stock motors with timing 36 to 40 degrees this would dump battery 45 seconds before 4 min. yes we ran 4 min. back then.

Last edited by bubbaicm; 01-20-2003 at 12:50 PM.