R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Help set me straight...

Alright...

I THINK Ive got everything in order to pull the trigger on my electric setup.... Kind of looking for some final suguestions/reccomendations....

First off.. I will be racing 19t 2wd offroad buggy...

Thinking of going with IB3600 from promatch, mostly for price... I am getting back into electric after a while out of it... so spending money on the higher end cells would almost be a waste (rolling once cancels out any advantage I gain from higher voltage cells). How many packs do you think I should pick up. I was thinking 3 or 4. These should have enough runtime for a 5 min 19t heat, no?

Chargers... boy oh boy... I think im going to go with a Turbo 35 in some variation.. either the 35, the 35BL, or the GFX. Im going to need a discharger anyway, and I figure for what I can pick up a used GFX/35BL for... would run the same as buying a charger, and discharger new... Does this even make sense?? Or am I way off base, If I can get great performance out of an LRP Pulsar 2, and a bulb discharger..... let me know.. haha. Ive already got a Smart tray on the way to me..

Other than that... its still up in the air as far as an ESC... I know I want to run Novak, but dont know which model to get. Was thinking about going used on this too... but the thought of that almost scares me

BESIDES that, its all lathes, motors and learning what the hell im doing out there again.. haha. Think I could get by with a cobra lathe w/ diamond bit?

anyway, Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, and maybe throw your $.02 at me.

Last edited by FlyByWire; 07-15-2006 at 10:06 PM.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

It all sounds good. Looks like you did your research. If your looking for a used Novak speedo, anything from the cyclone and newer would be a good choice (GT7 and GTx are the newer ones).
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
It all sounds good. Looks like you did your research. If your looking for a used Novak speedo, anything from the cyclone and newer would be a good choice (GT7 and GTx are the newer ones).

Thanks for the reply! I think I did TOO much research... my brain is fried.. lol. Im more confussed about the chargers than anything else... I know Promatch knows their stuff, so I rest assured there... I looked into other matchers, but I like that they offer assembly... not that I cant build a pack or anything..
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
XrayFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire
Thanks for the reply! I think I did TOO much research... my brain is fried.. lol. Im more confussed about the chargers than anything else... I know Promatch knows their stuff, so I rest assured there... I looked into other matchers, but I like that they offer assembly... not that I cant build a pack or anything..
As for chargers. the CE ones are great, you can pick up a used 35 Stealth for pretty cheap. It does everything you need, charge, discharge, and motor run-in. It can also connect to a PC.
I used to have a 35, but decided to sell it and get 2 LRP chargers instead. The reason? The LRP's are smaller and also that way I can be doing two things at once. Have one charging while the other discharges the pack you just ran or break in a motor or cutt a comm. It's just more convenient when you're racing. Plus, both LRPs cost me less than the price of one T35.
If you don't think you'll need two chargers, go with the T35.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

I have two pulsars. They work great.

They only discharge at 10 amps though. But I think its better to use either bulbs or the integy discharge box. I use the 30 amp version. I just think discharging with a multi-hundred dollar charger is a bit scary. You know its making lots of heat in there.

You can get by just fine with a string of bulbs, and the Novak Smart tray.

I would strongly suggest to get the IB3800's though. The 3600's were not that great, and you would be better off getting GP3300's if you wanted cheaper packs. If you can still find them new. They are very robust cells, and can take a bit more abuse than the IB's can. They will last you a long time if you treat them right. But, as your skills improve, depending on how long it takes, you might find that you appreciate the performace of the IB3800's. And, IB3800's can be had reletively inexpensively.
For example: lower voltage IB3800's for less than $35
http://www.teambrood.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=612
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
I have two pulsars. They work great.

They only discharge at 10 amps though. But I think its better to use either bulbs or the integy discharge box. I use the 30 amp version. I just think discharging with a multi-hundred dollar charger is a bit scary. You know its making lots of heat in there.

You can get by just fine with a string of bulbs, and the Novak Smart tray.

I would strongly suggest to get the IB3800's though. The 3600's were not that great, and you would be better off getting GP3300's if you wanted cheaper packs. If you can still find them new. They are very robust cells, and can take a bit more abuse than the IB's can. They will last you a long time if you treat them right. But, as your skills improve, depending on how long it takes, you might find that you appreciate the performace of the IB3800's. And, IB3800's can be had reletively inexpensively.
For example: lower voltage IB3800's for less than $35
http://www.teambrood.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=612
Gotcha, thanks guys.. I think you've talked me out of the T35... I think the reason I wanted that one was I am scared for some reason to use bulbs... Like i feel that they arent adequate....? Id pony up for the 030, but no cutoff scares me. I think 2 chargers would be ideal... it would be nice to be able to have 2 charging with a little bit of a stagger.

What about this new trinity thing that came out... discharges at 30 amps and equalizes too or...? Or bulbs with a cutoff set for 5.4v is fine..... I think all the bulb strings ive seen are only 20 amps, dont I want a 30 amp discharge?

This may sound REAL lame... but I was going for the Promatch packs because I cant track down a decent battery jig ANYWHERE!! Deans isnt making theirs anymore...

I have heard good things about Kwik, and like that they match at 35 amps.

Thanks for telling me about the 3600's, I have only heard that once before, but from someone who didnt know anything else about batteries... How many packs should I be looking at getting??
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
XrayFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

There's no real benefit from discharging your cells at 30 or 35A, it just creates unneeded heat. 10A from the Pulsar is just fine. If you really want, you can hook up both and discharge at 20A
The Trinity DPD discharges at a 30A pulse (on and off so it's not 30A constantly) and 5A linear. This will discharge and equalize your packs. Personally, I think if you have something like the Pulsar, you'd be fine with just using the Novak Smart Tray afterwards. Maybe get two of each.
As far as packs, 4-6 packs will be enough for a day of racing/practicing.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
There's no real benefit from discharging your cells at 30 or 35A, it just creates unneeded heat. 10A from the Pulsar is just fine. If you really want, you can hook up both and discharge at 20A
The Trinity DPD discharges at a 30A pulse (on and off so it's not 30A constantly) and 5A linear. This will discharge and equalize your packs. Personally, I think if you have something like the Pulsar, you'd be fine with just using the Novak Smart Tray afterwards. Maybe get two of each.
As far as packs, 4-6 packs will be enough for a day of racing/practicing.
Wow, 10 amp discharge is adequate eh?

Sorry, just weird to hear that after thinking that a 30 amp discharge was a MUST... (people telling me the 030 is a MUST for proper battery care)..... Or like Promatch's site saying to first put a few mins charge into the packs, then discharge at 20-30 amps.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
XrayFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire
Wow, 10 amp discharge is adequate eh?

Sorry, just weird to hear that after thinking that a 30 amp discharge was a MUST... (people telling me the 030 is a MUST for proper battery care)..... Or like Promatch's site saying to first put a few mins charge into the packs, then discharge at 20-30 amps.
It's not. Things people used to think were essential to battery care, like cycling and "training" your packs, just don't apply anymore with the new cells.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
It's not. Things people used to think were essential to battery care, like cycling and "training" your packs, just don't apply anymore with the new cells.
Cool, thanks.

Now who makes a damn jig? LOL heard that deans stopped making theirs
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
XrayFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire
Cool, thanks.

Now who makes a damn jig? LOL heard that deans stopped making theirs
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

I hate to open up this can of worms... but any matchers you guys prefer over say the bigger ones like Promatch and Kwik?
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #13
Tech Master
 
XrayFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire
I hate to open up this can of worms... but any matchers you guys prefer over say the bigger ones like Promatch and Kwik?
I wouldn't ask this question, lol. Everyone will tell you a different company. Any reputable matcher will provide you with good cells and service. Pricing is pretty similar across the board as well. Choose whichever company you think has the coolest looking stickers.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
I wouldn't ask this question, lol. Everyone will tell you a different company. Any reputable matcher will provide you with good cells and service. Pricing is pretty similar across the board as well. Choose whichever company you think has the coolest looking stickers.
I was going to go with Promatch... but was sad to learn I would need to pay tax... Now I look at it as supporting my 'local' matcher .. AND I wont have to buy a jig now.. It's just back to the charger debate... I took the plunge and ordered the pyrimyd power supply... I just need the other half..

Done... well, the battery part is.. Went with 4 4200's from promatch.. Hopefully they get here sooner than later..

Last edited by FlyByWire; 07-16-2006 at 12:48 AM.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Also, is there a big difference between the LRP Pulsar 1 and 2? You can get used Pulsar 1's on here for pretty cheap....
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car won't drive straight tambrose Rookie Zone 9 11-10-2007 11:15 AM
Launching / take-off straight beatle Electric Off-Road 13 08-06-2007 06:54 AM
Straight Ltd lonestar1127 Electric On-Road 2 10-31-2003 09:57 PM
Straight up!! MTX 3 or 705 johnny king Nitro On-Road 102 07-18-2003 10:56 PM
won't go straight slavka Nitro On-Road 5 07-02-2002 01:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:03 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net