R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #46
TLRacing

I did go to the Spektrum at the recent TC worlds when I experienced some glitching. I put it in and it worked flawless all weekend. I also know that Tossolini won the 1/10th TC Gas Nats using Spektrum. Travis Amezcua also has used Spektrum exclusively for over a year now in his gas and electric offroad equipment.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #47
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
3-4 tenths per lap? Holy smoke. Well, in that case I should try my FM gear again. If I pick up that kind of time, Travis S and Peter Robinson will be chasing me.
If you ever try, you will find that this is the case....

I`v timed Chris with & without , ask him which one he perfere`s..
The stop watch don`t lie....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

With all the high end digital servo now a days it pulls a lot of power off your RX and not enough voltage feeding the servo this would slow the response time. Simple solution hook-up a small power capacitor to your spektrum RX this will stabilized the voltage and prevent it from dropping.

This will also help your PT and prevent missing laps.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #49
Tech Master

So, the problem doesn't lie in the response time from remote to car but from the amount of voltage that the servo gets from the reciever?

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
I did go to the Spektrum at the recent TC worlds when I experienced some glitching. I put it in and it worked flawless all weekend. I also know that Tossolini won the 1/10th TC Gas Nats using Spektrum. Travis Amezcua also has used Spektrum exclusively for over a year now in his gas and electric offroad equipment.
First time I ever saw Spektrum was in Amezcua's buggy and truck about two years ago at a big race.

I had MAJOR glitching issues with my FM gear and it took me way out of the running in Mod buggy. I won stock 2wd that weekend though.

After a weekend off, I had spektrum in my car. Never looked back.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams
So, the problem doesn't lie in the response time from remote to car but from the amount of voltage that the servo gets from the reciever?
The increased power demand of the spektrum receiver, and coupled with the growing use of personal transponders has caused some issues. Some ESC's don't have alot of current ability on their BEC. So in those cases, a good servo might feel a bit more slow.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #52
Tech Master

So, best bet is to use another capacitor?

Texas EOS 2018!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RoachRacing Send a message via AIM to RoachRacing Send a message via Yahoo to RoachRacing

Last year at IIC a certain pro driver drove a friend of mines car and was saying how he could notice a spektrum "glitch". So my friend borrowed a set of old receivers and a synth module for the rest of the race. I swear he had interference at one point.

Moral of this story, that driver is now using spektrum.

I have used it since it came out and will not go back! Never again will i yell "62, 62, who the hell is on 62!"
RoachRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #54
Tech Master

Well, I just equiped my cars with pro spektrum thinking that I would never have to worry about an open channel. I dont want to use it if I am going to lose performance in my servo's. They are the futaba 9550 servos hooked up to a gtx.

Texas EOS 2018!
Old 07-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #55
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RoachRacing Send a message via AIM to RoachRacing Send a message via Yahoo to RoachRacing

buy a capacitor if you are worried, I havnt had any issues. and I am running a first gen module and receiver.
RoachRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, I just equiped my cars with pro spektrum thinking that I would never have to worry about an open channel. I dont want to use it if I am going to lose performance in my servo's. They are the futaba 9550 servos hooked up to a gtx.
My self also used futaba 9550 on my YOKOMO BD, The servo will perform better if you add a small Capacitor to you Spektrum RX to get the voltage the servo demands.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #57
Tech Master

Thanks, that is what I was worried about...especially since I just bought the new mini reciever that cant take a servo, speedcontroller, transponder and capacitor at the same time .

Texas EOS 2018!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #58
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
Here is what I think, lets discuss it:
total latency= radio latency + module latency
On a normal FM radio, the module receive the analogue signal and transmit it out on FM based on the crystal in the module.

In a Spektrum, the module will have to encode the signal. Then the signal will have to be decode on the receiver.

total latency = radio latency + module latency + receiver latancy

When one-way was the polular choice, we usually have to dial down steering (read slower/smoother action) to drive the car. Latancy is not that much of an issue. With the current trend of Spool, I find myself running more lock and full speed on steering to get the car to steer. The extra 10ms might come into play.
twoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Spektrum receiver / Novak GTX / Hitec digital servos, in both of my T2s no problems.

I mean no problems other than my paranoia about latency. I guess I could spen less time sweating my radio system, and more time finding the good line around all those poor suckers getting glitched in my heats.

Isn't it funny how a seed of doubt can grow into a forest?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #60
Tech Master

A story to help us Spektrum guys feel better about having Spektrum:

A few weeks ago I thought I was safe with my FM synthesized system as long as I grabbed the frequency clip before I ran, right? Well, the farce who set the frequency clips up on the board put two "88" clips up and I happened to be on 88. My car would get about 3 feet from me and start to tweak out, turns out some poor guy had the other clip in the pits and was bench testing his car wondering the same thing I was.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote