R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I havent noticed any delay in radio response either. I went from a M11 DSM to a KO Propo DSM, all regular spektrum systems. All my R/C's are DSM equiped now including a boat, at first I had a very few small problems all due to low BEC and digital servos causing glitches. Now with the cheep plug in capaciters you can buy, all is good no more problems. I never knew BEC played such a big role until heavy use of digital servos, and DSM came along. Now I take a good look when buying a ESC's BEC output. All I can say about DSM is that I'm never going back to anything else!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
Tech Elite

My view:

If FM is indeed faster to respond, but you get ONE glitch in a race that at minimum sets you back a few seconds.

DSM is faster if it slows your car down .1 sec a lap, which it shouldn't once you are used to it. If it is slowing me down, then if I went back to FM, I would be wooping up on full factory rides, which I doubt.

Cost of DSM system: $170...
Cost of slowed responce: .1 sec per lap. which I really doubt.
Cost of NO GLITCHING: PRICELESS!!!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

One step further is being able to save and change settings via your computer...
Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
My view:

If FM is indeed faster to respond, but you get ONE glitch in a race that at minimum sets you back a few seconds.

DSM is faster if it slows your car down .1 sec a lap, which it shouldn't once you are used to it. If it is slowing me down, then if I went back to FM, I would be wooping up on full factory rides, which I doubt.

Cost of DSM system: $170...
Cost of slowed responce: .1 sec per lap. which I really doubt.
Good point for sure!! thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

Do you really think fm radios glitch once every race? You've got to be kidding. I have never glitched with my current fm radio.

"a few seconds from a glitch" = 3 seconds
".1 per lap" .1 x 27 = 2.7 seconds

Is this so-called .3 seconds worth $170? I think i'll spend my money on track time and gain those .3 seconds with practice.

The comments regarding losing your car to frequency conflicts: since dsm came out, everybody has flocked to it and 75mhz has opened up.
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelV
Do you really think fm radios glitch once every race? You've got to be kidding. I have never glitched with my current fm radio.

"a few seconds from a glitch" = 3 seconds
".1 per lap" .1 x 27 = 2.7 seconds

Is this so-called .3 seconds worth $170? I think i'll spend my money on track time and gain those .3 seconds with practice.

The comments regarding losing your car to frequency conflicts: since dsm came out, everybody has flocked to it and 75mhz has opened up.

It doesn't matter if it glitched only once out of every third or fourth race. If it does it in the main, your screwed.

And Yes I think my car did glitch probably every single race at our local outdoor track, while I was using FM. There were numerous light poles around, and some kind of power junction under the track that caused my car to freak out almost every lap, lots of other people too. So for me, not having to worry about that type of glitching, or motor interference, or somebody turning on their radio while I am driving, WELL worth the $170. Probably in spare parts alone (that haven't been broke due to those reasons)!!

So, for you I am glad you haven't had any problems ever with FM. For me I have, and DSM has solved ALL of those issues. Period. So for me, $170 cheap in comparison. For you, maybe a waste of money. It just depends on what your experiences have been.

I know lots of people that have had problems with glitching due to one or more causes that have switched to DSM, and have not had any since. So for those people, like myself, it was money well spent.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
My view:

DSM glitches.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

my radio glitched too at my track at the same exact point, every single time, using my FM M8. As soon as DSM was released, i bought it and it makes a world of difference, especially for my confidence since i know my car won't make a dead left at the end of the straight!
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself
DSM glitches.
I do very RARELY get a small glitch maybe once in a night at the indoor asphalt track I race at. It is a very small glitch and usually happens on the same part of the track where it doesn't make a difference.

On the whole, however, the frequence that it happens is so rare, I say money well spent. I am sticking to that.

By the way, a number of months ago we ran a 12 hour onroad enduro. We used my spektrum equiped M8. It worked flawlessly for 12 hours straight, and my team (5 people) won the $1000 1st place prize.

So, my $200 prize paid for the spektrum right there.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have been "stepped on" once or twice also but, the source of interferance never seems to be other radios. Maybe, as has been noted, cell phones or static EMF or something. If I do get a glitch, it's usually resolved with fresh or fully charged transmitter batteries......just a thought.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Good point.

I think it is important to not run the transmitter below 10.0 volts.

I use recharables, so before I run, I usually plug in the charge jack for 5-10 mins before a race. I just use a 800mah 12volt power supply with the right size plug. Since I don't leave it on for any real lenght of time, I don't worry about overcharging or anything...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I can't tell the difference on speed. But with DSM heck made why racing a lot easier no more switching crystals pain in the a$$$$. and no more glitching
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #28
Tech Elite

I have just switched to the Pro system with my M11. Hoping that I wont be able to feel the response time. I have basically had to switch to the system because of on-going glitch issues with FM crystal set-up. I am really leary because I had the response problem with the original DSM. Ruined 2 1/2 months of racing for me. I never really felt the slow response time I think, but the lap times showed. Seemed like I went 10 steps backwards. If anything, it appeared the timing was off on steering to throttle input.

Time will tell if it works for me. Hoping it will. I am trying to be optimistic with DSM, believe me. It my only choice other than buying everything new.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

Many high level drivers have tried spektrum and switched back to FM due to feel issues. So the response time, or some other factor does influence the way the car reacts to the radio. A friend of mine, who is also a current national champion said it made his car feel broken!

I ran spektrum in my M8 at the carpet nats along with EJ Evans in the 12th stock main. My car felt okay, but the M8 is a slow clunky radio anyways. EJ was running an M8 too. We were the only spektrum users in the main. Its possible that the slow ol' M8 isn't really affected by the spektrum issues. Its also possible that I'm a total hack and can't tell the difference.

I will say this, if spektrum offered more advantages than liabilities for top drivers with newer radios. You can bet they would use it.

I'm planning on getting a new Helios or M11 in the near future. Based on the feedback from the fast guys running new radios that have tried spektrum in them, I'll be running FM.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can't see how anyone could feel the difference. You can't even hear the differance at 5ms ( it has to be at least 7-8ms ) let alone feel it. I think the main reason the pro's aren't running them is becuase of sponsership, the same reason brushless aren't being used. But I suppose anythings possible.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote