R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   novak chargers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/12145-novak-chargers.html)

blue micro 01-19-2003 07:17 PM

novak chargers

Right now i have a MRC superbrain 959 thats seems to do ok for my micro packs but they get hot and I know that cant be good for them. I plan to start racing 1/10 or 1/12 scale racing and am pretty sure i would need a new charger to take care of my packs. Im trying to decide bettween the novak ionic and the millennium(i know that there quite different). My question is will the since the ionic only charges up to 4.0 amps and most sub-c packs want 5.0 amp charge will it be ok and not ruin my packs? And I dont know what the voltage threshold is for the ionic is eaiter. so will the ionic be ok or should i go with the millennium?
Thanks

Neil Rabara 01-19-2003 08:50 PM

Charging at 4amps is fine, it will take a little longer to charge your packs though. You might want to look at a higher performance charger that will give you more charging/discharging options. CE, LRP, Novak chargers will do fine.

gcooper 01-19-2003 11:12 PM

I have the origional Millenium and have been very happy with it. If you have a variety of NIMH/Nicad packs it is great for that, including receiver packs. The threshold setting is also very good for compensating for a variety of packs. The new Millenium with the pit wizard might have a few more settings. The origional one will work just as well and might find a good deal on it.

As far as the Ionic. I have no idea. Might be worth going to the Novak site and looking up the info you need or ask on their Q&A.

coop

Korey Harbke 01-20-2003 10:23 AM

I know alot of people with novak chargers. They all seem to like them, Easy to use and if you have a Novak cyclone, C2, TC2, or atom, it has a pit wizard built into the charger.

Wilfred 01-20-2003 03:36 PM

Buy the millenium!

blue micro 01-21-2003 04:25 PM

i think ill get a millennium just to be safe. now to start looking!
Thanks

JDM_DOHC_SiR 01-21-2003 07:03 PM

I have 2 novak milleniums and I love them to death:nod: very good charger and very flexable too;) :D
-Dave:sneaky:

snoopy 01-21-2003 07:09 PM

Great for specific electric rc racing but not versatile enough for other forms of use

ZER01 01-21-2003 07:16 PM

Re: novak chargers

blue micro, charging at a lower amp rate will not hurt your cells. Charging at higher amp rates will hurt your cells. Peak detection is critical when charging NiMH's. I don't know the peak-detection of the Ionic but I do know Reedy's new charger(regular and pro) is .03V which is fine for all the new cells.

forceusr 01-21-2003 08:02 PM

The charging software in the Novak Ionic charger is the same charging software that is in the Millenium Pro - supposed to be top notch. I've got an Ionic. and it charges well, but as others have stated, it only goes up to 4.0 amps, and unfortunately, 4 amps isn't enough for my Sanyo 3300's.

I've been looking at higher end chargers, and I've narrowed my choices down to the Millenium Pro or the Integy 16x7. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Integy due to the fact that it has a 20 amp discharge function while the Novak only has a 4 amp discharge. The prices are very close, so that's not really an issue.
Plus, the Integy is AC/DC so I don't have to use a seperate power supply like I would for the Millenium Pro.

Just my 2 cents -

:tire: Rob :tire:

johnbull 01-22-2003 06:07 AM

Hi guys, Greetings from Malta.

Which Novak has a 4 amp discharge?

I don't know of any Novak chargers with a discharge function. Or am i missing something.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

badboy TC1 01-22-2003 06:16 PM

I think you should go for the millineum pro or the ionoc...it has a fix charger rate for nimh metal batts....im happy with my charger so far:) :) :)

forceusr 01-23-2003 08:25 PM

Originally posted by johnbull
Which Novak has a 4 amp discharge?

I don't know of any Novak chargers with a discharge function. Or am i missing something.

Whoops! My mistake. The charger I was referring to with the 4 amp discharge function was the Integy 16x3, which I have eliminated as a choice.

Sorry for the confusion.

:tire: Rob :tire: