R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2003, 09:40 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

soem guy at rain city whooped all our butts with one of those. It pulled every car on the straight.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Yeah, how did he get it to be so fast in a touring car? I gotta know Jose's secret.....

SeattleRCRacers.com - come race with us!
skibum989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:42 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Sushi, skibum -- I saw that, too (my son is Sam Forbes, races 19t, 12 stock). Must have been the motor. Randy and Chris used them in their 12th scales last weekend.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:45 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Doug -- Is it the "silver" motor Fantom has on shopatron? Thanks.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:16 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy

Can someone help a motor newbie out?

I have a P2K2 pro and currently I run the stock spur gear that came in the Losi XXX-S and run a 23 tooth pinion. If I get the Monster stock motor, what pinion should I run? Or should I change my spur as well?

Thanks!
Jits
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Quote:
or am i calculating wrong....
You need to include tire size as well. That will make a difference. If you run foam tires, you need to calculate roll out. Its more important then final drive, because its always changing as your tires get smaller.
Rob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well, i just run rubber tires....the diameter is 2.406 inches...i guess my rollout should be 1.191 ...but how does that figure into the real ratio?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #23
Tech Addict

JitsuGuy -

Couple of questions for ya - what size track are you racing on? foams or rubbers?? If Foam - what diameter tire are you running

In general, I would drop 1-2 teeth running 48 pitch gears... when changing the spur - think of it this way, each spur change is roughly 1/2 tooth on a pinion... or 23/90 is roughly the same as 22/86....

Wilde
Old 01-21-2003, 10:36 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Default Changes in gearing for the Monster Stock

Guys;

The general concenses is when going from a P2K to a Monster start with a 3 tooth pinion difference in the gearing. A good starting FDR for any TC will be in the 7.5 to 8.0 range for a medium size track with a straight 80 to 100 ft. Then adjust both the pinion and spur to get the optimum ratio.
These Motors like to rev and will respond to lower gearing (higher FDR). Also try a Red/Red spring combo. This will increase power in a TC with a very slight reduction in RPM (Dyno Tested).
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:43 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Quote:
Originally posted by JitsuGuy
Can someone help a motor newbie out?

I have a P2K2 pro and currently I run the stock spur gear that came in the Losi XXX-S and run a 23 tooth pinion. If I get the Monster stock motor, what pinion should I run? Or should I change my spur as well?

Thanks!
Jits
At RCR I would run with a 22/90. I've found that to be a pretty good ratio for Randys, Enid and Comp.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well, my straight is about 90ft longwith a 90 degree turn into a 50 ft straight. when i first got the Rev. of monster I did exactly what you guys are saying...go down 2 -3 teeth on the pinion. I ran it at 61/22...lets just say that it was rather pathetic, i was still doing okay, but it was cuz i wasnt crashing due to uncontrolable speed... :P so i kept going up on the pinions.... 23 was a bit better, 24 i could feel the motor barely strecthing its legs, 25 fast but feels like it can take way more. 26...dang, tamiya dont make it. and i'm looking for spurs that will fit my car, so far I've found a 72 tooth 48pitch robinson spur....but that dont fit cuz its too big by about a 1mm. ordered a 66 spur and hopefully that'll fit.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:59 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
???

Man when I hear all of you guys talking about gearing these 27T stocks up in the 7.5~8.2 range . I just find it hard to belive..I have 3 P2K2's and I usualy run them in the 5.6~6.1 range but I don't us them that often here in Japan .... but for the 23T JMRCA stock motors that I use I ususally end up gearing them in the 5.2~6.0 range and thats the norm for over here..It's just weird that you guys gear stuff way different than over here ..
BTW ..the local track that I run at only has a straight of about 12m and is very technical

Just my 2 Yen
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:31 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Default Best said quote on the MS

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Gaut
Well said Grizzbob. Its hard to believe but I keep finding myself gearing the monster about the same as I do my 11 and 12 turn mods in my XXX-S! The motor loves low gearing as well as lighter tension springs compared to what I used to run on my P2Ks.
Guys;

this is the way these Motors like to be geared. Try it and you'll be susprised.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Best said quote on the MS

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

this is the way these Motors like to be geared. Try it and you'll be susprised.
Ok ... so how do you gear an 11 or 12 turn mod ... I have only run mod for one pack on a practice night ... it was a burrowed motor I dont know the wind but it was geared as low as i had with the stock spur .... I currently gear my MHS in the 37/96 ( 64 pitch )range ... one lower or higher depending on the infield. tight and technical one or sometimes two lower ... open and fast one higher.

thanks
Roddude65
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:10 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by coolrcdad
Sushi, skibum -- I saw that, too (my son is Sam Forbes, races 19t, 12 stock). Must have been the motor. Randy and Chris used them in their 12th scales last weekend.
I think I've met you guys before. Yeah, Jose just pulled away as soon as I caught up in the infeild. On the straight I thought he had a 19T. lol