R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
kentech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 868
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC

The 2006 IFMAR Electric On-Road AGM was held at the Worlds last week in Italy.

Could those who were present please inform us a bit about what was discussed?

I understand there was some discussion about the ISTC class going to 4 cells to control the speeds? Was LIPO batteries discussed?

Any decision where the 2008 IFMAR Worlds will be?

Thanks for any info.
__________________
kentech.wordpress.com
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
burito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 511
Default

No decision on the 2008 Worlds, just known that it's going to be in the FEMCA block (Asia).

Lot's of things were discussed how to limit the power!
__________________
Reto Koenig
burito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
kyle "hitawall"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 496
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

why would you want to limit the power? the drivers at the worlds are the best of the best. that would be like putting a restricter plate on a formula 1 car.
__________________
RCAmerica|Xray|Hudy|Jaco|EPIC
kyle "hitawall" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
carkillaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito
No decision on the 2008 Worlds, just known that it's going to be in the FEMCA block (Asia).

Lot's of things were discussed how to limit the power!
Why the big issue over the power,any reports of people gettin hurt? whats the big deal,where not racing F1 cars , if this sport were to put lives at risk than ok but if not leave it alone
carkillaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
carkillaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle "hitawall"
why would you want to limit the power? the drivers at the worlds are the best of the best. that would be like putting a restricter plate on a formula 1 car.
on the same page Kyle
carkillaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
TLRacing
 
Todd Hodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: California
Posts: 1,676
Default

The reason that 4 or 5 cells was brought up was simply to reduce the heat issues we are experiencing in TC racing with 6 cells. There was not a decision made just an idea brought up. In A2 Hohwart was leading and his ESC shut off. Also in A2 Drescher's speedo went into thermal shutdown. Also the concern is that the cars are too fast. It is hard for people to drive these cars at the speeds they are going today. With that being said, it is hard for new comers to jump into the sport and have the ability to drive a car that goes 45-50mph.
__________________
Todd Hodge
Category Development Manager for Losi and Team Losi Racing
Losi and Team Losi Racing, brands of Horizon Hobby
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
carkillaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
The reason that 4 or 5 cells was brought up was simply to reduce the heat issues we are experiencing in TC racing with 6 cells. There was not a decision made just an idea brought up. In A2 Hohwart was leading and his ESC shut off. Also in A2 Drescher's speedo went into thermal shutdown. Also the concern is that the cars are too fast. It is hard for people to drive these cars at the speeds they are going today. With that being said, it is hard for new comers to jump into the sport and have the ability to drive a car that goes 45-50mph.
Ok I see your point
carkillaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Only way to decrease the speeds are taking away the horsepower...aka a cell or two. Atm, 1 is enough. In 8-10 years, 4 cells should be enough (if we ain't using Lipo, mind...)
bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
dr_hfuhuhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,502
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
The reason that 4 or 5 cells was brought up was simply to reduce the heat issues we are experiencing in TC racing with 6 cells. There was not a decision made just an idea brought up. In A2 Hohwart was leading and his ESC shut off. Also in A2 Drescher's speedo went into thermal shutdown. Also the concern is that the cars are too fast. It is hard for people to drive these cars at the speeds they are going today. With that being said, it is hard for new comers to jump into the sport and have the ability to drive a car that goes 45-50mph.

Honestly, I see what you're saying but totally disagree. ESC's going into thermal shutdown...send the ESC makers back to the drawing table to fix it. I think the Formula 1 analogy is right on. That's like saying limit Formula 1 racing to 65mph because that's all people can drive here in the US.

Don't dumb it down. People are dumb enough already.
__________________
"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Which side are you on?"

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

The problem with loosing 1 cell or even 2 from a NiMh pack is that it effectively knock out the possibility of LiPo from racing. With a LiPo you have either a 1 cell 3.7v pack or a 2 cell 7.4v pack. Unless you're going to run a voltage regulator you're SOL....

I'm actually curious how my 12th scale would run on a 1 cell LiPo, I'd probably have radio issues without a reciever pack.
__________________
I still lurk....
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
Tech Addict
 
carkillaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Honestly, I see what you're saying but totally disagree. ESC's going into thermal shutdown...send the ESC makers back to the drawing table to fix it. I think the Formula 1 analogy is right on. That's like saying limit Formula 1 racing to 65mph because that's all people can drive here in the US.

Don't dumb it down. People are dumb enough already.
Well Said
carkillaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 355
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen
Default

I really dont think it's an issue personately. I understand some people can't handle the horsepower of mod racing, so thats what 19T are for.

However, if you really wanna pony down, look at F1 for example. They cut off two cylinders to go slower. That decreased the topspeed by almost 20mph. Same in RC; take a cell away and you decrease speeds.

IF they do enforce the rule, dont plan on it taking effect until the worlds in 4 years time...car and electronic manufactors needs time to adjust.
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 90
Default

Todd, the heat"" issues that a minor few experienced is either down to unsuitable gearing/usage or poor quality, what about the other 90+% who didn't have any problems? I fail to see how one can justify such a potentially huge impact on the basis of just a few. Any change in this area will inevitably have an impact on chassis layout and design, and so "new" cars and costs will once again materialise. Secondly, there is also the impact on the other 2 classes, that in themselves outnumber modified right across the world from street basher to club racer and nationals, depending on the country. This is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS we are talking about, with the best drivers in the world, this has absolutely nothing to do with "new comers"........again, I fail to see the relationship between the two OR the relevance. Individual countries are still free to limit motors etc as they see fit, so what on earth has this to do with the WC?

This is the second time to my knowledge that this has been brought up at IFMAR, and the last time, as I understood it, it was said to go away and come back with supporting facts and proposals. I guess this is a game of bring it up enough times and something will get passed eventually.......I for one would like to hear exactly who keeps bring it up, why, and and some real facts about it!
modeltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
X2
Tech Regular
 
X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: England
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltech
Todd, the heat"" issues that a minor few experienced is either down to unsuitable gearing/usage or poor quality, what about the other 90+% who didn't have any problems? I fail to see how one can justify such a potentially huge impact on the basis of just a few. Any change in this area will inevitably have an impact on chassis layout and design, and so "new" cars and costs will once again materialise. Secondly, there is also the impact on the other 2 classes, that in themselves outnumber modified right across the world from street basher to club racer and nationals, depending on the country. This is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS we are talking about, with the best drivers in the world, this has absolutely nothing to do with "new comers"........again, I fail to see the relationship between the two OR the relevance. Individual countries are still free to limit motors etc as they see fit, so what on earth has this to do with the WC?

This is the second time to my knowledge that this has been brought up at IFMAR, and the last time, as I understood it, it was said to go away and come back with supporting facts and proposals. I guess this is a game of bring it up enough times and something will get passed eventually.......I for one would like to hear exactly who keeps bring it up, why, and and some real facts about it!
Bravo
X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Anders Myrberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manīs best friend: Hugo Myrberg
Posts: 1,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Honestly, I see what you're saying but totally disagree. ESC's going into thermal shutdown...send the ESC makers back to the drawing table to fix it. I think the Formula 1 analogy is right on. That's like saying limit Formula 1 racing to 65mph because that's all people can drive here in the US.

Don't dumb it down. People are dumb enough already.
That was a pretty stupid answer.
Who say they canīt do there job? Can you do it better? Didnīt thought so either.
I understand the power of the new cells have been increased quite much just over the last few months and most ESCīs have been designed before that.
This is not F1 with billion dollar budgets. This is RC cars. We need rules and parts that works for everything between local club races and world championship races.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 Ifmar 1/12th & 1/10th Istc Electric On-road World Championships – Danny Teh Malaysian R/C Racers 1 02-16-2005 10:38 AM
2006 Ifmar 1/12th & 1/10th Istc Electric On-road World Championships phlim Singapore R/C Racers 3 02-16-2005 09:52 AM
2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway AdrianM Electric On-Road 2162 12-29-2004 04:09 AM
2004 IFMAR 1/12th and 1/10th ISTC ELECTRIC TRACK WORLD CHAMPINSHIPS Marcos.J Electric On-Road 55 02-10-2004 09:05 AM
2003 Ifmar ISTC 1/10 on road???? Wilfred Electric On-Road 2 09-01-2003 05:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:39 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net