R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #511
Tech Elite
 
speedxl's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland Oregon.
Posts: 3,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk
I really do not appreciate to tonallity of your comments above
I was sharing my experience with 4 cell oval and 6 cell on road. I was sharing my experience, and when you tell me not to say I totally disagree with your comments. and you are a hater. you are an ass.

Maybe I wasn't being very clear, I did not say that oval was the same as on road. I race both and was merely sharing what the differences were to me.

You have a as much right to disagree with what I have to say as I disagree with you.
Well gues you win the door prize for being the first one to curse or getall bent out of shape in this thread.

Now pick you prize! Door 1 or Door 2, Or you can go with whats behind door 3!
__________________
Pemberton / R1 / All out motorsports / Team Power Push
speedxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #512
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk
not only are you an ass, your an idiot.
__________________
I still lurk....
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #513
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

i still don't understand why switching to a harder spec tire like 32's or 36's is not an option? instead of 3 or 4 g's in the corners you'd actually have to lift a little and modulate the throttle a little comming out of the bender... voila! everyone gets to keep their power and speed they just have to learn to handle it and the speedos get far less abused... oh yea and the tires last longer... anybody? isn't that more like driving anyhow? anybody?
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #514
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc
i still don't understand why switching to a harder spec tire like 32's or 36's is not an option? instead of 3 or 4 g's in the corners you'd actually have to lift a little and modulate the throttle a little comming out of the bender... voila! everyone gets to keep their power and speed they just have to learn to handle it and the speedos get far less abused... oh yea and the tires last longer... anybody? isn't that more like driving anyhow? anybody?
Becuase its not fun. Because harder tires increase the gap between the guys with setup skill and those who don't. Because cars with less grip are easier to upset and cause more racing incidents.

The Reedy races used to be on Proline H13's. Those tires had a lot less traction than we have now. The pros when to extreme lengths cutting and shaping inster to make then driveable...it was a nightmare. The privateers were in the weeds.

Because the H13 was the first spec tire at the time the Florida State Series started using them. It was miserable. The novices stopped coming to races, everyone complained. Car setup and tire prep was critical. This went on for 2 years. They switched to a more modern belted tire and never looked back. Racing was fun again because you didnt have to be a setup master just to get around the track. Racing was also closer as the better tires were more forgiving and had a bigger setup sweet spot letting more people go faster.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #515
Tech Elite
 
speedxl's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland Oregon.
Posts: 3,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Becuase its not fun. Because harder tires increase the gap between the guys with setup skill and those who don't. Because cars with less grip are easier to upset and cause more racing incidents.

The Reedy races used to be on Proline H13's. Those tires had a lot less traction than we have now. The pros when to extreme lengths cutting and shaping inster to make then driveable...it was a nightmare. The privateers were in the weeds.

Because the H13 was the first spec tire at the time the Florida State Series started using them. It was miserable. The novices stopped coming to races, everyone complained. Car setup and tire prep was critical. This went on for 2 years. They switched to a more modern belted tire and never looked back. Racing was fun again because you didnt have to be a setup master just to get around the track. Racing was also closer as the better tires were more forgiving and had a bigger setup sweet spot letting more people go faster.

Guys you DONT! want to deal with a harder tire trust Adrian and me on that.
It was a nightmare playing with inserts ex. airgap, tape, grinding, and cutting! You dont want that!
__________________
Pemberton / R1 / All out motorsports / Team Power Push
speedxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #516
Tech Regular
 
volracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 266
Send a message via ICQ to volracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieP
When people complain about the cost of touring cars....these are the same people who are buying Xray and Tamiya cars.......yes they run really well and are engineered incredibly.....but do you think they were selling as many touring cars as Associated was a few years back....NO WAY!

So the better mouse-trap that everyone is always asking for was supplied by X-ray and Tamiya....as well as the $1,000 bill that came with it. End Result....better cars but with a shorter line or pool of people to buy these cars!

I could not resist as an owner of a TC3, FTTC4 and FK05. Yes, everyone wants the latest and greatest. But if you can not supply parts what good is a better mousetrap. I have heard several stories of guys breaking parts on thier cars and the deliveryman did not make it in time to fix the car before the next race.

BTW, Mr. Ernie P. is right about his comments for a good car for newbies. I have to give him kudos for his efforts - Street Spec and T-Spec. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Oh, have you heard the one about the guy who wanted the top manufacturers to freeze engine technology and have the more competitive teams contribute to a fund to help the less competitive engine get better. Engines, that is F1 not R/C racing. Oh, those wonder international governing bodies.
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #517
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Becuase its not fun. Because harder tires increase the gap between the guys with setup skill and those who don't. Because cars with less grip are easier to upset and cause more racing incidents.

The Reedy races used to be on Proline H13's. Those tires had a lot less traction than we have now. The pros when to extreme lengths cutting and shaping inster to make then driveable...it was a nightmare. The privateers were in the weeds.

Because the H13 was the first spec tire at the time the Florida State Series started using them. It was miserable. The novices stopped coming to races, everyone complained. Car setup and tire prep was critical. This went on for 2 years. They switched to a more modern belted tire and never looked back. Racing was fun again because you didnt have to be a setup master just to get around the track. Racing was also closer as the better tires were more forgiving and had a bigger setup sweet spot letting more people go faster.
we're not talking about h13's here. cs32's have 3 times the grip of the h13's.. insert shaping is a thing of the past and they are hardly going to send anybody home because their car was undrivable....heck, in many places the cs32's are faster than the cs27's becasue of the heat...
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #518
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

i think we can all agree that the cars have become way too over engineered and expensive, the problem is if a good enough driver has a better car, it does come in to play.. we can't go backwards and all jsut agree to use less expensive cars... like for those horrible years i drove the associated b2's and b3's and rookies with losi's were dogging me... that is a killer...
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #519
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc
we're not talking about h13's here. cs32's have 3 times the grip of the h13's.. insert shaping is a thing of the past and they are hardly going to send anybody home because their car was undrivable....heck, in many places the cs32's are faster than the cs27's becasue of the heat...
I know H13's were an extreme example but less grippy tires are always an advantage to racers with setup skill and are a disadvantage to novices.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #520
Tech Fanatic
 
fatbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 811
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc
i still don't understand why switching to a harder spec tire like 32's or 36's is not an option? instead of 3 or 4 g's in the corners you'd actually have to lift a little and modulate the throttle a little comming out of the bender... voila! everyone gets to keep their power and speed they just have to learn to handle it and the speedos get far less abused... oh yea and the tires last longer... anybody? isn't that more like driving anyhow? anybody?

Because not everyone in the world races on Rubber tires. It just so happens that here in New Zealand foam tires suit our circumstances and lesser budgets better.
__________________
Team Associated www.teamassociated.com
Team Tekin www.teamtekin.com
B-Fast R/C Performance www.bfastrc.com
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #521
Tech Elite
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I know H13's were an extreme example but less grippy tires are always an advantage to racers with setup skill and are a disadvantage to novices.
i certainly don't dissagree with what you are saying, but is it any different than the advantage people will have if they have motor tuning skills battery sponsors and motor sponsors which come further into play by placing a new premium on speed by reducing voltage? i thought the point of this discussion was reducing stress on electronics, not stress on rookies...
__________________
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #522
Tech Fanatic
 
ttso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 900
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

4cells modify is NOT 100% slower than 6cells modify. It's very very track depend. If your track is 10~12sec, tons of corner with no straight line, I doubt 4cells modify would be slower than 6cells modify, especially when you put a 4T 5T motor into system.

I don't think you can do 4T 5T motor with 6cells, unless you live in someplace which is freeze like arctic to cool down motor/ESC.

So you probably will get the same laptime, but less part wear and better drivability due to less weight.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #523
Tech Fanatic
 
ttso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 900
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc
i certainly don't dissagree with what you are saying, but is it any different than the advantage people will have if they have motor tuning skills battery sponsors and motor sponsors which come further into play by placing a new premium on speed by reducing voltage? i thought the point of this discussion was reducing stress on electronics, not stress on rookies...
Bcz less power only makes you slower, not make your car undrivable

I had hard time once when I bring wrong tire to carpet track (36 sorex on carpet, lol). I'm not only go very slow (never been that slow before), but very very hard to drive, not good experience and surely no fun.

Slower due to less power only makes you want more power. But slower due to less drivability will make you quit the hobby.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #524
Tech Fanatic
 
King-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 837
Send a message via ICQ to King-G
Default

hence my problem with going to 4 cell TTSO

the use of 4turn and 5 turn motors! that is rediculous, and surely we will face the same problems we have now..thrown winds due to excessive RPM, arms going out of balance, and heat due to excessive current draw.

reduce the cells, and racers will use more powerfull motors, and were back to a runtime war...

for the first time we have excess runtime, and were looking for ways to take it back to the old ways of spending fortunes on batteries for those last few seconds of runtime...
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #525
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

I`m tellin yeah ...


2w sedan = goal
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 Ifmar 1/12th & 1/10th Istc Electric On-road World Championships Danny Teh Malaysian R/C Racers 1 02-16-2005 10:38 AM
2006 Ifmar 1/12th & 1/10th Istc Electric On-road World Championships phlim Singapore R/C Racers 3 02-16-2005 09:52 AM
2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway AdrianM Electric On-Road 2162 12-29-2004 04:09 AM
2004 IFMAR 1/12th and 1/10th ISTC ELECTRIC TRACK WORLD CHAMPINSHIPS Marcos.J Electric On-Road 55 02-10-2004 09:05 AM
2003 Ifmar ISTC 1/10 on road???? Wilfred Electric On-Road 2 09-01-2003 05:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net