R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Fk04 Steering problem

Seems like everytime i accelerate hard, the whole steering unit steers left alittle bit (maybe around 3 degrees) automatically. I also tested this by taking my tires off and it seems to have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Tech Elite

First: make sure your top deck is aligned properly. The plastic pieces that hold the bellcrank shaft are NOT symetrical.

Second: Make sure that your diff is not angled. It could be if you put it in and didn't pay close attention to the belt tightening adjustments on both sides of the diffs (the black plastic peices that notch into scallops in the bulkheads)

Third: Make sure that there is no binding in the drive shafts, like the bearings are going out on one side, or if your using blades on the outdrives-that one of them isn't broken.

Fourth: Check for tweak in the chassis. Loosen the screws in the top plate, and the screws that attach the bulkheads to the bottom chassis, and retighten. Bottom screws first, then press down on a flat surface and tighten the top deck.

If you go through the car complete, and can't find the problem, it could be some type of a glitch with your electronics.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

also make shure your servo is secured, ive had mine comloose and have kinda the same thing.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a similar problem with my car a bit ago. Sounds like mine was a bit more erratic in that it went both right and left upon accelerating. Ended up being a bad pot in my servo.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

try discontecting the servo tie rod at the servo horn and then punch the throtle. Watch the servo and see in the horn moves under power. if it does try another servo. if it still does it change motors and then if it still does it could be the esc its self or the receiver. could be that you need to use more servo tape to hold down the electronics I use three pieces on the receiver and the esc to better insulate them from the cf.... might be over kill but i dont like to glitch

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advices

I disconnected the servo from the steering unit and placed the car on a stand. When i full throttle the steering unit would turn left.

I dont suppose tweak could cause this. doesnt seem to be binding parts and the diff is balanced

Any idea from the diagnose?
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomTask
Thanks for the advices

I disconnected the servo from the steering unit and placed the car on a stand. When i full throttle the steering unit would turn left.

I dont suppose tweak could cause this. doesnt seem to be binding parts and the diff is balanced

Any idea from the diagnose?
reread

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hudson
try discontecting the servo tie rod at the servo horn and then punch the throtle. Watch the servo and see in the horn moves under power. if it does try another servo. if it still does it change motors and then if it still does it could be the esc its self or the receiver. could be that you need to use more servo tape to hold down the electronics I use three pieces on the receiver and the esc to better insulate them from the cf.... might be over kill but i dont like to glitch

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote