R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Q's About First Race This Weekend. Tips, Advice?

So this Sunday should be the first time I actually get to race. I'll just be racing in the novice class at the local Hobby Town. A couple of questions now...

Other than the obvious tools, charger, dis-charger, what should I make sure to bring?

Any etiquette I should be aware of?

I've watched plenty of racing but I'm still not quite sure how the winner is determined. Is it your best 4 lap times or so? How many races are usually held in one day?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

You biggest goal should be to HAVE FUN!!!! This is a hobby, remember that...

Pack a lunch and something to drink.... Especially if you need to save money for replacement parts.

Most places run 3 qualifiers and then the mains. Everyone is placed into mains by the number of laps they complete in the alotted time... The guys with the most laps will be int he A main and then you go to B... C... and so on....

How many races depends on the turnout.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Assuming it is outdoors you will want to bring some kind of shade and beverages. Sunscreen probably wouldnt hurt either.

For etiquette one of the important things is to just make sure you are available to turn marshall after your race and be careful when doing it. Ie dont pick a car up by the wing, watch for other cars, etc.

Most club racers are a set of qualifiers where you are just racing for your best time, not against each other. This is really important to understand. So when a faster car comes up near you just let them pass. These races are strictly to determine the starting order of the mains. The last race where you are racing against each other.

Hope that makes sense and good luck!
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck and have fun!
Its the best way of spending a day!
My advice, talk to the locals! They'll fill you in on local rules and how to get by, give you tips on setup, tyres, gearing etc and if you need help they'll usually be glad to help. This is a great sport with many friendly people.
Oh and if you get it wrong and you probably will, go and apologise first, it creates a teriffic sportsmanlike impression which few can take issue with and you will most likely make some excellent friends!

Best of luck

Paul
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Tech Regular

try and get there early and let the people know thats running the event that this is your first race. there might be someone there that will let you pit next to them to help you understand whats going on. dont go with an attitude. also find out which tires they are running. be prepared to buy another set of tires incase you have the wrong type of tires.
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

make sure you have all of your batteries charged, that way you can get a couple of practice rounds in. get there early, for same reasons as above. at my Hobbytown, there are 2 qualifiers, best times from both rounds decide the order in the mains. mains are 5 min, person with the most amount of laps in the shortest time win.

for etiquitte, dont deliberatley take anyone out, and if you cause a spin, wait for the other guy to get rolling, unless he took you out deliberatly. oh yeah, dont cut the course, if you accidentaly skip ahead, wait untill the people that were ahead of you get ahead of you again. If you are getting lapped let the guy pass you. if someone is trying to pass you in the main, and they are behind you, you can try and block, but don't deliberatley take him out.

The most important rule though is to HAVE FUN!!! Dont get disgruntled if you dont do good. Everybody had their first race, and everybody has came in last at one point in their life. Just have fun!
Fantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih
try and get there early and let the people know thats running the event that this is your first race. there might be someone there that will let you pit next to them to help you understand whats going on. dont go with an attitude. also find out which tires they are running. be prepared to buy another set of tires incase you have the wrong type of tires.
Great advise, pit next to someone who can help. Also be accepting of all info and advise given to you. Try to and you will enjoy yourself. One day you might race against some of the pros. Good luck and let us all know how it went.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

just always charger your batteries. keep them all peaked....
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When you are slower than somebody, hold your line. Do not try to block them, just hold your line and they will find their way around. There is nothing more frusterating for a guy that is on a good run to try to pass a lap car and them to move out of their line and ultimately get taken out by them. Most of the time when you are getting passed, it will be on the inside, just hold steady and they will cut inside you. Don't get nervous when someone is coming up on you. RELAX, it is all about stick time. You will get better.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Latch onto someone friendly and let them be your racing mentor for awhile. Sit by them and ask questions when they don't appear to be too busy.

My original mentor was "BadBoy"... Basically taught me to slow down to be fast because overshooting corners is a killer for lap times.

And practice like you are racing to get the most out of the experience.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I picked up a canopy tent today to stay out of the shade. If the people at the track are half as helpful as everyone here I should do ok.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

...hopefully, you are going to "stay out of the SUN"...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I picked up a canopy tent today to stay out of the shade. If the people at the track are half as helpful as everyone here I should do ok.
If you want to stay out of the shade leave the canopy at home.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Hey Slamman, so how did it go on your first raceday?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Tech Champion

another tip would be to learn from mistakes and where you can improve- Did the car turn well,did it have enough speed without you making mistakes because of it,those kind of things can always make your next race better

As said earlier though,the main this when starting off is to have FUN - Being competitive comes with practice and experience

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote