R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Of Wheels and Bodies... a couple questions

Hi. Firstly, thanks for the advice in the other thread, and I'd like to say that I'm excited about joining this hobby!

Suppose I get a car similar to this one:
http://www.gems-of-time.co.uk/nitrotek/8.html

Basically, we're talking about a 1:10 scale electric on-road car. I have a couple questions...

1) Body -- I'd like to get a clear muscle car body (like a 1960s Camaro) and do a custom paint job. I'm totally excited about this. If I get a 190 mm body, it should fit, correct? Any problems with a 200 mm body? Anything I need to look out for to ensure the body fits properly?

2) Wheels -- I'd like to get some cool-looking wheels and drifting tires. How do I figure out which wheels will fit on the car? If the car is advertised as having 66 * 26mm, is that referring to diameter * width?

Thanks.
nfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

if you wanna get in to the hobby and know what it feels like..get a real rc cars, not toys... you can buy used once that are so damn cheap here on rctech or on ebay..

you can buy bodies from hpi, protoform, parma... and 190mm would fit on all 1/10 electric RC cars.. talking about wheels mostly for rubber tires 24mm is used but there are also 26mm that is sold in the market...
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Got Xray?

Quote from the website listed above

""With a powerful 540 motor, bevel differentials and an electric speed controller the model is rocketed to speeds of up to 60 km/h.""

OMFG are you joking,these guys must be on crack,these "powerful 540" motors sound better than my 10 turn
i dont think my 10 turn would even go 60!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Save your pennies and buy a used TC3 or other mass market RC car from here or eBay. You'll be able to buy parts for it when they break (and they will), and you'll have something that is more than just a toy.

HPI and McAllister make 200mm (nitro chassis, not the 190mm electric) bodies of American muscle cars from the 60s. HPI has a couple of Mustangs, a Camaro and a Cuda that has been seen on a touring car chassis. To run one of the wide bodies on an electric chassis and not have it look odd, you need to use HPI wheels with a 6mm offset in them to space them out further. The HPI vintage 5-spokes look fantastic under the muscle cars, but you can only fit one type of tire to that wheel (HPI vintage tires). You can also get most of their other wheels in 6mm offset if you want to do drifting stuff (you'll need special "tires" for that, too).

Check out the HPI items here, and the McAllsiter lineup here. There is more out there, too, but you might have to dig a bit for it.

The biggest thing is to not buy that car you showed in the first link. This isn't primadona stuff from the guys here, just common sense if you want something more than a plastic toy. You'll feel better about it in the long run and spend probably the same cash. Plus, you'll know how the car works.

Good luck,

d
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeh i have to agree buy a second hand car anything main stream and u will be sweet so these include
associated tc4
tamiya tt-01 tb-02 or a trf 415 (if ur rich)
kyosho just released the tf-5 (once again this is a pro chassis and will be overkill for drifting but its pretty with all the aluminium bits)
losi xxx-s, jrxs
schumacher mi2 (just released a revised chassis so afew of these might be for sale good tuff car its what i race and i hit the boards a lot so far no breakages)
xray fk-04, 05 or t2
corally rdx or assasin
most cars i have listed are pro race cars and are probably well over $200 new but buy what suits ur budget and spend ur cash wisely a m11 radio is over kill even for a interediate racer imo so check out the hitec srx futaba 3pm sanwa/airtronics mx-3 jr x3 or sumtin
all good all reasonably priced
dont buy matched batteries i bought some matched packs and u really only need matched batteries if u race competitively and can complete a run with out touching the boards.
motor id stick with a silver can 540 to perfect ur driving skills
esc once again stay main stream novak lrp futaba and tekin and ko propo all good quality
that leaves your tires question anything with a 12mm hex(standard on all touring cars) so prety much u can run 24 or 26mm rims just pick the ones that look nice but as a warning for a new driver u maybe better to buy nylon rims as plastic rims crack with hard hits trust me ive cracked 3 rims and re glueing tires sucks. so i like proline dish and schumacher revlites but this ir more personal.
bodies? the guys here are right 190mm will all fit i think parma have some nice muscle cars and so do hpi.

as for up grades all i can say is practice is under rated practice practice and more practice and ull get better bying up grades feels good at the time (love adding new bling) but is short lived when u break the car or loose a race so just practice and maybe buy a few battery packs (4 is good 6 is great)

main thing imo is have fun, a guy turns up with all the pro gears and u know will kick ur ass. dont get put of ask questions and watch his driving u might just learn something.

hope this helps.
remember practice and fun
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Judging by his original post, I don't think it should be assumed that he wants or plans to race, but play with in the street/parking lot/driveway, etc. Most of the cars that you mentioned would be a waste of time and money for a "basher". You don't need an Xray FK05 or a Schumacher MI2 to drift around in the driveway.

You can buy used Tamiyas and Associated TC3s for $60-$100 all day long, and might even get motors and batteries with your purchase, if you look hard enough.

I'm guessing that with the price tag on that kit you posted in pounds, you don't live in the U.S. Check eBay of your relative country and seek out a good setup used (motor, battery, charger, radio, etc), and you will enjoy your new hobby a LOT more.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote