Old 01-19-2003, 03:02 AM   #31
Tech Adept

why not just turn all the limiters off.

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:31 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

wat is the spur/pinion tat u r using?...
i'm using spur 120/45...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:21 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ijnek u talking to me?better ask my FDR right?
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:27 AM   #34
Tech Elite

sorrie...talking 2 imataquito...
he is driving 414m n i have a 04r...should have the same internal gear ratio so i jus tell him my spur/pinion...
Old 01-19-2003, 07:02 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh ok.wrong number.pls check ur email ok?
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:34 AM   #36
Tech Adept

imataquito, are you using a Zero V extreme? by throttle limiter do you mean "power limiter" if so that should be on 100 not 0!! on 0 mine will only go to 79% throttle and accelerate very slowly. The lowest i go is 80 and thats only when racing with standing water on the track.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #37
Tech Elite

i think i understand wat u mean.u mean to say that imataquito has turn his power limiter/current limiter to the full and reduce his punch to the max...
Old 01-19-2003, 11:47 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by John Stranahan
Although the voltage reverses during recirculation, the current continues in the same direction driving the motor for free. It is not braking.
The way I read this, means that the voltage goes in one direction and the current in the opposite? Through the same diode? Which are a one-way conductor? Sounds weird....
Old 01-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #39
Tech Elite

ya...sounds weird 2 mi too...
school nvr taught tat current and voltage can reverse-flow...???
Old 01-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Cole Trickle-During a power pulse the battery drives current through the motor. Electrons enter the motor though the blue wire/terminal and exit through the red wire/terminal; no current goes through the Schottky diode. The recirculating current and it's voltage is produced internally in the motor by the collapse of the magnetic field in a motor pole when the power pulse is cut off. The red terminal becomes negative and electrons are pumped out through this red terminal (by the motor itself) through the Schottky diode into the blue terminal; the current recirculates. So electrons always come out the red terminal even though it changes polarity after each pulse. The difference is that with recirculating current the source of the voltage or EMF is inside the motor. With a power pulse the source of Voltage is the Battery.

I have a page explaining this in more detail. If anyone is interested send me an e-mail. [email protected]

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-21-2003 at 07:34 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Old 01-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #42
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D

John Stranahan - Sorry about jumping in late... but I just started reading the thread. I understand what you explained earlier relating drive frequency to efficiency using the oscilloscope at the higher and lower drive frequencies. You came to the conclusion that the lower frequency is more efficient. While this may be correct, I don't agree that it applies when considering the whole system. For example, a few posts back you stated:

"You get increased efficiency by using the recirculating current effectively. The way to do this with a mod motor is to gently apply the throttle and keep your trigger just ahead of the car's speed rather than jamming the trigger to full throttle right after the corner. This increases the time that you are at part throttle and utilizes the free recirculating current effectively."

This is correct, but many drivers are not capable of using this throttle control - or at least consistently. This is where the use of a higher drive frequency comes in. Smoothly applying the throttle exiting a turn allows the ESC, battery, motor and car chassis to operate more efficiently. The ESC operates at lower current levels and is more efficient, the battery and motor generate less heat with lower current spikes and the car chassis puts power to the ground more efficiently. Increasing the drive frequency will increase the smoothness of vehicle acceleration and in turn increase vehicle run time.

On a smaller scale the ESC may not operate as efficiently with higher drive frequencies, as stated before, but the whole system (car moving around the track) is more efficient.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:38 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Mike another reason I suspected that runtime was improved on high traction surface in a touring car is that two racers that I reported on above did a high and low frequency experiment with a 10/2 and told me they got more runtime. I have not heard a single report otherwise from a person that did the experiment only hypotheses.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:02 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I did this test at my track and I had more runtime left over with the lower freq and I think this was because I was deep into the throtle with the higher freq. trying to get good punch out of the corners while with the low freq I wasn't into the throtle as deep since the car got up to speed quicker without much effort on my part (pulling the trigger) I feel that with decent throtle control and decent punch the less you have to pull the more runtime you'll have. I also did my test with a 10x2.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:14 PM   #45
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

sooo...... which one actually has more runtime left over ??
and which one has more punch ??

opts sorry for late reply ijnek ...

i am on 36 or 38 pinion and 112 spur

power limitor is off (on 100% power)

u use 45/120 and u get more punch ............. sigh

i never get enuff punch
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote