R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Default Boomer;

Quote:
Bad news. The rebalanced armature WAS much smoother with less vibration, BUT because of the material removed from the laminations the power was way down on my Dyno.
I believe that a "perfectly" balanced arm will spin-up MUCH faster thereby increasing acceleration. Any unwanted vibration would be lost power.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:42 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

popsracer
By Big 'T' do you mean Jim Dieter or Jim Greenemeyer?

Boomer
Q1. I know they use 'dynamic' balancing to know how much epoxy to use and where. I assume its put on the ends because anywhere else other than under the windings and it might fly off. Just for grins I'm going to check around with a few machine shops and get some prices for balancing.

I normally buy the 'pro' versions of Trinity stock motors. My LHS has plenty of everything so I can cherry pick my motors. On a few occasions I have purchased a motor that didn't produce anywhere near the #'s advertised on the can using a Robi dyno. In every case but one (tweaked brush hood) the problem was the arm was overshimmed in the can. Most wouldn't make more the 2-3 revolutions with the brushes removed. I just purchased two of the Monsters and both of them had great can #'s but were overshimmed and didn't produce those #'s on my dyno. Anyone else with similar experiences?
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Default The Big 'T'

dalem;

Just "Trinity" in general.
I would rather go to a local machine shop and have my arms rebalanced.
I'm still concerned that removing more material from the laminations will reduce power as I am seeing some evidence of this with my Dyno.
What kind of numbers are you seeing on your Robi with the Monster stock. My best Monster has 126.1 watts and a max RPM of 30,996. Any advice on tuning?

Most of the experienced Dyno guru's say to ignor the labels on the motors, they are just not reliable.
Have you checked out the Hobbytalk message board. Most of those guys race oval and live by the Dyno. Alot of great information there.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:23 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

how sould i gear my hellfire
racer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:22 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Default RE: The Big 'T'

When I mentioned 'Big Jim' earlier I was talking about Jim Greenemeyer. He's the former Trinity employee who wrote the R/C Motor Black Book. He lives locally and now makes his living tuning motors. I use him for can zapping and arm balancing.

As for the Monster Stock, I'm getting average #'s of 31-33K RPM & 127-131 Watts (no BS or fish stories). Either PM me or we can start a new thread if others are interested in trading tips & dyno #'s.

I visit Hobbytalk on a regular basis. Many 'salty dogs' there, great info coming from retired engineers and the like.

Do you currently have your arms balanced at a machine shop? I ask because I was going to burn a few hours of daylight over the next few weeks trying to find a machine shop that will balance arms and get some pricing.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:52 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Default dalem;

Currently I do not send my motors out for 3rd party work.
I've only had my Robi for about a month and have only been racing electric for 6 months now, (Nitro for over 3-1/2 years) so I'm still on the learning curve.

Thanks,

dalem; You have PM.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-18-2003 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #22
Tech Champion

My p2k2pro armature has balancing holes in it. Still the original arm from 3+ years ago.

Still going strong too I must admit it doesnt see a skim as often as others do... But the comm is kept very clean

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote