R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #16
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Does the cap reduce ripple voltage on the battery?

Pro-Line RacingHobbywingMIPBOOMrcFutabaPT RC Racing Oils
CCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Team Tekin

Yes, It is more like the Rocky Mountains without it. Ripple hardly describes it but it is a nice technical term. stopping and starting 100amps creates tidal waves.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

I made the mistake of running my G11 on sunday with an 8 turn motor with no cap... It lasted 4 laps then went BZZZZZT POOF... I'll be sendin that to ya on monday Team Tekin. I can vouch for the "ripple" voltage not being too friendly to the speedo without a cap.

Other than that minor issue, I still love Tekin's products. I still have a G12CIII from about 10 years ago that still runs strong no matter what I throw at it..

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
Team Tekin

*Important* THE NOVAK CAP

Seemed simple to just add any cap that was big enough, but it turns out there are some side effects on our circuit that we did not anticipate…..

We will be specifying a proper cap for our unit as soon as possible. Until then we unfortunately have told everyone that the Novak cap will work and we were WRONG! It will likely work if it is hanging on a few inches of wires like on the GTX, but direct mounted to our solder post (where caps belong and work best) It is not good!! For us in particular because we truly pass all the power… right now..

So …. Until we can get caps specified and out to everyone please use off the shelf electrolytic caps 16volt to 25volt and 1000uf to 3300uf. Older caps that came with older speedos are fine as well.

So here’s the choice for us all in the future to deal with these power levels…. Until technology improves.

1. A smaller cap directly on the speedo

2. A huge cap on wires that can be mounted anywhere.

Choose the lessor of 2 evils..... Price of pushing the limits.

Tekin Prez
Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #20
Team Tekin

The cap we will be offering is a 16v, 1000uf selected specifically for our system. Off the shelf "average quality" caps need to be larger to be effective but will work.

Tekin Prez
Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Are there any known negative effects of running an external capacitor while running stock or 19T motors?
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, to be honest, there's a problem in touring car in my opinion, with horsepower.....they run too much!! When you really think about it, running 6, 7, and 8 turn motors in anything is just rediculous. Why make them rocket ships that are so close to the edge of out of control???

Why not make them still fast with a 9 turn limit, and the competition would possibly be closer as driving skill and car setup would be more critical....although I do understand it still is now, but it would be more fun to watch I think, and even more importantly, it might make it a little cheaper to run....I mean, if they run 6 and 7 turns, why not run a 4 or 5 turn?? Why not a 1 turn?? I mean even with the efficient V2 and Checkpoint motors that last longer between cuts and new brushes, you're right back to cutting the comms and replacing brushes almost every run again.

The number of turns in a mod motor for touring car just keeps getting lower and lower....it's pretty rediculous. A few years ago, it was thought that running a 9 turn in anything but a drag racing car, was pretty crazy. Anything below a 9 turn motor, was considered a drag racing wind.

Maybe with the Tekin speedos, there should be a sort of chart to tell people depending on what class they run, type of car, what turn motor, gearing, etc., whether their specific situation would call for one of these new caps, or diodes. It seems that really only touring cars running stupid motor are the ones having a lot of trouble. Maybe I'm wrong?? I'm just taking a guess at it, but that is what it seems like from what I hear and read.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Therer used to be a 10 turn limit a few years back at the Reedy, but many motors threw winds and overheated in an attempt to go faster. Think of a ten turn "stock" motor, but with adjustable timing. Not good. Better to rebuild every round than to have the motor guy not sleeping at night because he's winding new arms...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

And on a related note, Tekin is developing a brushless setup too, right?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What happened when you imposed a wind limit, is people just turned the wick up on the motor, seeing timing points similar or greater than a stock motor, and then the motor became a consumable.

The new cap does look sexy though.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban

i have an esc before i think it was futaba and the brakes went gone but before the brakes were gone i heard a poppin` sound... what do you think is the cause?? rightt now i tried putting g12cIII esc do you think that it requires external schotky diode? team tekin do i have to put external diode? BTW i will be running mod 11x2.. what do you think? im afraid that the g12cIII will lose its brake..
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #27
Tech Champion

No extra's needed, the manual is here if you need it.

http://www.teamtekin.com/Manuals/P12...G12cIII,G9.pdf

Hook up your motor etc and NAIL IT!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Oh, and if youre wondering why you don't need to run one its because the diode is already built in to it

Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team
Oh, and if youre wondering why you don't need to run one its because the diode is already built in to it
oh good.. but i heard something about g12cIII that the brake fades away? why is that?
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
oh good.. but i heard something about g12cIII that the brake fades away? why is that?
I can't say I have heard of that myself, neither have I heard of other people asking about this on the Tekin forum so I can't comment on what youre saying.

My advice would be to go for a good known starting point on the gearing for your track and let us know how things go.

Hope that helps