Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ceramic Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Ceramic Bearings

Do ceramic bearings make any difference in a touring car, if so which brand is better.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ceramic bearings will definately make your drive train super smooth, but they come with a very expensive price tag. Two companies I would recommend are Acer & Boca.

I did see that you were looking at also buying a TC to start racing, correct? If you are just getting into racing, I would hold off on the ceramic bearings, and invest the money in other racing essentials. The two companies above also make other types of bearings that are upgrades from stock, but a lot less expensive than ceramic.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

I race I have been racing my BD. When it was new it was fast but now it is to slow and that is holding me back.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

...not to sound too cynical here, but this topic seems to pop up on this board about every two weeks or so; "Ceramic bearings", that is...

IMO ceramics are overated. Period.

Spend your time and money on more important, more useful things, like TIRES! The right tires- and NEW tires- will always make more difference on the track than the most expensive ceramic bearings. Try experimenting with traction compounds, different application processes, etc. These are the type of things that will help you go faster...

And as long as your standard bearings are clean and oiled and well-maintained, they shouldn't hinder the performance of the drive train.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
...not to sound too cynical here, but this topic seems to pop up on this board about every two weeks or so; "Ceramic bearings", that is...

IMO ceramics are overated. Period.
I think its just the maintenance of the bearings that make the diffrence in the car rather than the bearings themselves. I have found good results with my bearings as long as I clear the dirt and stuff from them after about 10 to 15 runs (approx)

Other than that, I have to go with you on the "overated" assesment.

my .02
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

for all your ceramic bearing questions check out these threads

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...ramic+bearings

Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

booyah.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seaball
booyah.
things ya do when yer bored off yer arse!! eh?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howard hudson
things ya do when yer bored off yer arse!! eh?
i prefer to think of it as something everyone should do before creating a redundant thread. either way you look at it, the search function has it's place.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If I can get you Ceramic Bearing for 7.00 a piece and Diff Balls for .90 each. Would you be interested, any and everybody? My question, if the price was right would you consider them? (I'm not trying to jack your post here, just asking a question to you and others that are pro and con of Ceramic Beargings.

I know a lot of people think they are expensive, and they are, but talk about less drag o the drive train and free wheelin though the corner... WOW..... I will not run anything less in my car now....

But really if you are clubing it, and you are starting out, then it is not a good spend of your funds... If are trying to run with the top of the A main... Well maybe then....
Old 06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Ceramics shouldn't cost more than $4 each
Old 06-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Default pure hype

Originally Posted by bvoltz
I know a lot of people think they are expensive, and they are, but talk about less drag o the drive train and free wheelin though the corner... WOW..... I will not run anything less in my car now....
most of the guys in the stock class that have won the last few national races do not use ceramic bearings. stephen sobottka didn't even remove the grease before he tq'ed and won last year's indoor champs. there is absolutely no difference in lap times. if there were, they would be essential for stock racers since horsepower is a big part of the package.

there may be an advantage for these expensive "hop-ups", but among them, you'll not find lower lap times.

Last edited by seaball; 06-26-2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: my spelling sucked.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Ceramics shouldn't cost more than $4 each
do tell then... 4.00 each... that is really cheap...
Old 06-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Yup, $4 each retail. You can shoot me a pm for info.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ceramic bearing do make a smooth drive train, most of these bearings are made for the aircraft industry and are expensive, the companies that make them for aircraft have to certify each bearing before it is sold to that industry, the bearings that we run are not certified which keeps the cost down, you can find manufactures that sell these bearings cheap, a full kit for touring car should cost around $60. check out local bearing shops around your town and ask them for prices on them, just remember there are different levels of ceramic but what i have bought are the same quality that i used to purchase from the above mentioned big boys.

just a thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.