R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 19 Turn Spec....Which One to Buy???

I am looking to get a 19t spec motor for my 415, but have no idea which ones are good and which are not. My typically track will be on the tighter side with only one long straight, a sweeper at the end of the straight, and all other turns are tight. If anyone knows, I mainly go to the Tamiya Aliso Viejo track (if that helps).

I will also need a motor for a faster track. Any motor tips for both would help. I am going by TCS rules as well. The rule states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya TCS Rules
SPEC 19Turn Ball bearing motors are the only motors allowed for the GT-1 Class. Examples of these types of motors are; Team Orion Element Spec 19T, Reedy #509 Spec 19T, Reedy #513 Quad Mag 19T Spec, and the Trinity Chameleon 2 Spec 19T. Again, these are examples of motors that are legal. All 19Turn motors must be fixed timing and have machine-wound armatures. Although ROAR has allowed hand wound armatures in their races, this will not be the case for TCS races.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKing
I am looking to get a 19t spec motor for my 415, but have no idea which ones are good and which are not. My typically track will be on the tighter side with only one long straight, a sweeper at the end of the straight, and all other turns are tight. If anyone knows, I mainly go to the Tamiya Aliso Viejo track (if that helps).

I will also need a motor for a faster track. Any motor tips for both would help. I am going by TCS rules as well. The rule states:
Checkpoint !
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

KD... nuff said
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I'll agree with the CP on a tighter track. If I was to run a more open layout, I would run a Komodo.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
I'll agree with the CP on a tighter track. If I was to run a more open layout, I would run a Komodo.
CP performed awesome on a very long track, you can gear it to the moon and it won't budge as long as you use infinity brushes.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Money

The Checkpoint 19 turn Money motor is pretty fast. I run the Infinity silver brushes with the stock springs and I can get up to 15 runs before changing them out. The Z-zone based 19 turn is super fast as well. They turned the same lap times for me.

RC America/ X-ray/ SRG www.superradgraphics.com/ Hudy/ R1wurks/ TeamBocaBearings
GTRtuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
CP performed awesome on a very long track, you can gear it to the moon and it won't budge as long as you use infinity brushes.
What roll-out are you ending up with? The CP I ran had ungodly amounts of torque but fell a little flat on the high end. It came off the track around 175-180 degrees indoors.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

CP sounds like the winner! I had already been leaning towards that. Anyone running it with a 414msx? What sort of gearing are you running with?
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
What roll-out are you ending up with? The CP I ran had ungodly amounts of torque but fell a little flat on the high end. It came off the track around 175-180 degrees indoors.
4,54 FDR at halifax (outdoor track in the UK).
Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
4,54 FDR at halifax (outdoor track in the UK).
Outdoors I'd run between 5,5 and 5,1 depending on the track. 4,5 was on a very specific track an I wouldn't use that anywhere else.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05
KD... nuff said
how does the kd compare to a checkpoint? i have heard alot of good things about all the checkpoint motors, including the 19t. everyone here seems to prefer the checkpoint. you, on the otherhand, are implying that nothing else is as good as the kd-19. i'd like to know why you prefer it over the others.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Seaball, IMHO, the KD is a RPM motor and the Money is a torque motor. I Have have gotten both of them to run close in performance. Overall, on the tracks I have run on recently , I would have to give the edge to the KD. I think the achilles heel to the KD is that it is pretty easy to cook, and after that it gets soft.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Great you asked Seaball

Well simply from my one weekend experience with both motors... geared properly and having two different drivers try either motor it was apparent that the KD was simply faster. Yes the CP look to have more pull but, also stated here, it flattens out. Were as the KD had about 2-3 more car lengths to it before it topped off.

I guess its all application that applies here however if you can gear the car appropriately to the track either one will do however the KD in my opinion will have a larger power band to work with I feel.

Lastly, gearing them improperly, they both will burn up fast and they are touchy with the right gearing. Also, brushes for the KD are easier to come by and are relatively cheaper. Yes, you could last longer with CP however back to the improper gearing that's a big cut in a wallet to take a chance at not only that if you don't notice it at first imagine the damage.

Personally, I have the KD. I've told a fellow pit mate to try the CP and he enjoys it... So my first poser was my choice by ultimately its really personal preference.

GL

And remember to temp it and make sure its around 180 for both motors too cool or hot you're not getting the most out of it.

I believe the KD likes a 6.1 FDR and a CP 5.89. Cheers!
Rudy
Old 06-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
Seaball, IMHO, the KD is a RPM motor and the Money is a torque motor. I Have have gotten both of them to run close in performance. Overall, on the tracks I have run on recently , I would have to give the edge to the KD. I think the achilles heel to the KD is that it is pretty easy to cook, and after that it gets soft.

Second that about cooking... seen it done on both motors... gear it right and temp always...
Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

My vote goes to the Peak Dynasty V2 based 19t motor. I have been running on a very large track (1/8th gas track) and the V2 seems to go very well against others out there (KD, Reedy QM and CP) and I just love the fact that you don't have to do any motor maintainence for about 8-10 runs (with edge enduros). No problems with cooking or overheating them either. (FDR=5.5-5.1)

My 2 cents worth.
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote