R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Default fomoco90;

I've been charging my race packs at 6.5 amps for a while now with no bad side effects yet. My practice pack(s) only get charged at 5 amps (the night before) and the 3300 MiNh packs in my Nitro Starter box get charged at 4 amps.
Start at 5 amps and go up if you need more voltage to keep up. If your batteries seem excessively hot after charging, them lower the threshold slightly.
MATCHED packs can handle the higher amp charge rates, where as NON-matched packs can fail at rates higher than 4-5 amps. Not passed along info from xzy website, but my actual experiences from the last few years of racing. Take it all in, experiment, and use what works best for you. Most of all, go have fun.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:10 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Default yhx

popsracer, you mention it yourself "have fun" yhay's what I'm having, when I finished a day's racibg I feel exhausted, yet statisfied an oh so happy. But everytime I stand behind the wheel I feel the urge come up to be on the front.
But I'll take advantage o' all your tips, was getting worried,for as the QP tells you how much it charged into the packs, one time it would be "only" 1100mAh on 1 pack and on another 1950mAh, could this be normal or does this mean a cell is "kaputt"? I only have 2000's, some 2400's. How can I check it?
fomoco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:27 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Default kaputt"?

fomoco90;

I didn't see any mention if your packs were "Matched" or not. Un-matched packs tend to have lower quality cells and your pack is only as good as the weakest cell. Make sure you are discharging down to 0.9 volts per cell each time, the Quasar will do this for you in discharge mode.
As for checking individual cells, you must disassemble the pack and cycle each battery seperately to troubleshoot a bad cell. I had some 2400 "Peak" Max-Packs that had some cells that would only hold 900 mah.
With a discharged and cooled pack you should be able to get the rated Mah when you charge it back up. If it is considerably less, then I would suspect 1 or more bad cells in that pack.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:24 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Default forgot

they are all matched by Pro match, bought them second hand.
Were "sleeping" for quite a while. because one pack has 6 runs on it and it keeps geeting better in comparison with the other pack who only have 2-3 runs and are performing quite less, so I have good hopes!!
You must be a walking library when it comes to racing, or am I wrong.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:57 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Default walking library

fomoco90;

Far from it. But I do enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience with others in the hope that they can avoid the pitfalls that I went through. Believe me I've been through my share of battery packs mostly from going the cheapo route.
Try Cycling your packs on the Quasar just set the delay to 60 minutes after discharging to give the packs time to cool down. This should help bring around those LAZY packs. A discharge/equalizer tray can help too if your batts are assembled side x side.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:43 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Default hey pops, fhubbard and the rest

Thanks on the tips guys, charging wen tvery well on the race day, packs were sufficient charged and they flew, whow what a difference compared with my old charger, you know, that kind with one knob and one button on it,

Used 72mV, cause 120mV was getting too hot for them and charging at 6.5amps, forgot the third thing (cuttoff?? dunno) too cold to go to the basement.
Thanks guys for the help
Miguel/fomoco90
Old 02-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Default another q

Can I have all your attention, this IS a great charger, does NOt need a power supply, yes it is loud, don't mind, BUT..... you barely can read the display, any helps?
Have read that integy has somewhat the same display, is this true, except that Integy's is backlit, so if they are compatible I might screw in- or screw up - the display from INtegy??
Hope the hear!!