R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Lester24

Default Anybody use McMaster.com diamond lathe bits??? any good?

Just ordered a hudy tech lathe and a case for it. Still have not yet found a deal on a diamond bit yet. I was wondering if any of you have used the McMaster.com diamond bits??? I hate to spend 99 for a Hudy bit if I don't have too. I'm gonna be cutting alot of motors so carbide is out of the question. If any of you guys have a place where you like to get your diamond bits for a good price, please let me know. I have checked carter diamond, they want $79, most places want $99 for the Hudy and McMaster wants $62.30, I am not sure which bit model to go with if I go with McMaster.

Thanks,

Lester
Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
MSB
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to MSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester24
Just ordered a hudy tech lathe and a case for it. Still have not yet found a deal on a diamond bit yet. I was wondering if any of you have used the McMaster.com diamond bits??? I hate to spend 99 for a Hudy bit if I don't have too. I'm gonna be cutting alot of motors so carbide is out of the question. If any of you guys have a place where you like to get your diamond bits for a good price, please let me know. I have checked carter diamond, they want $79, most places want $99 for the Hudy and McMaster wants $62.30, I am not sure which bit model to go with if I go with McMaster.

Thanks,

Lester
The McMaster reference for the Diamond Bit is: Diamond Poly Bit AL4.

I mounted one this week in a Team Cobra 2000 Pro Com, but I think the hudy diamond bit works better in the Hudy Com Lathe that I have too.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you can't afford the Hudy, then get the Carter diamond bit. br00d has them in stock up near you in Arlington. That's what I used in my Cobra and it worked really well.

If you ask me, putting anything other then a Hudy diamond in your Hudy lathe is like buying a Ferrari and putting 87 in the tank.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Most companies buy there bits from mc master or carter or
any other tool place.. 99% of the diamond bits originate from the same factory.. There is actually very few places that can work with diamond bits like that..

As long as you get the right bit, some are opposite others thell work.. And as long as it is sharp, it will cut like any other bit..

Last edited by burbs; 06-26-2006 at 05:03 PM.
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Anyone know what bit a Xipp / Integy Late would need?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

carter bits are the best i have seen.they produce excelent bits and they have a incredibly sharp edge.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
carter bits are the best i have seen.they produce excelent bits and they have a incredibly sharp edge.
Agreed, Fantom Lathes come with and recommend the Carter bits.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There ya go, straight from Mr. BMI! Carter bits are pretty dialed. I just put a new one on my lathe, I'm really happy with it.

-Korey
Old 06-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
Lester24

Thanks for the advice, I have had carter relap a few diamonds for me years ago and they came back sharper than heck and cut really well. The only thing about the carter bit, is that it looks so drastically different than the hudy bit, I've cut a ton of motors in my day, but just really don't know enough about machining to know the difference. What is the difference between a regular bit and a diamond poly like MCmaster carries??

Lester
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester24
Just ordered a hudy tech lathe and a case for it.....
A bit off subject but I ordered the Tech lathe and ordered a hudy case for mine too...I didn't realize that the lathe came with a case. Just an FYI so you don't end up with two cases.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Can't say anything about the McMaster bits, but i'm on my 6th year with my carter bit.

I cut A LOT of comms and this thing still works great.

Tim
Old 06-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Lester24

Thanks for the advice guys. And hey the extra case thing is a good point too, fortunatly I found that out when my cousin Jim ordered one from stormer, he got an extra case also. One thing I've found out from all my shopping is that the lathe does come with the free case sometimes and sometimes not. www.Speedtechrc.com has the best price i've seen on the tech lathe at $184.99, but they were out of them and the owner said that he had some coming in next week, that he didn't know whether or not they would come with the free case again. So I called stormer and asked if they could get a little closer to Speedtech's price. The deal I got from stormer was, $199 + $6 shipping, he said it came with the free case and would ship today, so I figured that was a pretty good deal. Then like 3 days later I came across a buy it now for $165 on ebay for an Executive lathe, diamond bit and case with $5 shipping. Figures that would be my luck. Good deal for someone.

Do you happen to know which # carter bit you have???

Thanks,

Lester
Old 06-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
Lester24

Got an email from Hankster from Hobbytalk, he says that the MCMaster ones are really good also. The one I need is style AL4, I believe and its $62.30 still, just found out a local shop here, Team Brood carries the carter bits for $79.50, so that might be a good way to go also. They aren't to far away and have them in stock. Brood also has good deals on brushes if you buy them in bulk.

Lester
Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I use the Mcmaster Carr bit. Works great. Had it in for 2 years now.
Mach10_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
TEM
Tech Regular

That "case" that comes with the hudy lathes are more like a "dust cover" when it comes to protecting the lathe. Expect some damage to your lathe if you ever dropped it. Consider getting yourself something more robust if you carry your lathe around often.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote