R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt
It looks a bit over done to me. What with the raised up portions of the Chassis? All you need is flat sheet a graphite. As someone already said, AE 10L3 is perfect.

Snowy.
I think the chassis is like that because they went with a plastic semi-tub design instead of CF sheet for cost reasons. It's much cheaper to injection mold plastic than it is to mill CF.

I think it would make an excellent parking lot car due to the fact that it isn't CF. It so kills me when I put a gouge in one of my CF cars.

So now tamiya and Academy are putting out D drive cars, think we may be heading back to the basics?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

vtl, have you ever run that 10l3t on asphalt? is it imposible to drive or is it pointless? do y9ou just run it on carpet?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc
vtl, have you ever run that 10l3t on asphalt? is it imposible to drive or is it pointless? do y9ou just run it on carpet?
Why would it be impossible to run on asphalt? It should feature a lower center of gravity. A 2wd car will out handle a 4wd car. If the tires have come along far enough that traction is not a concern in a 1/10th scale pan car then it should be wicked fast. The reason 4wd touring cars have become the norm is because they can out accel a 2wd car. I'm sure that on a surface similar to that of this years snow birds a 2wd tc could push a 4wd tc to the absolute limits. The tamiya new tamiya is very fast on asphalt. If your worried about the chasis getting beaten up then pick up a chasis protectant sheet.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc
I'll occasionally take it out with me when I go bashing in the street or parking lot. Impossible to drive; No, does it take more finesse than point and shoot like a TC, yes.... We don't have any asphault racing here at all, all of our on road is carpet so all my cars are set up for carpet with the exception of my old TC3 and Yok SD which have become strictly parking lot cars.... I find DD's to be a lot more fun than a TC. I guess it's all in the simplicity of how they work and they work well.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #20
Tech Elite

thanks vlt. party the snowbirds are carpet, which most of america does not have access to. i am looking for an inexpensive and fun 2wd experience for a parkinglot asphalt track that we run on. we have a run what ya brung class and this looks fun and cheap... i wonder if 2wd on rubber touring tires is better than 2wd on foams like the 10l3t?

Old 06-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
Tech Elite

There's a pan car discussion going on in the Oval/Large scal forums here. Talk to them I know there's a bunch of guys running them on asphault.

Ruber is probably the better choice on asphault. I was trying to enlarge the pictures of the academy car to check out how the wheels were mounted, I was wondering if they'd fit on an associated style rear end. You used to be able to get rubber tires, I'm sure if there was a market again they'd make them again. I have a set of rubber capped tires I just haven't have the time to run them.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #22
Tech Regular

COMING SOON

cant wait to play with this machine...

feedback coming soon
PerformanceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
COMING SOON

cant wait to play with this machine...

feedback coming soon
Definitely keep us updated, I'm curious to hear how this handles and see better pictures...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #24
Tech Elite

i'm eager to hear also. i'd love to run a second class but it would have to be cheap to buy and run... the associated 10l3t looked good, but it is discontinued... i guess all i really ned is the chassis and everything just about can be fabbed or from another one of their cars...

Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Ae released a kit version of a touring pan car (with foam tires), it didn't sell. 1/12th pan car started out on asphalt, and 1/8th on-road started out on asphalt before 1/12th, both using foam tires. Foam tires are faster in almost every application. And pan cars are so much faster than touring car - same batteries, same motors, less drivetrain drag, 1/2 the weight....do the math.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Bring back 1/10th gtp pan cars with foams.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

When F103GT released.....I think that is the best idea for the TC...and TC suppose to be like that, however, reality check....rubber tires, TC body (not using the typical lola high downforce type).....mod motors (7-10T, your choice)....typical parking lot club racing with soda spray (not the Tamiya track type of condition like the REEDY race)...........I really doubt these D-drive can outrun 4WD TC........I really think they will have a tough time for handling. Simply because it is 2WD.....no way they can handling better then 4WD with the extra motor power......May be letting them running Nitro Foams tires....that might be a solution, might be.

Then....stock or 19T D-drive, I think that might have a chance to outrun typical 4WD TC with the same type of motor.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
When F103GT released.....I think that is the best idea for the TC...and TC suppose to be like that, however, reality check....rubber tires, TC body (not using the typical lola high downforce type).....mod motors (7-10T, your choice)....typical parking lot club racing with soda spray (not the Tamiya track type of condition like the REEDY race)...........I really doubt these D-drive can outrun 4WD TC........I really think they will have a tough time for handling. Simply because it is 2WD.....no way they can handling better then 4WD with the extra motor power......May be letting them running Nitro Foams tires....that might be a solution, might be.

Then....stock or 19T D-drive, I think that might have a chance to outrun typical 4WD TC with the same type of motor.
I guarantee you that my RC10L3T with a 19 turn spec motor will keep up with your 7 turn TC if not pass it.... There is no need to run a low wind motor in a pan car unless you are looking for balistic speeds...
Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #29
Tech Elite

vtl, you think that that will be the case on an unprepped parkinglot with rubbers too, or just carpet? i just wish i could find one for sale...

Old 06-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #30
Tech Elite

also, does anybody know what i'd need to convert a regular 10l to narrow for touring bodies? is the pod the same or narrower? front end? i guess i can look some of this up, but was curious if anybody knew it off-hand. thanks