R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #76
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Team Academy Send a message via MSN to Team Academy Send a message via Yahoo to Team Academy

Hello Steve, I have actually heard of the beat the heat race. Isn't this like their 3rd or 4th year?? I know it was last year also. I heard some drivers talking about it recently.

So how ya like your rdx? Is racing good there in the OK area? I am only like a few hours in my books from OK. its just right on the other side of KS or Joplin for me.

I will let you know when I make a trip. Have ya raced there yet? heard some good things but heard bad about the hours they keep. i am being open minded when I go as I stay out of politics, even with other sponsored drivers. Its best taht way I think...

Will ya drop ,me a email so I can keep ya posted? Thanks and If ya need anything my way in MO, as usual? I'll try to help!

Team Academy / MRC / Team1rc.com
B"
Team Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #77
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Team Academy Send a message via MSN to Team Academy Send a message via Yahoo to Team Academy

OK, sorry about that Heavy, I didnt realize it didnt upload, what the heck!

Anyhow, we'll try it once more.........

B"
Attached Thumbnails
ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-100_0333.jpg  
Old 07-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Academy
Hello Steve, I have actually heard of the beat the heat race. Isn't this like their 3rd or 4th year?? I know it was last year also. I heard some drivers talking about it recently.

So how ya like your rdx? Is racing good there in the OK area? I am only like a few hours in my books from OK. its just right on the other side of KS or Joplin for me.

I will let you know when I make a trip. Have ya raced there yet? heard some good things but heard bad about the hours they keep. i am being open minded when I go as I stay out of politics, even with other sponsored drivers. Its best taht way I think...

Will ya drop ,me a email so I can keep ya posted? Thanks and If ya need anything my way in MO, as usual? I'll try to help!

B"
I like the rdx arms are a little brittle,we do have some good racing this fall i expect the carpet will really pick up,Kyle skidmore runs here time to time expect quite a bit when carpet season gets closer,we have a good grour of guys here local,but on Beat the heat great race good competition,nice track and well run,i will pm you my email.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #79
Tech Apprentice

Hey Heavy, so what did ya end up running as for gearing? low spur huh? for that track? or did ya actually need more?

I also got back today from running new rubber tires. WOW! what a big change it made. I no longer have to worry about tire wear or trueing up wheels! Anyhow, running the cs 27 and cs 32. Both had great results. I think I am leaning to the 32 at ht elocal track and out on others prob do the 27 else where. We'll have to see.

The sway bars?? Wow another great asset to this car. Really helped in making it even faster in the conrers! I also slotted my rear wing for adjustability as well. I played with it as well and it to! made some fine tuning possible. It seems the more I play with the car the faster it gets and today lap times showed it. It was rather fun using the amb today. Didnt stay long but it was a enjoyable time. The car is much faster than I actually expected. About .25 plus than a xray that was there and a bit more than a local driver with a really fast or looked TRF. That TRF car was truely light!!!! I couldn't beleive it! This is another reason why I am shaving a little weight off the car if possible. If I can get this on a xray or TRF by the stock weight, what would be my gain or seconds picked up with this car even lighter!!! It will be hard however but anything is possible.

Heres the way and length of the upper rods positions I have now set. I went back to off the chassis and into the shock towers. It worked on the chassis nicely but? didn t like the posistion with the rubber tires however. Foams it worked nicely!

Attached Thumbnails
ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-100_0332.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-100_0334.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-100_0336.jpg  
Old 07-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #80
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Academy
OK, sorry about that Heavy, I didnt realize it didnt upload, what the heck!

Anyhow, we'll try it once more.........

B"

That looks good - I'll try that.

I don't have any option springs or roll bars yet but will get them soon.

I am running my rear body mounts of teh front of the rear tower because on a MAzda 6 bodyshell the standard mounts come under the wing and reverse makes it easier to get your body off. I am running a 78t spur which means for stock or 19t I can get teh ratios I want for alll teh tracks I race at. It's a very good car for easily getting ratios and changing pinions - very easy.
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #81
Tech Apprentice

Yeah Heavy I to was going to run the body post the same way but for some reason?? after 25hour build up and polishing everythign for smoothness, I left them the stock way. I do agree with you it does make it easy to get to with the post out more. That mazda rocks though huh?? I also like the alfa but today I ran my MG zs body.. I get so many looks form that body as noone knows whta the heck it is! It looks almost like a mazda m6 but a little dif in the rear to me. Basically the same however but heavier than my .030 parmas or light weight protos.

Did ya go with some heavier oil? and springs?? I wish I could have helped a bit more for that carpet surface you ran. I am only familar with ozite and know that it is a different surface and grip. With our tracks here they are all really smooth. I would think like the old micro rcp matting square tracks it would have a little bounce here and there do to connection of squares. I used to hate that!

As for the sway bar? You'll be hooked if ya had any questions or reserve abut the corners and roll. This will totally or well almost eliminate that prob. I am calling Academy on monday and grabbing the actual sway bars for the car. I am hoping it is a 3 set however, like tamiya, If not? then I will continue using them as I now have 2 more tension sway bar sets to use if need be.

Well let me know when ya get those motors and if ya need anything on this side, let me know, I am dropping some mags also off to Ed soon. Who knows, a magazine fourm swap??<LOL>...

Congrats again Heavy,,,,,,
Old 07-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Theres some pics from the ACT Titles here> http://www.actmcrc.org.au/Images/2006_titles/page1.htm
I scored a trophy for 5th in 540 Pro after building a kit at the track(was hectic).
I had the issues with running in the front oneway slipper as it seemed to lose bite quickly, maybe because i was testing it to run mod class, took me till the finals to get the car working for me(still more to get out of it), seemed i was pretty much driving 2wd for the qualifiers.
Adam (had his car hooked up real well)was using Xray springs low profile foams(he was the only person to have his motor pulled down and checked in scrutineering) and i was using aftermarket Eureka springs, i ended up gettin rid of the foams for sorex rubbers.had the speed on them through the infeild but lacked it on the straight, old crappy abused 540 black borrowed from a freind, the motors i was waitin on didnt turn up .
There was a junior female(i spent the weekend babysitting) driving a STR4 in her first racemeet who did well and had a great time.
The STR4 rocks once sorted.It pissed of quite a few Xray drivers(they all bagged the car out at the beginning of the meet) ....1st Team Xray 2nd Team Academy 3rd Xray 4th Xray 5th Xray 6th Cyclone
mm if i can find the right usb adapter for the camera i will upload some pics
PerformanceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #83
Tech Apprentice

DUDE! You had to be frustrated putting together a kit?? WOW! I am telling ya, not sure how your carpet is traction wise, but the associated spring or the hpi springs do rock. I chose to run and have the car setup with a drift motion due to my driving with out or very little break. I could only imagine it setup like a 2wheel drive car. THis is why again i have that hole setup for the front one way, It doesnt have to be loose and slip like a normal dif, just enough on take off. The car if you have it set up just a little to tight, it will pull. If you have it set to loose it will bite way to much. Its just that perfect in between that we all strive for. This little hole will allow you to do such adjustments. Atleast for me...everyone drives with different style and needs.

As for rubber tires? OH MY GOSH! what a freaking difference it made in speed for me today. I ran the cs 27 and also the 32 on the track, BIG DIFFERENCE than foams. I love the feal like you are used to it seems to low profile foams. This is what I set the car up with at first until this past week I sold all my sets of foams and now running cs ( take offs ). I may grab a few higher and possible cs 35 and see what happens. I havent had any probs with the straights. Once again this is another reason why I run my cars somewhat stiff to get more speed. Could it been the gear combo??? My motors like this 27?? loved the 76 ( 48 pitch ) I ran today. Funny I was just running the 19t with a 98 ( 64 pitch ) today as well also with the 27 today also. I just had to drop pinions. Results a bit faster in the straights but slower in the infield however where needed. These Team1rc.com motors really seem to have some serious rpm down the straight and with small spur?? nice torque. I went up in spur gearing due to Brian had suggested it. It actually worked as we set up the track with a 80 foot straight! Very nice. Motor did get quite a bit hotter, not good. I think I am sticking with that 96 for stock and the 98 for 19t and mess with pinions more to see what happens. Like this little 27 they sent out!!! but??? Missed the 19 t torque however!<LOL><LOL>......

Anyhow, congrats on the 5th place bro! way sweet~ and thats nice you helped one of the young guns out. I do the same at races and sometime to a degree i mess myself up with lack of time for my own car!!!

Well got to run, doing the Barbi thing, BBQ that is.

OH! and one last thing, still hadnt heard a thing back about the site from Academy.........Ya know?? I still say, what are we doing wrong? Nothing I see it. I am getting myself involved as well promoting and thinking of something to drop on there for ya all as a articel or setups. If nothing else?? Its great PR ( public relations ) for academy and other drivers to get setups and advice!!! Just like here!

B"
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #84
Tech Apprentice

Hye, anyone want to buy a car cheap!!! Getting ready to toss it on ebay!

Attached Thumbnails
ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-100_3822.jpg  
Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #85
Tech Regular

What are you tossing on ebay? How much?

Heres some pics from the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-act-titles_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-teamacademyadam2_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-teamacademyed_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-teamacademyadam_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-teamacademyrob_.jpg  

Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #86
Tech Regular

some more pics...that stratus shell of mine has been around for a looong time
Attached Thumbnails
ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-acttitles17_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-acttitles16_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-acttitles11_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-teamacademyadam3_.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-teamacademy2_.jpg  

Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #87
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So is "Performace RC" or "Team Academy" selling there Pro2 on E-bay. Just curious, from the posts it looks like you both have the same body. Please explain. I might be interested in buying this but havent seen it go up on e-bay yet. Thanx
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #88
Tech Apprentice

Hey PerformanceRC???? Is that my car I have listed on ebay?? Our bodies look the same???? WAIT!! is that your car or mine???<LOL><LOL>...

Na, I was just playing with ya PerformanceRC, I grabbed your car off the site and thought it would be funny to see if anyone wanted to buy it<LOL>...Looks like Dave is a taker,

Sorry Dave, we were having some fun with PerformanceRC<LOL>....

If ya need one however, let me know Dave and what ya want to spend. I would love to get some more cars out there.... I'll send ya one your way no probs bro!!!!

B"
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #89
Tech Apprentice

I wanna race there!!!! That track actually looks pretty fun and fast! Our tracks here are pretty tech style tracks. These are some really old picts however. I'll grab some new pics when I go over there or pull some off my video practicing dvd I recorded. The track now is very much a tech style track. They have redone the entire track since these pics. Their also getting ready to open the outside track as well. A whopping 120ft x 40 asphalt track. Very nice!! I guess this could be called our local playground for us here. Plenty more tracks around as well. All ozite carpeting from CRC in NY.

B'
Attached Thumbnails
ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-picture-180.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-picture-178.jpg   ACADEMY STR4 PRO2-picture-177.jpg  
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #90
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh, Gotcha. Its ok I have my own, I was just curious to why you were selling it...Nevermind then.
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote