R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1
Default Which dyno?

I want to purchase a dyno. Something like the Integy v2, Trinity Motor dyno , Much more motor master, etc. I want something I can gauge my motors with. I used to have a APS Dyna charge that had one built in. I regretably sold it. I want something similar. Can someone give me their thoughts on which ones they like from personal experiences?
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
I want to purchase a dyno. Something like the Integy v2, Trinity Motor dyno , Much more motor master, etc. I want something I can gauge my motors with. I used to have a APS Dyna charge that had one built in. I regretably sold it. I want something similar. Can someone give me their thoughts on which ones they like from personal experiences?
None of those are really dynos. They can help weed out some really bad motors, but since they don't place a load on the motors, the numbers are pretty useless. The best dyno is the cheapest: the track. I don't know why more people don't realize this instead of spending hundreds of dollars on equipment that won't give them nearly as much information. Even the best dyno (CE and Robitronic) can't tell you laptimes
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tru nothing beats the track. But a cheap non-dyno can be usefull. For maintaining motors and weeding out dogs. I love my APS and use it to monitor the performance of my motors. IF the motor was rocking on the track ill run it on the aps and note its info. ill use that info to descide when to cut/rebuild my motors..

Unless u got access to dozens and dozens of motors those tru dynos are way over priced for what u get back in data... that in the end doesnt replace driving the motor on the track
Old 06-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
I don't know why more people don't realize this instead of spending hundreds of dollars on equipment that won't give them nearly as much information.
nobody asked to get a comparison between a dyno and track performance. at some big races, you don't get a chance to run all your handouts AND test setup changes, so guess what... a dyno comes in very handy. when you know how to read a dyno, it is an extremely useful tool. we use the robi, and it never steers us wrong. after dropping thousands of dollars in a year to hit all the big races, is it really useless to spend ~$600 more to get an instrument that will tell you which motor will/won't allow you to tq without throwing away a run or more?

now the "dynos" listed in the original post, are more run-in machines. these don't tell you much about a motor. you can figure out if your brushes are good/seated by looking at the current draw and comparing it its value to a value when the motor built up well, but you can't really compare motors too well.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HOLD on maybe we should find out if he is a club racer or a career racer. I guess that would allow us to suggest what tools may suite him..

If your just club racing the no-load dynos should be fine, if you got the coin and like to fill your pit table up and impress fellow club racers, or want to kill the local guys at any cost spend away.

Of course if he is the next Hara and is dropping 4weeks vacation to travel to all the major events ya spring for the FANTOM,ROBI,ect dont be cheap! LOL
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

I am a club racer. Like I said I loved the feature on my APS dyna charge and found it useful. I know they're not real dynos. I did feel however that they helped figure brush/spring combos, timing etc. When the numbers fell off you knew when to freshen a motor up.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I go to a lot of national level races and use my MM motor master all the time,it tells you RPM's which help in gearing and Amp draw which helps with condition of the motor,from there I use my Orion LCS to see lap times on the track,this is a really good combination and helps keep from having to lug a big dyno around all the time.Back home I use a TD45 to build my motors with,but it stays at the house.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayFK
The best dyno is the cheapest: the track. I don't know why more people don't realize this instead of spending hundreds of dollars on equipment that won't give them nearly as much information. Even the best dyno (CE and Robitronic) can't tell you laptimes
I dont know why people keep saying this. IMHO there is far too many variables to track testing specifically when you're looking for your fastest motor. Different batteries, traffic, temperature and hence grip changes, driver brain fade etc etc. All these can have an effect on laptimes and could cause you to turf an otherwise killer motor.

The idea SHOULD be to test the motors in a consistant environment, like a real motor dyno (robi/fantom/CE). It doesnt matter if the dyno results are consistent with other dynos of other brands, so long as the dynos results are consistent run to run with itself.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

That's all very true that's why I keep data on everything, each motor,battery,and set up and compare it all to lap times for every run I make,practice or race.Notice I said "I" You can only compare to the things your doing not anyone else,that throws wayyyy to many variables into the equation.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Default Dyno's

The dyno is just a tool, thatís it! Some are better than others.
You can say "the track is my dyno" and offers the best results. However, a good dyno offers the operator information. If it's consistent and susceptible to tuning adjustments then you have something. Keep in mind it's just a tool and a good tool has value.
tdu verney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
So to answer your question, I think the Much More Motor Master is the best in the rpm checker category of "dynos". I just like it because it is relatively easy to use and has pulse break in. However, I don't think it's going to tell you much compared to a real dyno.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0rtex
I dont know why people keep saying this. IMHO there is far too many variables to track testing specifically when you're looking for your fastest motor. Different batteries, traffic, temperature and hence grip changes, driver brain fade etc etc. All these can have an effect on laptimes and could cause you to turf an otherwise killer motor.

The idea SHOULD be to test the motors in a consistant environment, like a real motor dyno (robi/fantom/CE). It doesnt matter if the dyno results are consistent with other dynos of other brands, so long as the dynos results are consistent run to run with itself.
However the dynos he is looking at do not provide the "real" information he wants. Also, it doesn't matter what your dyno says about your motor or what your batteries' labels say, if you can't be faster on the track. We race cars, not dynos.
Again, I'm not saying that a dyno such as the Robi or CE isn't a great tool, they are. But, people have to remember that you still have to be able to drive the car. Maybe at the least a cheaper dyno will give you a mental advantage.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Only four Dyno's I know exist that can be had:

CE
Robi
Fantom
CS

Track is not a dyno. Motor master, APS and Indi V2 are also not a dyno. No if's, no but's and that is it. Hope that answers the original question.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Peak performance

I like my red Peak performance Dyno. I use it all the time to power my Comm Lathe and break my motors in. Oh yeah, I also use the dyno when I want to bench test a batch of motors before I tear them down. I can at least get an idea which motor has the best behavior. When I dyno my 19T Checkpoint motors, one will read 37,000 rpms, the other 34,000 rpms and the 3rd one at 31,000 rpms all pulling around 6.5 amps. Believe it or not, on the track, the one that read 37,000 rpms turned faster laps at SoCal than the Checkpoint that read 31,000 rpms.

RC America/ X-ray/ SRG www.superradgraphics.com/ Hudy/ R1wurks/ TeamBocaBearings
GTRtuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
Only four Dyno's I know exist that can be had:

CE
Robi
Fantom
CS

Track is not a dyno. Motor master, APS and Indi V2 are also not a dyno. No if's, no but's and that is it. Hope that answers the original question.
Indeed, also note that the Fantom, Robitronic and CS are flywheel dynos. Different from the CE.

Last edited by XrayFK; 06-21-2006 at 11:13 PM.