R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe
Default MuchMore Motor Cooler not coolin?

Ive had this problem with the Motor Cooler for some time. Basically Im finding that my Much More Motor Cooler isnt getting very cold. Ive tried putting some thermal CPU compound in it and tightening the screws on the unit. Yesterday it was a pretty warm day at about 95 degrees and I was hoping to get my motor cold by using the cooler. However my motor only cooled to about 70 degrees F. Should I try sending this in..or is this as cold as it gets?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunately the Much More unit is not that effective, especially in hot temperatures.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Thats what I was afraid of. Maybe somone from Much More can comment.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
tel
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Much More motor cooler use a Peltier device to cool the motor. A Peltier device is just a bunch of P/N junctions in series that provide a cooling effect due to current flowing through the junctions. The Pelier "cold" side heat is transferred to the "hot" side along with the heat generated by the current flowing through the device. The heatsink and fan need to remove the heat from the Peltier process and the heat generated by the current flowing through the device. At best the Peltier can cool the device around 40 degrees F below ambient air temperature. This is not an absolute as there are other factors and sources of heat. Here are the things you can do to improve the cooling effect:

1 - get device and car out of the sun, this is adding heat to the whole system
2 - increase the current flow of the Peltier device by increasing the input voltage. DO NOT go over the recommended input voltage as it could cause damage.
3 - change the fan to a higher CFM rating to improve the heat dissapation. Any computer supply store can help you out, the fan is likely a 60mm (I don't have one so can't say for sure).
4 - There is a slim change you got a dud product but try the other things first as RMA's to any company are painful.

A Peltier device should last for years it is not allowed to dramatically overheat (run at greater than spec'd input voltage/current or not given adequate cooling). Good luck.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tel
The Much More motor cooler use a Peltier device to cool the motor. A Peltier device is just a bunch of P/N junctions in series that provide a cooling effect due to current flowing through the junctions. The Pelier "cold" side heat is transferred to the "hot" side along with the heat generated by the current flowing through the device. The heatsink and fan need to remove the heat from the Peltier process and the heat generated by the current flowing through the device. At best the Peltier can cool the device around 40 degrees F below ambient air temperature. This is not an absolute as there are other factors and sources of heat. Here are the things you can do to improve the cooling effect:

1 - get device and car out of the sun, this is adding heat to the whole system
2 - increase the current flow of the Peltier device by increasing the input voltage. DO NOT go over the recommended input voltage as it could cause damage.
3 - change the fan to a higher CFM rating to improve the heat dissapation. Any computer supply store can help you out, the fan is likely a 60mm (I don't have one so can't say for sure).
4 - There is a slim change you got a dud product but try the other things first as RMA's to any company are painful.

A Peltier device should last for years it is not allowed to dramatically overheat (run at greater than spec'd input voltage/current or not given adequate cooling). Good luck.
1. Yes, getting the unit / car out of direct sunlight will help with the cooling process.
2. This can be done, but if the unit is damaged due to excessive current, it will not be covered under warranty
3. This will void your warranty - not recommended
4. There could be a slim chance that the unit is defective. If you feel the unit is defective, contact the shop where you purchased, and make arrangements to have the unit returned to Much More.

The motor coolers will not "ice" your motor on a real hot day, it is just not possible, especially with high humidity. The coolers are designed to reduce the ambient temperature of the motor, 20 to 40 degrees F.

I just raced this past week in 90+ F weather, and my cooler was able to lower the temp. of the motors (around 50 degree F), but not nearly as cold as it gets during carpet season or semi-warm day outside.

Also, do not leave the cooler running the entire time while at the track. Only hook up to a power source while cooling the motor.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I do run it in the shade..however the heat and humidity was fairly high. I think my cooler is running alittle poorly but from the figuers Im hearing hear it really isnt that far off from what I should be expecting on a hot day like that. I imagine it would be more effective during the winter indoor season for obvious reasons. I was just hoping ot would get frosty even in the outdoor extremes.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Tech Addict

get a cooler from crazy ronny... they rock!!!

http://www.crazyrcracing.com/
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have heard this complaint from a lot of customers who bought the Much More cooler...Try running your motor cooler off of a 'dedicated' power supply (ie, a power supply that ISN'T also running a charger, motor lathe, toaster, etc) and see if that helps. And if that doesn't help then I recommend one of the Crazy RC brand coolers...better construction, thicker copper plate/clamp.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Tech Adept

You can't expect much from any peltier motor cooler on a hot summer day. In my experience with a homemade dual pelt cooler, you also need to have the cooler on the motor for a relatively long time; 45 mins to an hour to get any significant results.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
Tech Adept

i run mine off a muchmore power supply, and i have never seen it get so cold that there's a build up of ice and i race in doors, ive tried to leave it on for 45 min and still no ice, it does get cold but nothing like the pics ive seen, ive also heard that if you change the aligator clips to banana plugs that helps, i did never saw a differance. I think all muchmore products are really good other than the motor cooler, but it does look cool!
sukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Tech Adept

I guess I should mention that I bought my home built cooler from nordheim here on RCTECH - http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109750

The unit is very well built and I can verify that indoors, the cooler does get frosty just like the pic.

RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Someone else posted this tip a while back. (with the motor cooler off, obviously) Loosen the 4 screws holding the cooler together and position the cooler with the fan grill facing down. Then, push down on the center of the motor clamp with your thumb and re-tighten the 4 screws.

This will place more pressure on the peltier and make it cool better. Here is a pic of my motor cooler when I left it on after the mains at this year's Reedy Race:
Attached Thumbnails
MuchMore Motor Cooler not coolin?-img_0709-small-.jpg  
Old 06-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Ill try that Nexus..that definatly looks cold enough from the pictures. Again thank you all for the outstanding response on this post.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Cool

I added Thermal Compound to it and the performance improved.
But at 25-30 degr. C it won't freeze. But you may not expect that
Watch out with Thermal Compound it is toxic!

Last edited by Joep; 06-19-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Joep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

That looks easy to make. Does anyone know of a cheap place (besides ebay) to grab a 12v Peltier module?
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote