R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-18-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite
Default AMBrc Problem...

Over the last few weeks 3/4 of our transponders have stopped working, no matter how long you charge them for. Once charging stops they blink green a few times then red once or twice if they are lucky before they die all together.

Our club has had this particular system for about 2 years now I was told as our original set died and was replaced with the set we have now. They are used twice a month, if for some reason usage makes any difference.

Is there anything I can try to do to resurrect the dead transponders, or can they be repaired or are they worth repairing?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send them back to AMB to get repaired/replaced.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AMB transponders have been known to have the batteries die, sounds like what it is. Contact AMB, they will replace the batteries, if that's what it is. Don't remember the exact price though.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Swap the batteries or make everybody go to personal transponders.
Jon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You should be able to send them back for service. You have gone through 2 sets of transponders in 2 years??? I would look into sending the charger back too! I've herd of them going bad but not that fast. I've had my set for over 5 years. If I charge them for 24 hours "most" are still blinking green more than two days later.
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I have a guy in the UK who can replace the batteries in the transponders, should work out cheaper than AMB servicing depending where you are based.

He has done all ours which had the same symptoms as yours, now they last at least 36hrs on a 14hr charge...

PM if your interested...
jakeburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to makytc4

beware that the charge cable for the transponder cradle can sometimes fit in both ways thus discharging it not charging it. we put some paint on ours to make sure we dont again.
makytc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Batteries Plus in Augusta Georgia. Ask for Andrew. He replaces the batteries way cheaper than amb. Most of the time the battery you get from them is of a higher mah also.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:42 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

Thanks for your help and ideas guys. we are based in australia so freighting them to US or UK would be a little pricy. i have since found out about guy over here about 5 hours away that replaces the batteries for half the price amb charge and in 1/10th the lead time them as well as apparently all they do here is send them back to netherlands.

personals are the way to go i agree half our members already have and use them which helped over the last few race meetings that we have had these problems, it would be super if everyone could have one, but we are small club in a country town over here and at the moment the way the clubs going i think it would be more benificial to repair/replace the transponders because of the cost we had in buying the system in the first place.

has anyone had one apart or know how to get them apart without braking them? i can get the batteries myself cheap but wouldnt want to risk damaging the unit.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite
has anyone had one apart or know how to get them apart without braking them? i can get the batteries myself cheap but wouldnt want to risk damaging the unit.
Hi Dynamite, we replace batteries (UK & Europe) I'd suggest you find someone that does battery replacements as it's not easy unless you know exactly what you're doing. You will most likely break the transponder. I would recommend you go to the guy in Australia. We'd happily do any replacements for you, we do have a few guys who send to us from your country.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I don't know how much truth there is, but I was told if you let the transponder set on the loop, it can short the battery. Like I said, I don't know if it's true or not.
BeetleBailey is offline   Reply With Quote