R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Wires!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/118175-wires.html)

Tpg racer 06-17-2006 08:18 AM

Wires!!!

As we all know, in RC racing resistance is a crucial matter.

To lower the amount of resistance, one can get thicker wires with more strands in them. This can range from 12-16 gauge with pure copper in them.

Besides copper wires, is there any other wire that is better than the common copper wire we used in RC racing today???

stiltskin 06-17-2006 08:27 AM

I'm not an electrician, but I have heard that we get better wire than most electricians use in standard business.
A little off topic here but you brought up the size of the wire and resistance. I've heard that the larger wire requires more "soak" which could actually decrease performance. Is the resistance that may be saved equal or greater to the weight difference and soak of the larger wire. I know that this is all very minimal, so my point is, does any of it REALLY matter?

thedudeaturdoor 06-17-2006 08:42 AM

well. don t use tamiya style plugs, they have like 1. something olms of resitance, deans are wayy less, and ill ask my dad about this when i call him tonight, he does Med. Voltage. like running into the gatoraid factory in AZ for example.

Johnathan 06-17-2006 09:14 AM

copper is probably the best, most practicle wire for r/c. though, wire choice has little effect on performance. connector choice has an effect on resistance. get some deans connectorsfor the batteries, and motors. they wont resist power like tamiya connectors do.

i'll do some research and see about resistance of electrician wire, and r/c wire..

thedudeaturdoor 06-17-2006 09:27 AM

gold is the best, i do belive, but whos going to play alll that money for gold wires?

Johnathan 06-17-2006 09:35 AM

Johnathan 06-17-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
gold is the best, i do belive, but whos going to play alll that money for gold wires?

gold does conduct better... but yeah... its expensive... lol :lol: that would add some value to your car! lol :lol:

Grizzbob 06-17-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Johnathan
gold does conduct better... but yeah... its expensive... lol :lol: that would add some value to your car! lol :lol:

Actually no, gold does NOT conduct better than copper, but it's not far off, & it does have FAR superior corrosion protection(& THAT'S why the military likes to use a lot of gold in their electrical connections). The only substance that conducts better than copper is silver, but it's as easy to corrode as copper & is also prohibitively expensive to make into wire(plus, I don't think it's as flexible, so if it were made into wire, it'd be hard for us to use). That's why silver is good for connectors(because it can allow a connector to have as good or even lower resistance as the wire it's installed on)..... :cool:

Iceracer 06-17-2006 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Johnathan
ok, i did some research. i compared electrician wire with our hobby wire. with a 2 1/4 inch sections, i found that BOTH wires had .9 ohms of resistance. that is very little. i dont see why you would want any wire with less resistance, unless you have 10 feet of wire.... or something ccrazy like that.

i also measured two connectors. deans, and tamiya. deans had .6 ohms resistance, while tamiya had 1.5 ohms. LOL! :lol:

now, these are just some quickly gathered facts from my garage, a 500$ electrical meter, 16 awg wires, etc. results will vary if you actually try this at home, this is just to give an idea of resistance in r/c.

Johnathan, did you zero your ohmeter before testing those connectors? Try touching the two leads of the meter together to ensure they read 0 before testing such small resistances. 1.5 ohms sounds like a lot. I think that is a mistaken reading.

Ohms law.

I=E/R

or Current equals voltage divided by resistance

So with a 7.2 volt battery dead shorting into a 1.5 ohm load, you would only get approx 5 amps maximum current flow. With the reading you took of the Dean's connector, you would only get 12 amps flowing thru a dead short with that connector. That reading can't be right. The resistance of the Deans connector would prevent your motor from drawing more than 12 amps. We know a Deans connector can easily flow 30 amps without even getting hot.

I just tested a Deans with a digital meter and find that its less than 0.1 ohm. Can't even get a reading different from touching the two leads together, which is what you need to do before testing low resistance values.

Johnathan 06-17-2006 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Iceracer
Johnathan, did you zero your ohmeter before testing those connectors? Try touching the two leads of the meter together to ensure they read 0 before testing such small resistances. 1.5 ohms sounds like a lot. I think that is a mistaken reading.

Ohms law.

I=E/R

or Current equals voltage divided by resistance

So with a 7.2 volt battery dead shorting into a 1.5 ohm load, you would only get approx 5 amps maximum current flow. With the reading you took of the Dean's connector, you would only get 12 amps flowing thru a dead short with that connector. That reading can't be right. The resistance of the Deans connector would prevent your motor from drawing more than 12 amps. We know a Deans connector can easily flow 30 amps without even getting hot.

I just tested a Deans with a digital meter and find that its less than 0.1 ohm. Can't even get a reading different from touching the two leads together, which is what you need to do before testing low resistance values.

sorry, iwas wrong, just woke up then...

Tpg racer 06-17-2006 11:07 AM

How about using audio wires????

They looks thick and obviously audio systems draw a lot of amp.

Hollowman 06-17-2006 11:09 AM

And what a bout fiber optic kabels ?

Iceracer 06-17-2006 01:00 PM

I think RC motor cables are a little overpriced, but then again its hard to find sources for an alternative. Any multistranded wire of proper gauge should work fine, but we are hard on our wires, handling them often. A fine multistrand with soft, high temperature insulation is just going to last longer and stand up to more abuse. Welders cabling is ideal, but I don't know if they make small enough gauge.

thedudeaturdoor 06-17-2006 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowman

they carry pules from what i understand, and are wayyyy to much for r/c to even be worth it

from what i understand

Speed Demon 06-17-2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowman

Fiber Optic does not carry electric current. :D