R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spare parts to keep on hand for RDX?

I have an RDX, and I blew a bearing (or the previous owner did, not sure).

Aside from the arms, which are thankfully interchangable, I don't have any spare parts.

Can anybody give me a list of what you might keep on hand? I've already ordered a full set of spare bearings from Avid, and I have a case of screws on the way from rcscrewz.

What else do you think it might be good to keep on hand (if you have the part number that would be great. I'll keep this thread updated with suggestions.

The List so far:

http://www.corallyusa.com/specializedrc/bumperz.htm
Specialized RC Corally Bumper System

RDX Ball Bearing Set (www.avidrc.com recommended)
10x15x4mm (2)
12x18x4mm (2)
5x8x2.5mm (2)
5x9x3mm (8)

More common breakage: (in order of common->uncommon breakage)
791094 ASSASSIN Short Wishbone, Molded 75 - X-Hard (4 Pcs)
1232 C4 TORX SCREWS M4X10RH 10 PCS
79115 Inner Hinge Clips & Shims
79110 Inner Hingepins
79161 ASSASSIN Diff Rebuild Kit incl. adjustment screw (1 Pc)
79407 RDX Rear bodypost plate - Graphite
79164 ASSASSIN Thrust Bearing 'CERAMIC' (1 Pc) (worth it...)
791898 Replacement Caps for Driveshafts (4 Pair)
79331 RDX UPPER FRONT BUMPERPLATE

Last edited by Jon3; 06-15-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Jon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Ollie RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3
I have an RDX, and I blew a bearing (or the previous owner did, not sure).

Aside from the arms, which are thankfully interchangable, I don't have any spare parts.

Can anybody give me a list of what you might keep on hand? I've already ordered a full set of spare bearings from Avid, and I have a case of screws on the way from rcscrewz.

What else do you think it might be good to keep on hand (if you have the part number that would be great. I'll keep this thread updated with suggestions.
Hi Jon3,
The best thing you need is the alu steeringblock with bushings and arms 75hard! Thats about it i think!
Ollie RDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Jon3,

Grab the ultimate bumper system from Specialized R/C if you don't have it already.

http://www.corallyusa.com/specializedrc/bumperz.htm

You can get bearings for $1/each here:
5x9x3 = http://www.avidrc.com/?action=item&id=32
10x15x4 = http://www.avidrc.com/?action=item&id=24

Edit: Oops, looks like you already know about Avid.

I just toss the old bearings when they get gritty now. At $1 each, there's no reason to mess with them for more than a few minutes at most.

Make sure you've got some spare arms, they do tend to break pretty easily. You can buy them in packages of 4 for the best deal. Also, I'd have an extra shock tower on hand, and possibly the top bumper plate if you've hit things with the front a lot. It also doesn't hurt to have some extra shock parts. I've broken the shock ball end (down at the bottom where it screws into the arm) a couple of times. Extra ballcups are nice to have too.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Oi!

RDX spares... first, break into your nearest ATM machine and steal all of the money in there.

A-arms and steering knuckles (if you go to the aluminum knuckles, you will break or bend other items instead, like C-hubs, arms and hinge pins) are the big ones. I went through a lot of front CVDs, too, before I bought the Specialized RC Kydex sub bumper with the P-dub high density bumper. Oh yeah, and the 75% arms are VERY HARD and break EASIER, so if you want to spend less on arms, go with the 50% or even softer.

Also, if you race on carpeting with wood boards, I noticed that a dish wheel where the wheel nut is below the surface of the wheel face is a MUST. A wheel like the SpeedMind dish where the wheel is concave and the nut is exposed can act like a hook and catch on boards and corners. I noticed that a LOT of breakage can be avoided with a more hidden wheel nut.

The big thing is the Specialized kydex sub-bumper and the PDub high-density bumper. They will save a LOT of broken parts, but not all of them.

Good luck,

doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dont forget a diff rebuild kit... else if the screw in the diff breaks, else you'll be sh*t out of luck ;-)

The blades for the axles and erm... maybe the CF plate for the rear bodyposts. (these tend to break with a bad hit, what I did was glue 2 of the together and that problem was gone).

Thats all I can think of.
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I've added the items I could identify. If I missed something, please give me a better name or perhaps the part number from the Corally Parts List.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Not sure why you would need a spare battery strape or bumper top plate. I broke A LOT of parts on my RDX when I had it, and I never came close to breaking either of those.

Save your money on those and buy a spring kit and a bunch of suspension shims. You'll get more use out of those items.

Again, while I had this car I broke a lot of A-arms—and most of them that broke with the least amount of effort or the softest hits were the expensive 75% ultra hard arms. They are very brittle (yes, stiff, too), and break much easier than the softer arms with more flex. Unless you are a top-level racer and never hit things, the softer ones will last you longer. I learned that one the hard way. You don't need to spend any more money on those than you have to.

And with this car, you will be spending money.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

79164 ASSASSIN Thrust Bearing 'CERAMIC' (1 Pc) (worth it...)
791898 Replacement Caps for Driveshafts (4 Pair)

I never did break much on this car, even only 1 75% arm and I have it for about a year now and I had my fair amount of crashes. The arms are not that fragile... ever driven TC3, now thats fragile :-)
Just depends on how and how hard you hit things.

For the trust bearing, you can also use a carbide from Xray, much cheaper, also pretty good. Thats what I have installed.

Also... battery strap... what do you plan on doing??? wasted money if you ask me (or it should be broken already)
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Not sure why you would need a spare battery strape or bumper top plate. I broke A LOT of parts on my RDX when I had it, and I never came close to breaking either of those.

Save your money on those and buy a spring kit and a bunch of suspension shims. You'll get more use out of those items.

Again, while I had this car I broke a lot of A-arms—and most of them that broke with the least amount of effort or the softest hits were the expensive 75% ultra hard arms. They are very brittle (yes, stiff, too), and break much easier than the softer arms with more flex. Unless you are a top-level racer and never hit things, the softer ones will last you longer. I learned that one the hard way. You don't need to spend any more money on those than you have to.

And with this car, you will be spending money.
I have a broken top bumper plate on my car. =) I didn't do it though, car is secondhand. The battery strap is also somewhat optional.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

No Other Comments?