R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Since you are using the word race "meeting", I'm assuming you are from the UK.

We are mostly talking about stock at on road races. A lot of guys hang around forever in stock, which, at one point in time, was actually considered a lower class to modified.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #47
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
Since you are using the word race "meeting", I'm assuming you are from the UK.

We are mostly talking about stock at on road races. A lot of guys hang around forever in stock, which, at one point in time, was actually considered a lower class to modified.
Yes,im from the UK and fully understand the senario of guys hanging round in stock,it just seems to me that how can this thread start by the words of "full factory stock drive racers"? What about the racers who have a 65/70/75/80/85% drive????

Where do you draw the line?

Its not how much sponsorship one has to do well,its the driver to a large degree

Why target the top drivers to get off the stock bandwagon? They may not feel confident to leave stock and join mod- Being a full factory driver has nothing/little to do with it in my eyes.... You could be paying for everything yourself and doing well in stock. Still the same outcome if youre winning races! (Ok,not at the higest level,that probably would be hard to do but what about the lower levels where the racing is still just as competitive and youre being watched by potential sponsors?)

Its the confidence that driver has to retain his sucess that dictates when they make the changeover. No one should be forced to leave stock and race modified because they keep winning,unless the sponsor asks them to.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you are confusing class of car (stock/mod) with class of racer (amateur/pro/sponsored). The two are not related.
Jon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #49
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3
I think you are confusing class of car (stock/mod) with class of racer (amateur/pro/sponsored). The two are not related.
Maybe a little - yes,but you could still have a pro driver who is not sponsored as much as a full drive sponsor,with equal ability so wheres the difference apart from the level of support he gets,and what does that have to do with anything? Theres no difference in ability,and thats my point.

Its a very loose topic when you try to compare a full drive,pro driver with another pro driver (someone of equal skill winning races),but doesnt have a full drive! So I think the term "full drive sponsor" and implying why dont these drivers move onto mod was a bit biased!

Every driver has their own "level" of skill,and with it maybe sponsorship. Thats my point if it wasnt very clear.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #50
Tech Initiate

practice and beat the factory drivers in stock and mabey someone will pay your way next time!!!thats how i look at it,factory drivers force everyone else to raise their game,and thats a good thing.
Derek K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Ron, has a point about racing factory guy together and the reg Joe's together
the factroy racers have an advantage over the reg Joe's they get the best batteries and also the best motor's that the Joe's don't have access to, now this is a fact i buy my packs from matchers from all corners of the USA and never able to keep up with the factory guys the packs i get is not the best here go the fact i had the opportunity to get a pack from a factory racer and let me tell you that was the fastest i ever go in stock that pack was just off the hook, now in my opinion factory racers should race with factory racers.
Mutabarucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #52
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy
The Temple of Poon was one of my greatest films to date! No special effects either Hodapp, thats all Shlong Right there!

I race Stock sedan and belive that factory guys shouldnt be. REAL factory guys run Mod. But i geuss there are some P***ys out there that are to scared that there "factory" but not good enough to beat real Factory Drivers.

Ok lets break this down...Im trying to figure out what you r asking for i think ive figured it out..
Its the long time ohh Rc owes me something topic..

This is what i get you want

Ok so factory guys shouldnt run stock sedan at a NATIONAL LEVEL.. This way i can go there and not have to worry about racing against anyone good.. Ill have a better spot at making the show, and ill look better even tho i dont have the talent to compete against the big boys..

I want a padded class where everyone with less skill can look good.. They have this class its called novice or sportsman..

Im sorry if it sounds ruff, but thats the truth.. no sugar added..

NATIONALS are for the best of the best to show there stuff.It has always been this way... if your not the best it will show.. All that means is you have to work harder to move up.. Everyone PAYS THERE DUES.. You say it like these guys ran mod at some point, then dropped to stock to dominate.. NOT So.. If stock is where if it in, and im good thats where i race.. You say these guys should basically be forced out of a class cause there to good.. Well if your not good you should be forced down a class then.. Its the same concept, but i doubt you see it that way..

Bottom line.. If you want to make it to the top, Pay your dues and do the owrk to get where you are..NONE of the top guys were walk ons.. dues were payed and there being rewarded for the efforts.. They dont get the best of the best either.. there stuff is based on how they fitinto the list.. Mod guys still get the best stuff.. you can get just as good of stuff as the upper guys over the counternow days.. products are so good all the way around .. Yes you pay more but there there..

P.S stock class at cleveland was won by Stephen Sobottka 2 years ago or so.. he was not full factory.. he won one of the most prestigious races there is..

stock at this years carpet nats was won by Jarod Langlois.. He was also not full factory..

these guys did the work and it payed off..

I would rather go to a big race with 20 top guys in my class.. If i finished somewhere in the middle of them top level guys id feel great i did that well against them..It feels alot better then finishing in the top 10 against a bunch of guys no one ever heard of, and were not as skilled as the fast guys..

Last edited by StephenSobottka; 06-17-2006 at 09:35 AM.
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't blame anybody who has factory support at any level.
If anyone can get support at stock and get thier travel and lodging
paid for more power to them. I wouldn't turn down free travel and lodging
to do something I like to do in the first place.

It ain't gonna ruin my weekend if someone who is faster ends up in the
A-main. I just pretty much pay attention to what i'm doing and hope for
the best. I think I worry more about weekend free of Glitching. lol

That being said factory stock racers should not be compared to mod racers because imo the mod class is trully for the best.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #54
Tech Master

This thread still sounds like sour grapes between the have nots and have's...

Just get over it. In the UK, there is a well supported saloon scene, most do it off their own back, some have got partial sponsorship, very few got factory drives, and there are very few who get transposrt and lodgings either. The ones who do, they deserve it, they have put the effort in, got noticed and are now reaping the rewards, just get over it.

As for the governing body dictating what class you race in, thats BS... soon as you start doing that, you soon start losing drivers.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
Ron, has a point about racing factory guy together and the reg Joe's together
the factroy racers have an advantage over the reg Joe's they get the best batteries and also the best motor's that the Joe's don't have access to, now this is a fact i buy my packs from matchers from all corners of the USA and never able to keep up with the factory guys the packs i get is not the best here go the fact i had the opportunity to get a pack from a factory racer and let me tell you that was the fastest i ever go in stock that pack was just off the hook, now in my opinion factory racers should race with factory racers.
This is argument is just plain tired, in the 90's the battery argument was valid, but now it's just not the case. Doseck won 12th Mod at Cleveland a few years back with a pack purchased right off the counter at the race. I know for a fact that, SMC, Hurricane, and many other matchers put better stuff in the hobby stores than they do in their team drivers pit boxes. They may reserve a few EXCEPTIONAL packs for the Worlds, but I've been to races and seen better stuff on the counter than some of the best Stock racers have in their pits. You are not being beaten by battery. Your motor may not be as strong, or your drivetrain might not be as free, your set-up may not carry as much corner speed, or maybe you just can't drive with the FASTEST stock racers. We're not running 1700's or 2000's anymore. IB and GP have FLOODED the market with really great cells, and the matchers are selling stuff equal or better than they give their team drivers. Next time you think you're getting waxed by battery, give one of your sticks to one of the Team guys and borrow a stick from him, he'll still school you.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

How else are you going to go faster, you must run agaist faster guys. I love running agianst sponsored guys, watching the lines they take, the tires they use, and finding out the rollout they use. Racing againts sponsored guys takes your game to the next level, or at least is a few steps in that direction.
Soak it up, love it and maybe someday you will be one of those guys too, I know im trying.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Everyone wants to win every time they race, but it just isn't going to happen.What most Sponsored guys have more of than the average joe is DEDICATION. Maybe ROAR and the other sanctioning bodies should start a class for the guys who run 6 yr. old chassis, tires with more than 25 runs on them, and 2000 mah stick packs, would anybody whining about the sponsored guys in stock actually race this class? Of course not.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #58
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
This is argument is just plain tired, in the 90's the battery argument was valid, but now it's just not the case. Doseck won 12th Mod at Cleveland a few years back with a pack purchased right off the counter at the race. I know for a fact that, SMC, Hurricane, and many other matchers put better stuff in the hobby stores than they do in their team drivers pit boxes. They may reserve a few EXCEPTIONAL packs for the Worlds, but I've been to races and seen better stuff on the counter than some of the best Stock racers have in their pits. You are not being beaten by battery. Your motor may not be as strong, or your drivetrain might not be as free, your set-up may not carry as much corner speed, or maybe you just can't drive with the FASTEST stock racers. We're not running 1700's or 2000's anymore. IB and GP have FLOODED the market with really great cells, and the matchers are selling stuff equal or better than they give their team drivers. Next time you think you're getting waxed by battery, give one of your sticks to one of the Team guys and borrow a stick from him, he'll still school you.
I don't know what chip on you sholder, but i know that there are much better packs out there now than a few years ago but you can buy a 1.23 volt pack and the IR is 23 and the factory guy packs will be the same 1.23v and the IR will be 15, now put the same racer with the same motor and you will see that the pack with the lower IR will do much faster laps much longer that the pack with the higher IR, I know that the setup drivetrain and all that is a factor but packs with lower IR will kick your ass no matter what you say, and i see the difference in the lap time with the lower IR compare to the higher IR PACKS.
Mutabarucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #59
Tech Regular

I think there are more good stock racers in the classes. It seems like most of the factory mod guys now run 19 classes too. In the past a lot of the factory mod racers ran 12 scale. 12 scale makes the factories no money this is why the factory guys donít race it much any more. A lot of the semi sponsored guys run stock just so they can make there sponsors happy. At a national level there is really no place for the sportsman level driver. No one really has the answer of what to do, should we have a sportsman class or a pro class. What do other racing bodies do? We really donít want to add more classes who like spending 5 days at a big race to race 35 minutes.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Mongo Send a message via Yahoo to Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
I don't know what chip on you sholder, but i know that there are much better packs out there now than a few years ago but you can buy a 1.23 volt pack and the IR is 23 and the factory guy packs will be the same 1.23v and the IR will be 15, now put the same racer with the same motor and you will see that the pack with the lower IR will do much faster laps much longer that the pack with the higher IR, I know that the setup drivetrain and all that is a factor but packs with lower IR will kick your ass no matter what you say, and i see the difference in the lap time with the lower IR compare to the higher IR PACKS.

So True... Voltage is so easy to find you can trip over it. But Lower IR packs aren't always easy to find.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote