R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #151
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
150-odd posts and 4,700+ page reads so far... someone must be interested in this topic—even if you don't care, Brian.

Have to agree , best thread in a long time....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #152
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

brian, it's a toss up, this one's a dandy too :

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=stock
Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #153
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
150-odd posts and 4,700+ page reads so far... someone must be interested in this topic—even if you don't care, Brian.

I'm interested, but anyone who tries to defend people who are fast in stock gets attacked. Personally, I'd rather move up to mod myself. I've made a few A's in stock and yeah that's cool. I wanna make a few more and maybe win one of them, but I'd rather race mod. However, being in college as an engineering major, I absolutely do not have the time required to be fast in modified at more than one race a year. The Novak is the only race I could do it at till I get out of school. Even then, I will simply not have the time to be as competitive in modified as I am in stock. I'll just have to live with C and D mains in mod, which is ok for someone that won't get to race much!

I guess my $0.02 on this whole subject is, unless you've been at the top of stock, you have NO CLUE how much work it takes to get there. So do not say that we're taking the easy way to doing well by racing stock. I think many people that do well in stock would like to race modified and do well, but due to varying circumstances, can't. This next season you should be looking to welcome a few new faces on the modified scene, anyway.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #154
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

some of you guys need to search for Animal Chin....

Last edited by Doug D; 06-23-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #155
Tech Legend

Funny ..
Nobody has mention how the effects "pro-stock" racing has on the local facility`s and racing at these places..

For one ...
These pro-stock racer`s buy their battery`s & motor`s from their sponsor, cutting the facility that hosts the racing for you out...

two

Who are we trying to get to race in this sport ?

Answer
New racer`s !!!!

When a new racer`s starts up in this sport we are lucky if 1 in 10 are even racing after 1 year....

Yet, these new racer`s are the bread & butter for the professional race facility`s...They pay the bills ....

After these new racer`s join in the fun in novice and naturally progress, they are force to bump into stock with these so called "Pro stock" racer`s ...

These new racer`s die out, don`t last long with the fact that they mostly will not win stock for ages and only after mass practice and a sizeable investment in battery`s, time & equipment.

bottom line

This must change , its not helping this sport grow and get better...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #156
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

All I know about stock is this: Seaball made the main at the carpet nats with 1 hand! Next year he's only going to use his mind to drive his car. Its all the wheel, sponsored or un-sponsored.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Good point Ed....now maybe we can have Seaball tell us how he "brokeback" his hand...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #158

Somebody answer this for me then. If stock is for new people to the hobby, then why is there a Stock class at the biggest national events year round? New racers and rookies will never go to a national event to race. Instead they will stay at the local club races and practice. There is no way the organizers of the Snowbirds made Stock touring a class for newbies. If you are new say home and practice, and dont come around complaining that you lost to someone with greater driving ability. Dont even dare saying it was the power or because of a sponsor, blame yourself for sucking at driving first!!!
Express_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #159
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

OH look the Troll express guy makes a comeback after being away for a couple weeks. Who are you you never answered in the ORL thread?

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #160
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

I bet all of the Mod guys are amused by these threads. They set back and laugh at all of the wannabe's.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #161
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA
I bet all of the Mod guys are amused by these threads. They set back and laugh at all of the wannabe's.
Wannabe........what.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #162
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

wanna-be fast
Mo
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #163
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Not every track has a mod class, Wild Cherry, In the area where I race at most if not all tracks have a separate class for the real fast stock guys. And believe it or not guys some of us have no desire to run mod.. For me it's the cost issues associated with running mod that keeps me in expert stock or 19 wind..
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #164
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
These new racer`s die out, don`t last long with the fact that they mostly will not win stock for ages and only after mass practice and a sizeable investment in battery`s, time & equipment.

bottom line

This must change , its not helping this sport grow and get better...
What needs to change is the fact that people expect to just win because they spent XXX amount of money or XXX amount of time. It seems to only be here in the US where people will bitch and moan because they feel that they should win or do better. The truth is someone will always be better than you.

I race carpet at Horsham in the fall, and there are several national level drivers and a slew of very fast drivers. I don't go crying because they are faster than me or because they get some stuff for free, they deserve it. Race your own race and give respect to those who are faster than you.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #165
Tech Adept

I raced BMX as a kid with the ABA sanctioning organization. You started out in the beginner class. When you had won five races, you were required to move up to novice. When you won five of those you had to move to expert. It worked well. You could start at any level you wanted to, but you were required to move up.

When I go to a major race it is because I want to race against the fastest guys (stock or mod). I think people just don't like the mass numbers of supported drivers these days. It is just a clever way the factories have devised to make their products gain recognition. Oh well. I guess it just means that we all have a greater chance of becoming "sponsored". Its all business.

As long as there are people that want to race, races will be held. I don't feel bad for the track owners. Nobody has ever opened a track as a service to other people at their own expense. If they have, then they shouldn't be complaining. They do it in hopes of making money while doing something they like. Its a risk just like any other business. If the manufacturers run the tracks out of business, then they(manufacturers) will just open their own tracks. I'm so tired of people blathering on about how you should feel obligated to pay retail for your parts so the guy that runs your local shop can stay in business. He bought his ticket, he should have known what he was getting into. People need to accept responsibility for their own actions. Our local track owner speaks weekly about how his track won't be here if people don't buy their parts from him. So what. Close it down. A few months will barely pass before a club track opens up to replace it. Then a year will go by before someone new decides to jump in headfirst and open up a track to make money. The cycle will continue and there will always be somewhere to race. Ive seen it happen twenty times. It is reality.
CarbonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote