Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LRP Sphere/Neo-One 4 Star VS Novak GTB/Velociti 4.5 >

LRP Sphere/Neo-One 4 Star VS Novak GTB/Velociti 4.5

LRP Sphere/Neo-One 4 Star VS Novak GTB/Velociti 4.5

Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Default LRP Sphere/Neo-One 4 Star VS Novak GTB/Velociti 4.5

Im currently looking at buying either one of these setups within the next 24 hours and would like to know the pros and cons of both.
It will be going into a touring car.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Pat
Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

LRP system looks bit more compact when instaled in car (capacitatior is smaller etc.) how ever it comes without fan. Its not a problem eastern europe, where weather is not so hot
Old 06-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the 4 star is actually 5.5 turns which would mean the 4.5 Novak system is fastser. I haven't had any experience with the LRP system but I know the Novak system is very easy to work with and is very quick.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Ive had both ESCs. Cant really tell a difference when driving. The LRP is much easier to switch between brushed and brushless and has voltage protection for LIPO. Like others have said it is much easier to fit in the car. You should be able to use either motor with either ESC.

My first Sphere did go up in smoke (not sure why) but the second one has been fine. I exchanged the first no problem at my LHS.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

i have Novak supersport and GTB. I also have LRP Sphere and Sphere competition. Both my Sphere competitions and both went dead in less than one month.

I think the electronics are cramped inside a tiny footprint that the circuit is close to one and another. Recipe for disaster. Waited for few months to get my first Sphere competition (melted) replaced and when I got the replacement, it went dead after few days.I think LRP charger is great but I wont trust their ESCs.

I managed to have several runs with the Sphere competition and Vector BL motor. The driveability and power delivery is far better than the GTB. Unfortunately quality and reliability will require miracle. I think I will just throw away the dead ESC, it aint worth to wait for months to get it replaced.

For time being, I am happy enough with my GTB 5.5. My 1/10 pan car is fast enough when combined with Platinum lipo. I am going to buy another GTB set with 4.5 motor.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

All i can say about Sphere competition quality is that i have been using one since begining of this year in 1/12 pan and 1/10 touring withou ANY problem.
When i tried GTB, car felt a bit "heavy" for me, on the other hand i couldnt tell any difference between LRP system and brushed, so smooth it was
Old 06-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Legend

There both awesome brushless system`s !!!

get either one, you won`t disappointed....
Old 06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

In term of quality, i think it all depends on the products that we have. For example, after the LRP ESC melted as what I attached below, I replaced it with Novak GTB. It's been running fine without any problem.

Unfortunately for me as well, the replacement for the melted ESC also went dead after few days. Coincidence? I dont think so.
Attached Thumbnails LRP Sphere/Neo-One 4 Star VS Novak GTB/Velociti 4.5-dsc01191.jpg  
Old 06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Just to confuse you more here is a picture of a melted GTB:

http://rctech.net/forum/showpost.php...postcount=1021
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

orbital

With Novak, you can get the melted ESC replaced in 2 weeks time if you're in the US and 3-4 weeks if you're in asia pacific.

In this part of the world, I have to wait for 6 months to get my LRP ESC replaced. Imagine how dissapointed I was to find out that my LRP ESC replacement went dead after 3 days. Rather than to wait for another 6 months, I would rather throw it away after stripping the cables, capacitor and switch.

In this part of the world, per capita income is about few times lower than in the US or Europe. However, we pay about the same price as what europeans and americans pay. Hope that you understand how I feel.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by azmio
orbital

With Novak, you can get the melted ESC replaced in 2 weeks time if you're in the US and 3-4 weeks if you're in asia pacific.

In this part of the world, I have to wait for 6 months to get my LRP ESC replaced. Imagine how dissapointed I was to find out that my LRP ESC replacement went dead after 3 days. Rather than to wait for another 6 months, I would rather throw it away after stripping the cables, capacitor and switch.

In this part of the world, per capita income is about few times lower than in the US or Europe. However, we pay about the same price as what europeans and americans pay. Hope that you understand how I feel.
Why 6 months? I had to wait 2 days. Do the hobby stores not return them for you there? Any wait and malfunction is unfortunate no matter what the wait.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

well, it's a love and hate relation. Some of the hobby shops are the sole distributor for the product and they are the only authorized center for return and repair. Some of the manufacturers do not entertain direct dealing with customer for any repair or return. They require that any return to go through the authorized center.

That's why, Novak shines in this part of the world because they allow customer to send the damaged product straight to US without having to wait for the hobby shop to accumulate enough damaged products (some saving on the shipping cost by shipping the whole batch).

To customers, Novak's flexibility saves a lot of money and time. Imagine, through the hobby shop I have to pay around 70-80 ringgit (23 USD) and wait for months. On the other hand, with Novak I pay around 8 USD for the shipping costs and 3 weeks later, the replacement will arrive in my mail box.

Perhaps, in the future, I will buy LRP chargers and not LRP ESCs. I have two Pulsars ever since Jan 2003, and they still rock!

Whatever it is, consider yourself lucky to be in the US or Europe.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pat - i've heard more boo boo's about the LRP than the Novak for sure. But, do consider that you only ever hear bad reviews. And most likely they are in the minority.

From racing experience.. I've also heard from Jay and others who run around BRCC and TFTR that the QC2's are prone to blowing up..

Lots of ppl do say the LRP has better feel. BUt as you know, there are several drivers here who already run the GTB. Yet no-one has an LRP. Says something...

I've also got an LRP Pulsar and it does just fine... It's not new either..

There are many many stories of GTB's overheating - you do need to follow recommended gearing. Azimio will prob. relate stories of his GTB shutting down even following the correct gearing too...

Too bad you weren't around at MTHC during the day on friday. Jenz and i did some quick laps on track.. Wow.

Enough speed to blow past the 2 speed nitro's! By 1/2 straight they were caught... I was running very low gearing though. I would have liked to gear up a little even to add some acceleration. (The cyclone has a problem with spur size and the GTB. you just can't cram a big enough spur in there!)

JGC also managed to blow a GTB Cap.. but he did sell his LRP...

Best reason to buy a GTB of a sphere..

Novak CS is fantastic..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Pat - i've heard more boo boo's about the LRP than the Novak for sure. But, do consider that you only ever hear bad reviews. And most likely they are in the minority.

From racing experience.. I've also heard from Jay and others who run around BRCC and TFTR that the QC2's are prone to blowing up..

Lots of ppl do say the LRP has better feel. BUt as you know, there are several drivers here who already run the GTB. Yet no-one has an LRP. Says something...

I've also got an LRP Pulsar and it does just fine... It's not new either..

There are many many stories of GTB's overheating - you do need to follow recommended gearing. Azimio will prob. relate stories of his GTB shutting down even following the correct gearing too...

Too bad you weren't around at MTHC during the day on friday. Jenz and i did some quick laps on track.. Wow.

Enough speed to blow past the 2 speed nitro's! By 1/2 straight they were caught... I was running very low gearing though. I would have liked to gear up a little even to add some acceleration. (The cyclone has a problem with spur size and the GTB. you just can't cram a big enough spur in there!)

JGC also managed to blow a GTB Cap.. but he did sell his LRP...

Best reason to buy a GTB of a sphere..

Novak CS is fantastic..
did you try the 110?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Angryasian

Yup, I did suffer when I got my first Novak GTB. I did all by the book and yet the ESC slowed down. Did everything I could and could not solve the problem.

Contacted Charlie and he confirmed that the temperature sensor was defective. Sent it to US as Charlie recommended and got the replacement. The replacement is basically a reworked unit but nevertheless it performed flawlessly until now. It's my darling and my workhorse, never let me down during showdowns with Nitro TCs. Now that my platinum lipo gives it extra boost, I love my GTB even more.

The morale of the story, both GTB and Sphere Competition are not bullet proof. Simple statistic revealed that I got myself 2 new Sphere competition ESCs and both went self destruct within 1-4 weeks. Simple statistic also revealed that I have 2 GTBs, 1st one has defective temp sensor but the replacement rocks my world.

When problems arise, the supports that I got from Novak were great. The other one is not worth mentioning.

The choice is yours and when you happen to live in this part of the world, there is not much choice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.