R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got off the phone with Eric from Acer Racing. These guys are a class act. If they don't have the bearing kit for your car listed, they'll work with you and try to create on for you. Because of that, I've upgraded my polymide bearing order to ceramic nitride for the TB Evo3.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:19 PM   #92
Tech Apprentice

Did you tell them which bearings are required for the Evo III? I tried to order some last week, but they didn't have a kit for them yet. If they know now, maybe I'll order some of the polyamide bearings for the Evo III.
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #93
Tech Elite

For the Evo3, all I did was copy the sizes and quantities of the bearings from the back page of the Evo3 instruction manual into an email that I sent them. Yes, they are aware of that they do not have a kit for the Evo3 but I'm sure they'll work with you once you put in the request. Give them a call or shot them an email and they'll hook you up.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #94
Tech Apprentice

I'll have to do that. I already ordered the polyamide for the 414m2 and the TA04r and also some teflon shielded for the TA04r. Since I've heard bad things about the bearings in the EvoIII, I'd prefer to replace the bearings before I build it.

Last edited by underdog; 02-13-2003 at 01:43 PM.
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:31 PM   #95
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone used the Trinity ceramic bearings??? I looked at some today, races are VERY thick, which is nice... felt really smooth and free, but I haven't seen any on the track yet. Anybody using them?
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can you feel a big difference when you use ceramic bearings?
Old 02-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Brian Kinwald uses them hehehe. I guess the reason why you don't see too many Trinity ceramic ball bearing equiped cars is a.) ceramic cost a lot more than normal bearings and b.) Trinity probably tops it off with even more excessive pricing to make their buck

In any event, I'll let you guys know how my ceramic experiment works out.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:56 AM   #98
Cat
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
For the Evo3, all I did was copy the sizes and quantities of the bearings from the back page of the Evo3 instruction manual into an email that I sent them. Yes, they are aware of that they do not have a kit for the Evo3 but I'm sure they'll work with you once you put in the request. Give them a call or shot them an email and they'll hook you up.
Could u let me have a set of size of full set bearing ? since my friend lost my manual and i don't know the size of bearing for TB3.
I'd like to order from acer too.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:29 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Default TB Evo3 bearing sizes

The quantity and sizes are as follows:

4 10x15mm
2 8x12mm
1 6x12mm
8 5x11mm
2 5x8mm

Also this does not include the two steering bearings and I am not sure of their sizes. Maybe their 3x6 but I'm uncertain.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default Polyamide seals

This question was asked on the previous page.

The Polyamide sealed bearing is just a standard bearing with a hard plastic non contact seal. There is no friction from the seal as it does not contact the inner race. The advantage over a no contact metal shielded bearing is that it is colored and maybe a tiny bit lighter. No real gain over a metal shield.

A teflon sealed bearing will have some seal friction as there is contact with the inner race. Teflon is a slippery plastic so the seal friction will be low. The ability to seal dirt out will be better than with a noncontact seal.

As Acer does not list the type of lubricant in the bearings as well as the grade of bearing it is hard to make an intelligent choice from their offerings. I got oiled metal shielded bearings instead of greased bearings just because this important information is not available on the Acer Web site.

Dirty track-use a teflon sealed bearing with grease.

Wheel bearings on a touring car usually fail by brinneling of the outer and inner race; when you tap a board the balls make indentations in the races. The bearing then rachets a little as it turns. Check this by pushing the bearing onto a pencil and then turning the outer race by hand. If it rachets or does not turn smoothly then it's toast. I doubt that ceramic balls will improve the durablility of the wheel bearing as it is the races that fail. Ceramic balls, being harder than steel, will make this problem worse. I would only use ceramics in the drivertrain in places other than the wheels like in the outdrive bearings.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-13-2003 at 05:24 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:36 PM   #101
Tech Master

Location: Time to put down the Golf clubs and poker chips and GO RACIN!
Send a message via AIM to Bigtbone

What is the size of the xxxs diff bearings? I want to get those in ceramic..
Bigtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 02:29 PM   #102
Tech Elite

XXXS outdrive bearing, .5 inch id x .75 inch od x .150 inch wide
Old 02-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #103
Tech Master

Location: Time to put down the Golf clubs and poker chips and GO RACIN!
Send a message via AIM to Bigtbone

kewl, thanks

John have you had problems withthe xxxs one way bearing?
Bigtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #104
Tech Elite

I just bought teflon sheilded bearings from Acer and two of my bearings has lost its Teflon sheild, is this normal? or did I get bad bearings?
I have heared that they easily come of.
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:17 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Bigtbone-I had a Losi oneway bearing fail when I used it on a dusty oudoor track for a while. Dirt got in it. What I do now is fill the oneway cavity with a silicone grease, push in the shafts so that the grease oozes out. Wipe off the excess. This seals it up very well. Lasted 8-9 months of hard use with no problems after that. In use on the track, the one way bearing shafts rotate very slowly with respect to the bearing. The extra grease does not hamper operation at all, just adds extra sealing.

izzyracer-The teflon seals should not come off. You might be able to put it back if the tiny circular spring clip is still on the bearing and you have the seal. Remove the tiny clip with the point of an X-acto knife, reinstall the seal, then the clip. Or send it back for replacement.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-13-2003 at 05:22 PM.