R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Wanting a touring car for street and p-lot

Hello im interested in touring cars but i heard they can be a pain in the neck to keep everything tight and running correct. Im wanting an electric and wanting it to just run in the p-lot and the street but i heard it's really hard on them. Is there anyway i can get one that i can run off the track? I like the TC4 but open for suggestions and the best. Also is drifting only for tracks i really would like to get into that also.
bpandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tamiya TL-01 if its your first RC car, Losi XXX-s if you have run some before.

TL-01 is a very simple car thats pretty much bulletproof and XXX-s has a sealed drivetrain to keep out dirt and debris.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

A TC4 is your best option. While you do have to maintain your car, especially if you are running it in dirty streets, I don't think it would be any harder to do. Maintaining the TC4 is especially easy, because if its design. And drifting is for anywhere! My friend and I love to drift around his kitchen floor, or out in his driveway. You really can drift anywhere, and it is especially fun to do inside. You should really invest in a fan for your electronics, because your motor can and will get especially hot drifting, because its always at high revs with little airflow.
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

this will be my first touring car that i have ever driven, so im looking for a good one that i can upgrade the motor to a brushless so i have little upkeep on the motor. Also can anyone give me a link for some good drifter cars and do they cost much? So you can run touring cars on the main streets and everything then? I want one that i can get parts for pretty cheap and easy.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I may look like a newbie on this site but I've been into R/C cars since I was 12 (now 22)

To be honest with you any RC you get will need to be maintained. Just depends on how much you drive or 'beat' on it haha. My first RC was a TA04 and I beat the crap out of it but always made sure everything was greased and correctly tightned and spaced. She last me a whole year before I moved on. I've ran alot of weekend parking lot stuff (use to have my own fire hose and cones) with a group of other guys and same situation. Just like your real car, you take care of it and it will take care of you.

Start off with a basic kit. Maybe a Team Losi or Associated, maybe even a HPI. Don't go out and spend a bunch of money of expensive stuff you don't need. Also make sure you buy a kit that your local hobby shop supports so if you break anything you can get parts easily. Just go out and shop and get a feel for a certain car that matches you.

Last edited by SoCal_330ci; 06-11-2006 at 11:35 PM.
SoCal_330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I just don't know which to go with the XXX-T or the XXX-S i mean i already have a Mini LST with some upgrades and i've wanted a touring car since i first looked at one, i don't really like to bash much like most people say they bash i just like to slide around and run fast in the parkinglot so i think i would like a touring car better. So which would be better the TC4 or the XXX-S or the JRXS 4wd 1/10th Electric On Road Racing Sedan can you run brushless motors on touring cars?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Why even get a TC4, get a Factory Team TC3, you can pick them up for real cheap and you can run any motor you want in it. Stay away from carbon fiber chassis cars for parking lots unless you plan to make sure there isn't a single rock on it... I'm setting up my old TC3 and MR4TC-SD for my son and I to screw around in the street and lots.... Rubber tires and a lot of ground clearance...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Tech Addict

HB Cyclone S would be great. Then upgrade with hop-ups later when you want to go for some serious racing. There are tons of hop-up parts for the Cyclone. You won't regret getting this car. The price is just right too.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

could you all give me some links or something im kinda lost on where to find these cars? Thanks Aaron im not much for racing im thinking about just going ahead and getting a XXX-T and then a nice Drifter. So im more looking for a nice drifter then if you can run them on the street also that would be sweet.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

link to where we can buy the cyclone-s? that would be a great car for bashing/racing.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpandragon
could you all give me some links or something im kinda lost on where to find these cars? Thanks Aaron im not much for racing im thinking about just going ahead and getting a XXX-T and then a nice Drifter. So im more looking for a nice drifter then if you can run them on the street also that would be sweet.
HPI Racing: www.hpiracing.com
HB: www.hotbodiesonline.net or www.atsushihara.com

HPI also has a Drift car. The kit is a RS4 Sprinter 2. You might want to check that out too.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
HPI also has a Drift car. The kit is a RS4 Sprinter 2. You might want to check that out too.

It's basically a Pro2 with less graphite. It's a solid racing platform, although a little outdated. I have a Pro2, and I fitted some Pro4 parts on it, and it is once again a solid car.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote